• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

help with christmas shopping

I need some help because i'm torn. For christmas we make lists for the adults, and then draw one name. I pulled my Brother In Law and he seems to want a lot of survival based stuff. He has this bear grylls survival kiton his list

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-31-000700-Grylls-Survival-Series/dp/B004DSYZRY/ref=wl_it_dp_v_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3TI7CIHPC6TVZ&coliid=I2H1RP78A6811V

the reason i'm torn is because the only thing i see of value there is the pocket guide, and maybe the bag.

So, should i ignore his wishes for this 'kit' and make one myself, or give him what he requested. I know if i asked for something specific and someone bought kind of what i wanted, that i'd be a little pissed. So what's a good brother in law to do?

If you all say forget the kit and make your own, do you have any decent suggestions for the pocket guide? I already put a real firesteel in my cart. I was thinking getting him a gerber LMF instead of that knife too.

Well, if the kit he picked is a pile of crap, and you can put together something really good, and he would know the difference, then do it. If he wouldn't know or care, buy him what he asked for.

In my case, every year my mother asks me what I want. I tell her exactly, down to item SKU and link to cheapest place available. Every year, she buys me some half-assed rip-off that cost her $5 less. This is how you suck.

Now, if you built him a kit with a bag, a guide, a nice knife, and all the other basic goodies, and maybe a food kit (LDS starter?) that would be pretty cool.

Thoughtfulness and planning are how you knock it out of the park.

Meh. For $16 you get what you pay for I guess: a cheap Chinese knife and a crappy firestick in a bag with some matches.

Meh. For $16 you get what you pay for I guess: a cheap Chinese knife and a crappy firestick in a bag with some matches.

that's kind of what i was thinking. i'd think for say $30 i could make a better kit, that actually had a container for the matches...

- - - Updated - - -

Ask his sister if he wants exactly what he asks for, if so get him the kit and then show him how to make it better.

not a bad idea. he's actually my sister in laws (my wife's sister) husband, so they're both in laws i guess. it's too tedious to call him my brother in law in law.

if you can get reviews of the kit vs what you buy him or are able to explain to him the differences and how your stuff is better I would do it. He may also be trying to be considerate by asking you for something that he knows won't break the bank.

Since the gift isn't going to be a surprise, why don't you just email him and say:

"Hey BIL, I drew your name this year, which is great, because instead of shopping for one of the girls' smelly soaps/jewelry/insert whatever thing you've not enjoyed buying in the past, I get to look at knives & camping gear. So thanks for making shopping not suck. I was looking at the kit on your list, and I think I could put together a custom kit within my budget that would cover the same needs but with gear I think you will like better as a little extra money gets you much higher quality gear. Are you cool with that or do you have your heart set on the Bear Grylls thing?"

Well, if the kit he picked is a pile of crap, and you can put together something really good, and he would know the difference, then do it. If he wouldn't know or care, buy him what he asked for. ... Now, if you built him a kit with a bag, a guide, a nice knife, and all the other basic goodies, and maybe a food kit (LDS starter?) that would be pretty cool.

Thoughtfulness and planning are how you knock it out of the park.

Since the gift isn't going to be a surprise, why don't you just email him and say:

"Hey BIL, I drew your name this year, which is great, because instead of shopping for one of the girls' smelly soaps/jewelry/insert whatever thing you've not enjoyed buying in the past, I get to look at knives & camping gear. So thanks for making shopping not suck. I was looking at the kit on your list, and I think I could put together a custom kit within my budget that would cover the same needs but with gear I think you will like better as a little extra money gets you much higher quality gear. Are you cool with that or do you have your heart set on the Bear Grylls thing?"

This, this, and this.

I don't know, but isn't a part of Christmas in the fun and the surprise of it? It is always fun getting something you were not about to just go buy for yourself anyhow. In addition to what was said here, get him a good book to go with his kit. Write him a letter, asking him if he wants to join you in planning and shopping in the future. And the topper, make sure to invite him to the range! Print up a "coupon" or "ticket" on the computer giving him a day at the range with you. Heck, if the budget is big enough, I think I saw Mossberg .22's at Walmart in NH for around $105.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to make up a kit myself. We're supposed to be staying at a $50 limit. Luckily his birthday is the 3rd, and that has no limit :D. Unfortunately my funds are limited, so I'd like to spend around $100 on this, $60 of which will probably go to a knife.

