• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Helping a friend: is that allowed?

OP - there is a reason why they are called "drop in triggers". Hell, Four Seasons advertises that they will install an Apex trigger that you purchase from them, while you wait. They have installed a couple of short reset triggers on my Sigs for me before I picked them up.

Chances are, if your buddy is ever in a place that an investigator is examining the type of trigger on his Glock, he has much much bigger problems than the stupid trigger. Like whether to accept the plea deal for manslaughter or go to trial for murder.
FWIW, the two main reasons I don't own Glocks are grip angle and the stock trigger. You can't really change the grip angle, but the trigger is an easy fix.

Finally, another NESer willing to call Glock stock triggers what they are- crap! Of course that goes hand in hand (ass?) for any striker fired pistol but we accept that.

Yes, they are called drop in for a reason. However, it is a firearm and some caution when modifying isn't such a bad thing. No reason to flame OP like this guy:

If your friend is too stupid to handle a punch then he is too stupid to handle a firearm.

You need a punch to replace a Glock trigger and about 5 min to watch a video on how to do it.

If you are a troll looking to stir up some shit about working on guns without a gunsmith license then gtfo.

If you were asking about welding rails into an AK receiver then it would be a different story, but the ease of the task makes your OP suspicious.

No need to be a dick. If you want to smoke out a troll, there are more artful ways to do it without being rude to a potentially sincere OP. Just my opinion. If he were to be enquiring how to weld rails to AK receiver- then it's time to be a dick for wanting to create such an abomination. ;)

jesus f***ing christ - and all his apostles.

It's a f***ing handgun. If you're competent to help your friend, just do it.
If you're not competent to do it, then find someone who is.

Replacing a trigger on a Glock isn't "gunsmithing", and it's not illegal in Massachusetts.

jesus f***ing christ - and all his apostles.

It's a f***ing handgun. If you're competent to help your friend, just do it.
If you're not competent to do it, then find someone who is.

Replacing a trigger on a Glock isn't "gunsmithing", and it's not illegal in Massachusetts.

That's what I would have thought as well. You can have a gunsmith replace a trigger for you, but the act itself isn't gunsmithing because it isn't fabricating a part, fabricating a gun or a part of a gun, nor is it physically altering any part of an existing gun (no cutting, drilling, welding, soldering, or finishing). Just punching some pins. I feel that this falls into the same category as replacing sights, which I also wouldn't consider gunsmithing.

there is a reason why they are called "drop in triggers".
i'm not mechanical at all, did 6 of my glocks, triggers, connectors and springs. f***ing easy!

here's a nugget....the said glock is used in a self defense situation. this glock is taken into evidence and the prosecution has an expert go over it. they find a non-stock trigger and the light bulb goes off. someone gave this instrument of death a "hair trigger" and for what....to knowingly kill easier. under the threat of several more years added to his sentence if convicted, the friend is pointing that finger screaming "him! he did it! he fooled with the trigger. i told him no but he did it anyway! him i tell you!" in several years, the op and said friend will be laughing at this whole situation while sitting out in the exercise yard munching slim jims and drinking yoo hoo purchased in the prison commissary. [laugh]
[rofl]youze guys that take me seriously....lighten up! [laugh]

When you ask oddball questions like this, there will always be a few statists and busybodies who say you're illegally performing unlicensed gunsmith work. These people have likely taken a Massad Ayoob course in the late 80's. These are the same type of people who also argue that three kicks of the same can constitutes illegal transportation of garbage, or that you can't put squirrels down your pants for the purpose of gambling.

Ignore them, and help your friend drop in a trigger. You'll be just fine. The staties will not kick down your door and shoot your dog. You're not goin' to jail. Maura doesn't care. Nothing will happen. Also, there is no such thing as a grown man who is incapable of swapping triggers on a Glock.

Nice Simpsons reference.

As Emacs says, just help your friend with the trigger and charge accordingly (pizza and beer?). But unless he's a complete dunce, he should be able to do it himself even if he's wearing mittens.

It is really sad they way that the state has browbeaten gun owners so badly that they think that everything’s illegal.

Bob

9-F58-D6-A2-5373-403-C-9-C1-C-EFC2-BF43-A700.gif

here's a nugget....the said glock is used in a self defense situation. this glock is taken into evidence and the prosecution has an expert go over it. they find a non-stock trigger the same make and model of bullets used by your local police department, but from a different lot and the light bulb goes off. someone gave this instrument of death a "hair trigger" death bullets and for what....to knowingly kill easier.
FTFY.

If your friend is too stupid to handle a punch then he is too stupid to handle a firearm.

You need a punch to replace a Glock trigger and about 5 min to watch a video on how to do it.
I had no idea Glocks were such hangar queens.

I only need a length of bamboo chopstick to remove the mainspring housing pin on our 1911.
The tip even fits the dimple.

When you ask oddball questions like this, there will always be a few statists and busybodies who say you're illegally performing unlicensed gunsmith work. These people have likely taken a Massad Ayoob course in the late 80's.
ayoob.jpg

These are the same type of people who also argue that three kicks of the same can constitutes illegal transportation of garbage, or that you can't put squirrels down your pants for the purpose of gambling.
instructor-slider-massad-ayoob-300x300.jpg

Ehh, why do I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of grumpy old men? It was a noob question! Ya'll could have just said, "it's ok". Мудаки старые...

Ehh, why do I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of grumpy old men? It was a noob question! Ya'll could have just said, "it's ok". Мудаки старые...

Pfft, exactly what a troll would say. WINK.

What I said wasn't put nicely, but it isn't untrue given the way you described your friend.

Here's a shout out to all of the helpy helpertons who "wouldn't give an interview to a reporter", but will spill their guts as long as the "interview" is broken down into a bunch of individual OPs

If you are worried that your friend would tell anyone you did the trigger in the event of a self defense situation then you need better friends and you need to tell your friend to see a qualified gunsmith. Some have mentioned places that will do it while you wait.

Sorry to be so harsh. Welcome.

Would you ask NES the same type of advice regarding the replacement of a lawnmower belt? Or a cutting blade on a trimmer? A tool is a tool. Act accordingly.
He is asking if doing so would be considered gunsmithing and require a license. No such license is required for replacing a lawnmower belt or blade on a trimmer, so you analogy is irrelevant unless you are one of those "the second amendment is my carry permit" types.

It probably falls into the same category as selling a shooting buddy some of your ammo without a MA license to sell ammunition.

Back
Top Bottom