• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help with petition against RI gun bills

We could use some help with the petition, please sign it or pass it along. I am not to excited about the site, it asked me to fill out some crappy surveys after, so be sure to skip those. The numbers so far are weak. We appreciate any help that you guys can give!

Petitioning The Governor of RI
This petition will be delivered to:

The Governor of RI
The RI State Senate
The RI State House
Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rhode Island General Assembly
Representative Fox
Presindent of the Senate, Rhode Island General Assembly
Senator Paiva Weed
Rhode Island General Assembly: Stop H 5990 & S 0859, H 5993 & S 0865, H 5995 & S 0862, H 5996 & S 0861

http://www.change.org/petitions/rho...&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=share_petition

Last edited:
Signed.

I've written a letter to every rep and senator in the state. So far i have received about 15 replies (100+ emails sent). A few replies were neutral, with reps waiting to see how things play out, and about 8 of them were very much against anything besides increased penalties for criminals.

It's too soon to know how anything will play out. Unfortunately we're not likely to receive more than 48 hours notice for public hearings on the issue, but i'm fully prepared to call out of work to testify at the last minute if need be.

Signed.

I've written a letter to every rep and senator in the state. So far i have received about 15 replies (100+ emails sent). A few replies were neutral, with reps waiting to see how things play out, and about 8 of them were very much against anything besides increased penalties for criminals.

It's too soon to know how anything will play out. Unfortunately we're not likely to receive more than 48 hours notice for public hearings on the issue, but i'm fully prepared to call out of work to testify at the last minute if need be.
The problem with the "increased penalties for criminals" bills is that it can have unintended consequences. For example, there will be a three year minimum MANDATORY sentence if you are caught with a stolen firearm. The problem with this is that you can legally buy a used firearm through a friend, or online, or somewhere else. There is no checks done on the firearm whether it is stolen or not since the NICS check only checks the buyer and not the firearm. So even if you did everything required by law to purchase a firearm, you might still end up with a stolen firearm. If you are stopped by police for whatever reason and the serial number is cross references the serial number and finds that it has been stolen you are pretty much screwed since it is a mandatory sentence. It doesn't matter if the firearm was reported stolen after you bought the firearm. So even if you committed no other crime with the firearm, you will get a 3 year mandatory sentence.
I know a FFL that has turned down many used sales to him because the seller seems a little suspect and he can't verify whether it is stolen or not. He has asked the ATF why he cannot get access to the gun files of stolen firearms to verify this information, but they only want LEO to have access to this. I find it a little strange that they give you access to a person's criminal history when they run the check, but can't tell you whether a firearm is stolen or not..

PS the rumor is that hearing will be next week over two days. It will most likely be two long days, so bring some snacks.

...and there is no grandfathering of the Modern semi-automatic sporting firearms and high capacity magazines. This was supposedly an error, yeah, right...
Legislative language that would allow Rhode Islanders who own guns defined as assault weapons to keep them after the July 1 effective date is missing from the relevant bill. He says the relevant language was included in a companion bill on ammunition, but inadvertently left out of the assault weapon bill. "It was just a drafting error," Berman says. "We will fix it."
Source

Back
Top Bottom