I'm new to the whole prepping/survival planning myself, so I'll need some assistance myself on suggestions.

I spent about an hour last night looking at stuff and adding things to my Amazon cart. I can't access NES while at work, so I'll post some of the stuff I found up when I get home.

We're pretty close, so I have no issue along him if he wants to go to the range and he just got the study guide for his RI blue card. So I like the idea of a 'range trip coupon'.

Nicole, you have great insight to the male psyche. Psychology major?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Here are ready made kits that are very good.
http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/products.php?catname=SURVIVAL&cat=27
Get a decent folder, and a good survival book and he will be miles ahead. I am willing to bet you can find a nice folder for less than $60.
I highly recommend this book
http://www.amazon.com/98-6-Degrees-Keeping-Your-Alive/dp/1586852345
You may think the guy is a cook from the show but he knows this stuff and he puts it in easy to read

Boghog1,

thank you for the suggestions. I think i'm going to pick up a kit from them (sold at REI) http://www.rei.com/product/708135/adventure-medical-kits-pocket-survival-pak?preferredSku=sku&cm_mmc=vl_amk-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7081350014&mr:referralID=5dd4f956-342b-11e2-97b3-001b2166becc

I'm also going to pick a few small extras like a waterproof matcholder so we can make some emergency tinder from cotton balls and vaseline. I've added the book to my list, and he can read it when i'm done with it :)

It's a gift. You're giving it so you choose it. If the kit sucks don't buy it. Either make a better one or get him something else.

Socks. You can't go wrong. lol sorry.

This may be better.

as sad as it is, I actauly look forward to the socks I get from the inlaws every year. Thermal socks and I get to trash the most ripped up ones I have at the time...

other then that, +1 to the people saying ask the sis in law if he wants that kit or was just useing it as an example

This

+1

I am thinking of putting kits together for my wife and mother to put in their trucks. Looking at these kits I think I can do far better and I have no clue what to put in them.

this is what i ended up going with:

Gerber LMF: Link

blastmatch: Link

P-51: Link

P-38: Link

zipper compass: Link

pocket kit: Link

swedish firesteel: Link

emergency blanket: Link

waterproof match container: Link

I now realized i gave him methods to start a fire. I meant to take off the firesteel when i added the blast match. Oh well. I also picke up the 98.6 degrees book that i'll read myself and then give to him.

thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Last edited:
Nice kit.

Add in a snack size ziplock bag with some dryer lint and Vaseline in it for use as fire-starting tinder. Easy to make, and allows lots of practice. My personal preference is the spark device that comes in the kit. The Blast match makes great sparks, but you need something to push against and it is a lot larger and heavier. The spark device in the kit is smaller, lighter, and can be used one handed. Still, having the option is great, and the Blast Match is very easy to use if the person does not practice.

Only other thing I would have avoided is the serrated blade on the knife. It's harder to sharpen, but that's more a personal preference. Good choice with the fixed blade. Folders are good for backups, but a top quality fixed blade is the best.

One thing I added to the Adventure Medical Survival kit was 6 Katadyn micropur MP 1 water purification tablets. Link

Cool gift!

One thing I added to the Adventure Medical Survival kit was 6 Katadyn micropur MP 1 water purification tablets. Link

Cool gift!

awesome! i was looking for some of those, but could only find them in packs of 100.

I figure this will be a decent base, and he can build off of it. I couldn't get him everything i wanted because I did have a budget. Hell, now i have to work on building myself a kit!

awesome! i was looking for some of those, but could only find them in packs of 100.

I figure this will be a decent base, and he can build off of it. I couldn't get him everything i wanted because I did have a budget. Hell, now i have to work on building myself a kit!

I was actually at REI today and picked up a pack of 30 pills that i'll split between me and him :)

If he thinks that Bear Grills is good stuff, I would take the time now to show him that there is a lot of higher quality stuff out there. When I was younger I got a lot of cheap stuff because I didn't know any better.

That's the plan. I think he just threw his list together and pit a bunch of stuff on there without giving it to much thought. I'm sure he we getting pestered to have it done by thanksgiving.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Every review I've seen of the Bear stuff says it's junk. BTW read the reviews on Amazon - some of them are hilarious!

Making him one yourself is in the spirit of the season and will be better.

Back
Top Bottom