Help with an CAR 15 build

Most authentic CAR15 stock

• A1/A2 Fixed

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Mil Spec Collapsable

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
It’s solid but requires you to mill into the lower to make it compatible. I have an original and they’re fantastic. The repro doesn’t require you to mill the lower.

We’re talking about a 607 versus XM177E2 which is just an evolution.

If this is your first retro rifle honesty just go with the XM177E2, E1 or GAU-5 depending which one tickles you the most. Not saying don’t build a 607 but it is 100% the most expensive to make.
E2 11.5” (functionally the best model hence it’s longevity and parts life) Forward assist on most.
E1 10.5”
GAU-5 10.5”
607 10.5”
GAU and E1 are often the same rifle. Biggest difference being that the E1 can “technically” have a forward assist though 99% didn’t.

If you’re in need as well I have stocks of a good portion of parts for a lot of these. Or access to a great many.

View: https://youtu.be/I38pIAEL0i0

Would you do a slick side or the M16A1?

Would you do a slick side or the M16A1?
That’s the nice thing about these style of guns. The only one that “should” only be a slab side is a GAU-5 which is an original XM177.
The E1 or E2 (though most E2 style will have a forward assist) weren’t set in stone, so it’s a) whatever you want or b) whatever you have access to. Just make sure you get the tear drop forward assist if you go that route! 😘

That’s the nice thing about these style of guns. The only one that “should” only be a slab side is a GAU-5 which is an original XM177.
The E1 or E2 (though most E2 style will have a forward assist) weren’t set in stone, so it’s a) whatever you want or b) whatever you have access to. Just make sure you get the tear drop forward assist if you go that route! 😘
I've decided on the GAU-5 so I will go slick side, I'm going to use an 11.5 inch barrel, I believe it's still true to the original design.

Thank you for the help!

Get out of my head!
6f15f142-2881-40e9-90eb-2c9e7b96df08_text.gif

Wouldn't both be correct depending on which time period you're trying to clone?
I am no historian, but I always thought the CAR was the father of the M4. So the collapsible stock. Short barrels are just short barrels.

I'm in the 'build what makes you happy' crowd. Flat tops are cool, throw a red dot on it, but you still have to have irons as a backup. Cool things fail, old school will always work unless you drive over your gun with your truck.

I'll let you gun nerds get back to nerding out.

Looks like the Colt Commando CAR-15 line had no hard and fast standard since they were farting around with trying to figure out how to do it.

OP posted one of the pics from here already, but the 607, 609, 610, etc all have differences. I'd say pick one, see if you can find the parts for that one, and if so go from there. If not pick another one.

Colt was selling the retro line for full blown rape prices and Colt being Colt they made like 8 of them and sold out instantly since their main business goal is going out of business.

XM177E2 Colt's Manufacturing LLC

The upper for that can be bought here Colt XM177E2 / GAU-5A/A / CAR-15 / model 629, 630 Commando / US Air Force (1967-1970)

The Colt classic rifle itself can still be found on gunbroker Colt XM177E2 AR-15 Retro Reissue Carbine 5.56 NATO AR15 16” 20+1... - Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com : 906813504
Right , I always thought it was Colt Automatic Rifle 15 then the variants
CAR15- M16 , M16a1, Heavy assault rifle M1 , belt fed version M2, carbine, sub machine gun model 607 IIRC, colt commando M177,

Back
Top Bottom