Help with RI LTC laws & residency requirements

pinefd

NES Member
Hello all,

After some exhaustive research, I’ve pretty much given up trying to figure this all out myself, and “my local PD” won’t give me the time of day, so I’m hoping some of you here might be able to help out. Here’s the story:

My primary residence is in MA, and I’ve had a LTC here for 20+ years. We also own a home in Portsmouth, RI, which we purchased 17 years ago. We hope to move down there in the next couple of years after my wife retires. I obtained my blue card down in RI three years ago, although I’m not really sure what good that does me, since I can’t use it to buy anything down there anyway (since I’m not technically a RI resident).

I stopped by the Portsmouth PD the other day to inquire about getting a non-resident LTC and got a rude grunt from one officer who then pointed me toward the “Records” window, I believe it was. The woman there told me that they’re refusing to process any non-resident permits…just residents only…and this was after I told her we owned a second home in Portsmouth. Plus, she said that they’re re-vamping their process, charging $200, and officers are now going door-to-door conducting background checks on applicants. WTF?

First of all, I wonder if I might actually qualify as a Portsmouth resident? One of the requirements is “having a bona fide residence…within such city or town”. Would the fact that we own a home there, pay some hefty RE taxes there and spend a decent amount of time there, qualify our RI house as a bona fide residence? Or does it need to be our “primary residence” in order to qualify as a bona fide residence?

Also, while I’m trying to sort out the whole LTC thing there, I’m assuming that I’m at least legally allowed to transport a handgun into RI, as long as it’s properly unloaded and locked up in the trunk of the car, and that I go directly to my RI home without stopping along the way. And I’m also assuming that I can keep a handgun on my RI property while I’m there without it being my primary residence?

So, after my long-winded background story, here’s what I’m asking:

1) Does our second home in Portsmouth qualify as a bona fide residence, and therefore, can I apply for an in-state LTC?
2) Without a LTC in RI, can I legally transport a handgun from my home in MA, to my home in RI?
3) Can I legally keep a handgun at my RI premises, without it being my primary residence, and without a LTC?
4) And lastly, what does my RI blue card do for me, if my primary residence is in MA?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice on any or all of the above.

Frank

The $200 fee is ultra vires; the extra requirements BS; and they must take and process your application. If you can afford it, you can appeal the denial and likely win.

Thanks for the response, Rob. After reading through the application, I agree that I'll at least try submitting it. I'm surprised that they don't ask for notarized letters of reference like I've seen on the AG's form, but then again, that may be explained by the woman's statement that they do the reference/background checks in person. But considering none of my references are local, I'm not sure how they'll manage that.

Frank

Oh, and regarding the possibility of a denial, I'd really like to avoid that. As you know, whenever you apply for a permit in pretty much any state, they ask if you've ever been denied elsewhere. I'd like to avoid having to respond in the affirmative to that question, if at all possible.

Frank

If you have a MA Unrestricted then apply in East Greenwich for a non-res RI LTC, the operate pretty much as shall issue if you have an out of state LTC. It’s that simple. Worry about RI res in a few years if/when you establish permanent residency there. Don’t overthink it.

If you have a MA Unrestricted then apply in East Greenwich for a non-res RI LTC, the operate pretty much as shall issue if you have an out of state LTC. It’s that simple. Worry about RI res in a few years if/when you establish permanent residency there. Don’t overthink it.

I like your thinking! That's what I was hoping/planning on doing in Portsmouth to begin with, up until I was met with a dose of reality. I'll check out EG and may very well end up going that route.

Frank

I like your thinking! That's what I was hoping/planning on doing in Portsmouth to begin with, up until I was met with a dose of reality. I'll check out EG and may very well end up going that route.

Frank

I can get you a copy of the application & the contact person during the week.

I didn't have any problems in Westerly, but I also have a residence there so I'm in the same situation as yourself. The only thing the out of state RI LTC lets me do is to cross the imaginary line in the sand (state line) without getting arrested. I've never tried to buy ammo in RI. Now I'm curious if it would work or not.

I didn't have any problems in Westerly, but I also have a residence there so I'm in the same situation as yourself. The only thing the out of state RI LTC lets me do is to cross the imaginary line in the sand (state line) without getting arrested. I've never tried to buy ammo in RI. Now I'm curious if it would work or not.
Ammo purchase and possession is unregulated in RI, only federal laws apply (age restrictions).

Thanks for your response. That's a good question regarding buying ammo in RI. When I got my blue card I was told that in order to purchase anything, I'd need to also show some sort of RI ID, whether it be a driver's license or state issued ID card. Does your RI LTC show your RI address or your MA address? If it shows your RI address, I would bet that you'll have no problem purchasing anything in RI, but if not, I honestly don't know what would happen.

Edit: n1bsbri responded while I was busy typing, so there's your answer with regard to ammo purchases.

Frank

Did you see this thread by any chance? worth a read.

Harry

Actually, yes I did read that thread a few days ago, but thanks for the link and reminder. I remember reading about Holly, but was thinking she was in Woonsocket, rather than EG, because of the thread title. So I assume that she's still the contact at EG? Hopefully, EG hasn't gotten deluged with non-res applications in recent months and is now turning them away. Again, I originally figured I'd apply in Portsmouth because that's where we own a home, assuming that would be the path of least resistance, but I was obviously wrong in that assumption.

Frank

just called, and EG is booked into January, she said sorry, call back in November and they will start handing out appointment dates again...

just called, and EG is booked into January, she said sorry, call back in November and they will start handing out appointment dates again...

Hah! I just got an email from Holly, in EG this morning saying the exact same thing! Well, I guess I'll be trying somewhere else!

Frank

i just called Burriville, and the dispatcher says just stop in, pick up an application, and then submit it. then LT Eddy will contact you with an appointment date. i figured since they are a 2a sanctuary city, they would be a "shall" issue, but who knows...

Hah! I just got an email from Holly, in EG this morning saying the exact same thing! Well, I guess I'll be trying somewhere else!

Frank

Same here. She did send me the application and checklist, though. I figure i'll just wait and do it through them. It will give me time to get my FFL-03 and live fire done. Their application is very basic compared to a few others I have seen coming out of RI.

Back
Top Bottom