• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help

My buddy has a Ruger 22 PISTOL that I want to buy but he lives in RI Do I just do a F-10 paper work on it. I need somne help thanks

My buddy has a Ruger 22 PISTOL that I want to buy but he lives in RI Do I just do a F-10 paper work on it. I need somne help thanks

No!! 1968 Fed gun laws prohibits private sale from residents of 2 different states. If it can be transferred, it has to go through an FFL to you. Best bet is to ask an FFL (local to you or close to you, or one that you've done business with) if it can be transfered and whether or not your friend has to send it from an FFL in RI (I'm fuzzy on that one but I think he'll have to). Once you do the transfer, the FFL will fill out the FA-10, as well as all the rest of the paperwork.

No!! 1968 Fed gun laws prohibits private sale from residents of 2 different states. If it can be transferred, it has to go through an FFL to you. Best bet is to ask an FFL (local to you or close to you, or one that you've done business with) if it can be transfered and whether or not your friend has to send it from an FFL in RI (I'm fuzzy on that one but I think he'll have to). Once you do the transfer, the FFL will fill out the FA-10, as well as all the rest of the paperwork.

There's no requirement that it be sent from an FFL (although there are FFLs at the recieving end that may insist upon it... take your buisness elsewhere), and a handgun can not be shipped via USPS (only common carrier... FedX, UPS)

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a) (3), 922(a)(5) and 922(e), 27 CFR 478.31 and 478.30]

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8

The other thing I might add is I think that it has to be shipped overnight (that one I'm fuzzy on). [grin]

There's no requirement that it be sent from an FFL (although there are FFLs at the recieving end that may insist upon it... take your buisness elsewhere), and a handgun can not be shipped via USPS (only common carrier... FedX, UPS)

That's what I wasn't sure about. Thanks LN.

The other thing I might add is I think that it has to be shipped overnight (that one I'm fuzzy on). [grin]

Yes, it has to be. THAT one I know. [laugh] [wink]

This is true.

This is not necessarily true...I believe that if an individual is shipping one to an FFL, the carrier, such as FedEx or UPS, will make you ship it overnight. I happen to know some FFLs ship their guns via Priority Mail.

This is not necessarily true...I believe that if an individual is shipping one to an FFL, the carrier, such as FedEx or UPS, will make you ship it overnight. I happen to know some FFLs ship their guns via Priority Mail.

I thought he was referring to UPS or FedEx - that has to be done overnight by their rules. [smile]

IFF the gun is transferable in MA (on EOPS List and AG Regs compliant - this is short form, more in Gun Laws with Adv. Search), they can meet and go together to a MA FFL with the gun and do the transfer (MA Dealer does the paperwork).

If it is not MA compliant, no go and you can 't get it here legally.

I happen to know some FFLs ship their guns via Priority Mail.

They're probably doing that to avoid the insane/obscene costs of overnight shipping. If the counter person asks them what's in the package, they probably tell them "parts" or "machine parts" or something like that.

Downside of that is if the gun actually is stolen (or lost), how would the claim be settled?

Login,

WRONG! Read the Fed Law and Postal Regs!!

US Postal Regs ALLOW DEALERS to ship handguns via USPO. The Regs specifically DISALLOW citizens or C&R FFL holders from using the USPO for shipment of handguns.

They're probably doing that to avoid the insane/obscene costs of overnight shipping. If the counter person asks them what's in the package, they probably tell them "parts" or "machine parts" or something like that.

Downside of that is if the gun actually is stolen (or lost), how would the claim be settled?

USPS has a means of FFLs to send handguns via mail, no problem. If
you are an FFL you can fill out a certain form to do it... it's not a big deal
at all, actually.

Regardless of wether or not one is a licensee, not notifying
a common carrier that the package contains a firearm is against
federal law.

-Mike

Last edited:

wHAT IS A FFL?

Thanks Glenn. I want say some thing some people are quick to judge other's I belive everyone in this site was not born wih all the know how's of trems, and wisdom so I wouls like to say thanks you to all of you that have been helpful and for those that are quick to judge just remember that you were in my shoe's and some one thought WHAT YOU KNOW NOW

chfljm, there is a sticky thread in the General forum for acronyms used around here, might be a good place for you to start.

It's always better to start with stickies in any new forum you visit, some of the irregulars get (way too) testy about frequently asked questions. They tend to forget they were new once, too; they didn't start out as all-knowing oracles to be revered on high [rolleyes]

Some one needs to sit down with this person (read his other post)!!

I think he might be headed for [flame]

This is like [horse] .

Perhaps we should take up a collection to buy him a CLUE. His posts indicate a severe case of inertia....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom