• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help with AR15 Magazine Forensics

neum69

NES Member
Looking for some help interpreting marks on what were advertised as new old stock, never used pre-ban magazines.

In the below photo, are these vertical lines witness marks from use in a rifle? If so, any sense how many times it may have been used (judging by how pronounced the marks are)? Note, I also see indentations on the follower spring where it would hit the ribs of the magazine body. Presumably these indentations would not develop through storage, but would only develop through repeated use as the spring compresses and decompresses (rubbing on the ribs). Can't get a good picture of that though; it's subtle.
magazine witness marks.jpg

In the below photo, what is the white stuff? Is it dirt/sand from use, or something else (e.g. mold release agent from manufacture)? I realize it's hard to tell without holding it in your hand, but wondering if, when you've bought new old stock, whether you've ever seen similar junk caked on the follower or not. BTW, the junk looks white here but it's actually tan.

magazine dirt.jpg

Do the above equal evidence of "not new?" From these views, does anything else look "not new?" Any other tried and true tests for being used that you can recommend?

Last edited:
Yeah - Since you're in Massachusetts, I wouldn't worry as much about whether or not it was "actually used" as I would be whether or not it is "actually pre-ban."

What is the manufacturer?

Where can you get pre bans (with a date stamp) for $12?

There were 5 mags in this lot at a price of $21 per mag. All Okay Industries. One with a year date stamp plus the K#/O# month code stamps on the inside as expected, three with just the K#/O# stamps (no year) on the inside and one with no markings on the mag body at all.

To add, I assume all are actually pre-ban based on the info above, but am not willing to risk the pain on the four mags not stamped with a year. While the law "can't prove it wasn't pre-ban" they could sure tie up my money and time during the process if they so chose to. Better safe than sorry.

Would really like an answer to my original question though, mostly because I'd like to get a bead on the honesty of the seller.

Last edited:
My OKAY mags have been flawless. I got them from a Marine who told me that they were from the armory and were used in training. The mags definitely have some age and a shitload of use, but I can't find a date stamp external or internal. Maybe I didn't look closely enough!

I have seen new, still in the wrapper preban mags with the same markings as the ones in the first pic, though those in the pic have more marks. I think they are tested for magwell fit before they are packaged/sold. Also depending on how they are packaged they may rub against each other in transit and have some wear. To see if yours have been fired, push the follower down and wipe the inside and underneath the lips with a q tip. Also, when you push the follower down you may be able to see marks on the front of the inside of the magazine that will be indicative of bullets being loaded in the mag.

Dave

more or less if it aint sealed in a wrapper consider it used....do they work. 20 ish bucks seems to be the going rate (honest rate) for pre ban ar mags. Search deep you may find them for 12.00 ea , maybe.

To add, I assume all are actually pre-ban based on the info above, but am not willing to risk the pain on the four mags not stamped with a year. While the law "can't prove it wasn't pre-ban" they could sure tie up my money and time during the process if they so chose to. Better safe than sorry.

Would really like an answer to my original question though, mostly because I'd like to get a bead on the honesty of the seller.

Please send me the info on the 4 mags that don't have a year stamp. I want to buy them. Its not up to you to prove they are pre-ban. Its up to them to prove they aren't.

Back
Top Bottom