Help with ID S&W Revolver

Free standing ejector rod is pre 1902 on an M&P .38.

It looks like Model 1899 Hand Ejector (later known as Military & Police). Note five screw, no ejector rod latch, and round butt.

As noted above, if it is a Smith & Wesson, the lack of a lock at the end of the ejector rod, puts it somewhere around 1900.

I say "if it is a Smith & Wesson," because in that era, there were quite a number of cheaper imitation guns in circulation. Most of them were Spanish made, and many of those had markings that identified them, and were not really intended to deceive. They were intended for someone who wanted a S&W and could not afford one. However, some of the S&W copies did have fake S&W markings, and were intentionally deceptive counterfeits.

Please send some actual photos if you want more info about the revolver. The photos need to be good enough to easily read all of the markings, and also to see the finish. Some fakes use the wrong font in the markings, so the photos need to be good.

Also, please keep in mind that old does not necessarily mean value. Many 100 year old nickel guns have been poorly refinished, and that greatly affects the value. On the other hand, original nickel in well worn condition could be desirable.

BLOWN UP PICS IMG_3769 (1).jpg

IMG_3747.jpgIMG_3750.jpgIMG_3751.jpgIMG_3760.jpgIMG_3759.jpgIMG_3749.jpgIMG_3756.jpgIMG_3767.jpgIMG_3768.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3760.jpg
    IMG_3760.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3759.jpg
    IMG_3759.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3747.jpg
    IMG_3747.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3748.jpg
    IMG_3748.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3749.jpg
    IMG_3749.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_3750.jpg
    IMG_3750.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3751.jpg
    IMG_3751.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3755.jpg
    IMG_3755.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3756.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 7
Nice new pics, OP. That piece is gorgeous.

Definitely an M&P hand ejector from the start of the twentieth century. I'd guess .32 or .38S&W.

.38 Military & Police 1st Model (Model of 1899 Army Navy Revolver).

This has moved into something to post on the Smith&Wesson forum.

www.smith-wessonforum.com

Have we confirmed the caliber?
No caliber yet... :( ... which is unfortunate because many different Hand Ejector models all started at serial number 1. It wasn't like it is today where every serial number from a manufacturer is essentially unique.

No caliber yet... :( ... which is unfortunate because many different Hand Ejector models all started at serial number 1. It wasn't like it is today where every serial number from a manufacturer is essentially unique.

I know. I am going on my "opinion" that the cylinder looks like a .38 caliber to my old, out of calibration eyeballs.

But I think we are in the neighborhood.

I know. I am going on my "opinion" that the cylinder looks like a .38 caliber to my old, out of calibration eyeballs.

But I think we are in the neighborhood.
It does, but it sure would be better if the owner would measure it. Even a relatively rough measure would do it.

Remember that if the owner wants to record the transfer, he needs to enter a caliber (among other info).

It does, but it sure would be better if the owner would measure it. Even a relatively rough measure would do it.

Remember that if the owner wants to record the transfer, he needs to enter a caliber (among other info).
I know, right? And he doesn't have at least one of .32 or .38 to check? And I know it isn't quite that simple, what with (for
.32 alone) there is .32 S&W, .32 long, .32 Magnum, that fourth common revolver one,
.32 acp, .32-20 and lord knows what else. I personally have five (I think) .32's, at least one of which is .32 S&W only, one is a long, one is unclear, one is a dangerous derringer I have never fired but I believe is ACP, and the fifth is a Seecamp that is ACP, but very particular. Before I could get proper ammo for it I had to use a bench grinder to shave ammo down.

But I do love me a .32 old school revolver.

I know, right? And he doesn't have at least one of .32 or .38 to check? And I know it isn't quite that simple, what with (for
.32 alone) there is .32 S&W, .32 long, .32 Magnum, that fourth common revolver one,
.32 acp, .32-20 and lord knows what else. I personally have five (I think) .32's, at least one of which is .32 S&W only, one is a long, one is unclear, one is a dangerous derringer I have never fired but I believe is ACP, and the fifth is a Seecamp that is ACP, but very particular. Before I could get proper ammo for it I had to use a bench grinder to shave ammo down.

But I do love me a .32 old school revolver.
I do too. [thumbsup] My friend and former coworker (now R.I.P.) started me on the road to .32 happiness with his recommendation of a Ruger SP101 in .327 Federal Magnum... but the real joy is in the older Smith & Wessons, which are truly works of the gunmaker's art. [cheers]

Last edited:
Anyone know how big OP's hands are?

Are we sure it's not a .44 or .45?

The ejector rod hanging out there is what's messing me up.
The cylinder doesn't look "chunky" enough in profile for it to be a .44 or .45 Hand Ejector.

The unsupported ejector rod is typical of the early Hand Ejectors.

Well, the brain trust over at the Smith&Wesson Forum concur with my identification of this revolver as a .38 Military & Police 1st Model (Model of 1899 Army Navy Revolver). Probly late 1899 to early 1900 I estimate.

They also state that it has been refinished at Smith & Wesson in 1975 as evidenced by the star on the back of the cylinder and the "9 75" on the grip. Lee also stated that the four lines of markings on the right side were added at thaat time. Here is the thread:

Lee also stated that the four lines of markings on the right side were added at that time.
Ha! That was a problem I couldn't resolve myself without one of two possibilities:

1) Either it was added when refinished, or,
2) It was a later model revolver modified and dressed up to look like an original turn of the century Hand Ejector.

But the owner said it was not a refinished gun soooooo... o_O

In retrospect, the Bangor Punta era box was a clue after all: It was the box in which S&W returned the refinished gun in 1975. [laugh]

Last edited:
Props to FPrice! Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciate it. I admit I don’t have the experience with these older guns or finishes. It floors me to know this was made back in 1899! So cool! Not sure what it’s worth but to me it’s priceless since my dad left it to me and I will do the same with my son. Thanks again for the efforts. Much appreciated

Props to FPrice! Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciate it. I admit I don’t have the experience with these older guns or finishes. It floors me to know this was made back in 1899! So cool! Not sure what it’s worth but to me it’s priceless since my dad left it to me and I will do the same with my son. Thanks again for the efforts. Much appreciated
Thank you for posting the second set of high quality photos, and congratulations on having such a nice revolver.

If one of your posts, you stated that the gun was beautiful. But the pictures were terrible, and I doubted that the finish was so good. The second set of photos showed that you were entirely right.

I do not know what it is worth, but I expect it does have some value. It is a pretty nice example considering its age. And while an original finish is the most desirable, a refinish done at the S&W factory is far better than any other refinish. It is unfortunate that the factory added some modern stampings during the refinish, but even so, it appears all the work was done by S&W, and that is better than a gun that was messed with by anyone else.

Back
Top Bottom