• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HELP with Sig P938

Hi guys, I ran into a problem today at the range with my Sig P938.

A little history. The guide rod on the Sig P938 is actually 2 pieces. The first piece is the cylindrical head, the rod itself then screws into this head. My rod backed out of the head and was lost about 2 weeks ago. I called Sig, they sent a replacement rod and a new recoil spring. I cleaned the gun and installed the rod and spring. Things seemed to go smoothly and the slide and trigger were all working fine when I was done.

Today was my first time back at the range since installing the new guide rod and spring. Although today, on several occasions, when I put a loaded mag in and depressed the slide release lever, the slide would not go all the way back to full forward position. It would stop maybe 2 mm short. I could then take my thumb and manually push the slide forward the 2mm to the full forward position. The gun would then function completely normal without problems. However, I would run into the same problem when I put in a new loaded mag. Without any mag in, the slide works fine. It does not have this problem. I dunno if its a problem with the mag or the gun. It's annoying though. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would take the slide and grips off and make sure everything is moving properly. I had an issue with my 938 where I removed the grips to give it a thorough cleaning and one of the bars dislodged and sat on top of the trigger bar so it would not function properly. I think it was the disconnect bar sitting over the trigger bar. Make sure it's under and not on top of the trigger bar.

Ok thanks, I'll check it out. I'm really hoping I don't need to take the grips off bc I have rosewood grips. I lost a screw at the range before so I put blue locktite on all of them.

Where you located? If Hopkinton/Southboro works for you, you are welcome to try my slide and guide rod in a process of elimination.
-Brian

Last edited:
"My rod backed out of the head and was lost about 2 weeks ago." " I lost a screw at the range..." (Almost sounds like cause and effect. No rod, no screw. [wink])
Wait, you lost your rod and a screw..., on the same new gun??? What are the odds? [shocked]
White Feather

Where you located? If Hopkinton/Southboro works for you, you are welcome to try my slide and guide rod in a process of elimination.
-Brian

Thank you Brian that is very kind and much appreciated.

Yes chopper man, i lost a grip screw at the range and about a month later i lost the guide rod. Both times i called Sig. They send my a replacement with no questions asked and their solution is to just put blue loctite on the new pieces. I guess it's an easy fix but it is an inconvience. I feel like saying to them, i have loctite but why do i feel like my 6 month old gun is now being held together with loctitie. It doesnt bode well for sig. know what i mean? not to mention the fact that i dont carry this gun. It sits pretty in my safe...no pocket lint, no bumps and bruises...etc.

So today i spent some time at home putting loaded magazines into the gun and depressing the slide release lever (safety on of course). First i used Blazer Brass. I repeated the process maybe 40 times and not once did i have my problem with the slide. I then switched to Winnie white box. This is the stuff i was using at my last range trip. I repeated the same process maybe 50 times. Only twice did the slide stop short about 2 mm.
At this point, I think it may be the magazines. I have 2 sig mags, both bought new about 4 months ago. After i depress the slide release, i then take the mag out. But several times the SECOND round would come falling out with the mag. It was already out of the magazine. (I was loading both mags up to full capcity.). If the second round was not already out of the mag upon mag release, then it was half way out but still in the mag. I think the springs are too tight in the mags and it's that very excited, second round that is somehow interfering with the slide. I dont store my mags loaded. I will start today in an effort to get those springs dampened out a bit.
happy saturday!

The problem I mentioned above was with the mag disconnect rod sitting on top of the trigger rod. Since your problem seems to be related to mags it's worth unscrewing the grip to rule out that issue. Personally, I remove my grips to give the gun a good cleaning so I wouldn't locktite the screws in. One thing that helps me is that I now use rubber Hogue grips so the rubber helps keep the screw in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom