1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Help With TV Problem

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by massgun, Jul 11, 2018.

1. massgun

massgun

Short story, TV will not allow me to select "TV" input. Was working fine until I connected an external tuner by HDMI to see if it would pull in more channels than the TV tuner (I don't have cable). The external tuner actually did get me more channels, but when I tried to go back to the "TV" input after reconnecting the antenna directly to the TV for a final comparison, the TV would not go back to the "TV" input. It will currently only toggle between the HDMI inputs for the external tuner and the Roku and the "PC" input which has nothing connected to it.

My BIL had brought the tuner over and he has no clue either why the "TV" input can't be selected, and he is much more tech savvy than I am. I tried unplugging the TV, have run through all the "settings" items and can not figure it out. The TV is a Sony 46" set, 7 years old. Would appreciate any thoughts/opinions. Thanks for your replies.

2. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

WTF is TV input???? Are you sure that was the setting??? Everything's either HDMI or an antenna these days, I think. But I'd first check if what you THOUGHT it was connected as before is really something else. Only b/c, "been there, done that."

If you're sure, you'll have to try a full reset. But 7yrs is a dinosaur set these days. (My set is about that old. My Surround Sound is pushing 20 yrs. The display is so dim you can't read it anymore. One of my kids bumps a button and I'm F'd for 3 hours trying to figure out what they pressed and such. LOL. Time to upgrade that bad-boy.)

3. BTSDOG

BTSDOG NES Member

if you dissconnect the tuner, can you select the inputs...if so, does the tuner have its own remote, you may need to select inputs with that if possible....

4. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

TVs usually let you label the inputs (VCR, BD player, Video gaming etc), see if you can find that function and make sure the TV input is active, not disabled.

5. massgun

massgun

The "TV" input is exactly what it says and is the 1'st on the list that pops up on the screen when I press the "input" button on the remote. Other choices are; HDMI, video, component and PC. The "TV" input was what it was and should be set to when using an antenna and I can't highlight that input to put the TV back in that mode. That is also one of my newer TV's, I have 2 Sharp Aquos TV's from 2000 still going strong! It was working fine before my BIL came over and we hooked up the external tuner, I guess I'll just blame him! [laugh]

6. massgun

massgun

No to first question, yes to second, but tuner remote does not have any button to select an input.

R_Wilson likes this.
  7. massgun

massgun

Nope, not disabled or locked. This is a real head scratcher for me, one minute it was working fine, next minute not working!

8. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

The "TV" input would be for the built in tuner. Is there a reset option on the TV somewhere? Newer TVs can download newer firmware, but you said 7 years old, and Sony, so I am guessing not. So maybe try the reset?

And, stop buying Sony....they always suck and usually release flaky half finished products.

9. minininjer

minininjer NES Door Greeter NES Member

Maybe I didn't catch it in your original description but after doing all of that, did you remove the tuner that is connected via HDMI and then try to select "TV" again? Just to see if everything can go back to normal as if you didn't try the external tuner?

10. Choctaw

Choctaw NES Life Member NES Member

Maybe the external tuner disabled the internal tuner? Can you run through the initial set up procedure as if it were a new tv?

from Sony . . . "If a set-top box, direct cable, or over-the-air antenna is connected to the CABLE/ANTENNA input, the built-in tuner should be auto programmed again.

IMPORTANT: Built-in-tuner needs to be selected when setting up the TV service step on initial setup."

quincy likes this.
  11. RumRunner

RumRunner NES Member

Tell the BIL he has to leave the external tuner with you because he messed up your TV. If it gets more channels anyway, keep it.

12. Matt-CZ

Matt-CZ NES Member

You should look to see if there is an option to factory reset. Maybe through the TV menu items, or through a small pinhole button somewhere on the back. That would bring you back to off the shelf settings.

Edit: This may be applicable to your TV set:

Reset the TV to Original Factory Settings | Sony USA

13. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

I'm guessing when you connected the external tuner is disabled the onboard tuner, and somehow it stayed disabled.

mibro likes this.
  14. LuvDog

LuvDog NES Member

I’m assuming by TV input you mean the coax input on the back.

Did you unplug the HDMI? Did TV become and option again?

Is there a Coax cable plugged in to the TV?

Some TVs won’t allow an input to be selected if they don’t detect something plugged in to that port.

Did you try plugging the external tuner in to a different HDMI port? It’s unlikely but possible that your TV ties the first HMDI port and the TV input together and only allows one or the other as an option.

15. HorizontalHunter

HorizontalHunter NES Member

if there is a "pinhole button" reset you will use a straightened. paper clip to reset the TV. You can also try to unplug it for 30-45 minutes and see if it resets.

Bob

16. massgun

massgun

PROBLEM SOLVED! Found buried deep in the settings menu that somehow the "TV" input had, in fact, been turned "off". No idea how it happened, but I turned it back "on" and all is well. Thank you all for your suggestions, a reset would have been my last resort.

17. quincy

quincy NES Member

Exactly this ^^^

18. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

No "default" setting in menu?

19. massgun

massgun

there is a reset option in the menu, but I didn't want to do that unless I had no choice. Problem solved, see post #16 above

20. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

What do I win? :)

21. LoginName

LoginName NES Member

Did you check the settings menu to make sure the TV input was turned on?

Sometimes its buried deep in the settings and you have to hunt around for it.

22. massgun

massgun

See my post 16 above, yes I did have to hunt for it!

23. massgun

massgun

Hey Varmint, Choctaw actually guessed it 5 minutes before you. Anyway, I didn't know I had to offer a prize to whoever solved my problem, so I got nuthin but a "Thank You"! :D

24. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

See my first post. It’s all about bragging rights!

Jokes aside I encountered this same problem before, someone disabled all the HDMI inputs.

25. massgun

massgun

Sorry Varmint, went back and saw your first post where you mentioned it. My problem is I'm an old fart, not very tech savvy, and still don't understand how connecting an external tuner to the TV by HDMI would disable or "turn off' the "TV" input. I don't see a reason for any input to be disabled, as all you're going to see on the screen is whatever is being fed by some device through whatever input you select, why turn other inputs "off".

26. Varmint

Varmint NES Member

Just guessing, but the TV senses an external tuner and doesn't want to confuse you with two TV inputs, so it disables the other one. Could be intentional or a bug.