• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help with rifle ID

radioman

NES Member
Hello NES,
I have a chance to pick up this rifle cheap! Can you folks help me out with any information on it? It says US Property, No4MKI on it and a date of 1942 but nothing else but serial numbers and no caliber markings?? 30-06?? There are no sights and by the looks there is no provisions for a front sight at all. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

DSC_2663.jpg

DSC_2658.jpg

DSC_2659.jpg

DSC_2661.jpg

Enfield - shoots .303 if it has not been modified - had one but used it as a trade in on another rifle.

I hope you didn't pay more then about $75 for it.

What you are looking at is a "sporterized" Enfield No.4 MK 1. That's the Bolt Action Rifle used by the UK, it's colonies, Australia, and a few others during WW2. The barrel looks like it's been cut and the stock has been shaved down. Most likely post war. This was done with some rifles that were turned into target shooters and hunting rifles.

Most people here who know me will tell you that this sort of thing kills me. Sorry to say, other then a shooter, parts, or perhaps a restoration job (unlikely), it has no real monitary value. Shoot it, and have fun.

The ammo is .303 Brit. Not extremely difficult to find, most people will have it from time to time or will more then happily order it for you.

I hope you didn't pay more then about $75 for it.

What you are looking at is a "sporterized" Enfield No.4 MK 1. That's the Bolt Action Rifle used by the UK, it's colonies, Australia, and a few others during WW2. The barrel looks like it's been cut and the stock has been shaved down. Most likely post war. This was done with some rifles that were turned into target shooters and hunting rifles.

Most people here who know me will tell you that this sort of thing kills me. Sorry to say, other then a shooter, parts, or perhaps a restoration job (unlikely), it has no real monitary value. Shoot it, and have fun.

The ammo is .303 Brit. Not extremely difficult to find, most people will have it from time to time or will more then happily order it for you.

Thank you. I paid a lot less than 75, a lot less closer to 0 than 75!![wink]
Do you know where I could get a set of sights for it?? Or a scope mount.

Another question--

If it's a British rifle why does it say US Property??

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield

Note 2: Savage-made Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk I* rifles are all stamped "US PROPERTY". They were supplied to the UK under the Lend-Lease programme during the Second World War. No Savage Lee-Enfields were ever issued to the US military; the markings existed solely to maintain the pretence that American equipment was being lent to the UK rather than permanently sold to them.[76]

Another question--

If it's a British rifle why does it say US Property??

What a shame, bubba took the best of the Enfields...US made Savage...and chopped it up. I'll bet it will shoot just fine and you have a blast with it. I have an old #4 Mk1 that is very fast to cycle and extremely accurate. Great rifle! Enjoy!

It would probably cost you somewhere between $150-$200 in parts to restore it to original condition. Certain parts for the Lee Enfield are getting scarce. If the bore and headspace are good, I would just clean it up and put a scope on it.

Just keep it as is. Put a scope mount on it and buy a original configuration one at a gun show or on line at one of the auction sites or the other major surplus suppliers. These and other rifles like Mausers, 1903A3, Krags, etc. were dirt cheap long before most folks on this forum were born. Folks made them into hunting rifles. Heck if you paid 10 bucks for a rifle wouldn't you[wink]

What a shame, bubba took the best of the Enfields...US made Savage...and chopped it up. I'll bet it will shoot just fine and you have a blast with it. I have an old #4 Mk1 that is very fast to cycle and extremely accurate. Great rifle! Enjoy!

Just YHO. I think Longbranch rifles are the "best". JMHO

It is a poor candidate for restoration. It is hard to tell by the pic provided, but it looks like the barrel was cut below the front sight. To restore it you will need to buy a new barrel and put it on or hire a gunsmith to do it. Then you will need a forstock and the handguards, the front sight guard with screws and then the rear sight and pin. Since it is a Savage, all the parts should be marked with their S in a box stamp to restore it properly. The stock parts alone will cost you more than $100. The bolt knob also looks round, which would not be right for a savage. Does the number on the bolt match the receiver?

TO restore it will be more expensive than finding a new one. Find a scope and mount it and you will have a hunting rifle. As far as value, it is worth about $100 as a surplus hunter.

you could get a scope mount for it. There is one on EE right now that I think will fit. [rofl]

B

bubbascopemount.jpg

Just joking. Nice gun you got. Good excuse to post this pic though. Yours looks in much better shape.

Back
Top Bottom