• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help with ID S&W Revolver

Looking for help on ID of this S&W Revolver. No matter which numbers I put out there on the internet, I cannot find a definetive answer on what model it is. I inherited it from my Dad and trying to make the transfer online but want to be sure I am putting in the right info. Pics show as much as I could find.

On the bottom and on the cylinder it says 319Y or 3197. In the Yoke there are two sets of numbers which look to read 4286. I even took the grip off and it shows an "RN" stamp and then the numbers 75 and 9 (Maybe a date code?) When I punch in 3197 it says there as an experimental single action nickle plated gun that S&W made but this cannot be it since this is double action. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3747.jpg
    IMG_3747.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_3748.jpg
    IMG_3748.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3749.jpg
    IMG_3749.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3750.jpg
    IMG_3750.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3751.jpg
    IMG_3751.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3755.jpg
    IMG_3755.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3756.jpg
    IMG_3756.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3759.jpg
    IMG_3759.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3760.jpg
    IMG_3760.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 159
The resolution of those pix is terrible, but it looks to me like a an early (2nd Version?) .32 Hand Ejector (or .32 Regulation Police) that may have been refinished. Can you confirm the caliber? That very low serial number and those old style grips, if original, sort of confirm that. That grip style goes as far back as the break-tops, so not a modern gun unless those grips are reproductions.

Last edited:
If definitely looks like a model #10
Also it almost looks like somebody, had it nickel plated post production.
Nickel sure is beautiful, when its polished and taken care of properly.

There is no caliber marked anywhere on the barrel or around it. This gun was never used and stored in the original box for many years. It comes with a paper wrap that says to make sure the opposite side of the paper is wrapped in contact with the firearm. Its a mystery to me. There is one screw that holds the side plate on it. No way it was nickeled after production or redone. It is beautiful.

There is no caliber marked anywhere on the barrel or around it. This gun was never used and stored in the original box for many years. It comes with a paper wrap that says to make sure the opposite side of the paper is wrapped in contact with the firearm. Its a mystery to me. There is one screw that holds the side plate on it. No way it was nickeled after production or redone. It is beautiful.
In that case, you may have something very unique and special there. [thumbsup]

You need better pictures if you want definitive answers. All we are doing is guessing. I believe calibers needed to be put on guns in 1968. So, at least before 1968.

Wait... is the box gone? If not, what does the box say?

Probably an AK-47?

guide_to_firearms_tfb-tfb5.jpg

I truly wish they’d go back to this aesthetic for revolvers. The thin barrel and half dime sight along with that style butt. It just looks better and easier to carry than a lot of the crap that’s out now.

Could be a Smith Wesson Navy Victory Revolver 38

Added, the barrel, if a Model 10 looks like a bull barrel but the sight would be wrong

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom