Help with 7.62x39 purchase

Not a bad list at all.

I might move the Ruger a tad lower. I'd put the Sino-Soviet SKS at 2 or 3.

I'm not sure the OP is in "save for AKM" mode, though he'll no doubt be here to answer. I think he's probably already got an AK? Definitely should be on the lookout for a Vz58, though, but then I'd say that to every member of this site.
I had a Mak 90 that I foolishly let go when I lived in NH.

Stooped question- is VZ58 DPRMA compliant, or at least as a pre-ban?

It's as compliant as you wish to make it.

In other words, it suits the letter of the law without a bayonet lug and without a folding stock. But the folding stocks are easy to swap. So. All the metal mags out there (and there are a lot of them, nicely priced, in LNIB condition) are preban.

I'm sure Maura thinks it's not compliant. But she can go screw.

That can get complicated because there are original 58s (converted to semi) that pre date any bans originally manufactured in Czech, then there are the kits with US receivers, some of these are pre ban and some aren't. Century Arms did kits with their own receiver, the VZ2008 (I'm sure you can figure out when that was done). You can still find the kits. But why bother when you can get new from Czechpoint which "remanufactures" them in the US, as close to new as you can get. Certainly they can be made MA compliant, but Czechpoint might has a MA compliant manufactured version, which even Maura could object to.

yup MA compliant vz58 VZ. 58 Rifle Liberty 7.62X39 - AtlanticFirearms.com

It's as compliant as you wish to make it.

In other words, it suits the letter of the law without a bayonet lug and without a folding stock. But the folding stocks are easy to swap. So. All the metal mags out there (and there are a lot of them, nicely priced, in LNIB condition) are preban.

I'm sure Maura thinks it's not compliant. But she can go screw.
First off, beechwood, beaver barf, or go home.

Second, the metal VZ58 mags may be drying up. Czech Point is apparently sending out plastic mags with their rifes now.

100E44CE-785B-439B-A5F1-C7A6BB927207.jpeg

Last edited:
This.
You can build an AR39 for real short money. I got the bear creek arsenal complete upper for like $250. Slap it on a poverty pony lower
But, does it work? I heard the issue with the AR's in x39 was the long magwell, that doesn't let a curved magazine (that's needed for 7.62x39) work well.
Id put the Galil x39 on the top of that list.
Plastic lower, though, right? :(
Are those really your only two options? There are an awful lot of good AKs on the market and even good AR platforms like the KS47 that’ll run that cartridge.
KS47 is just an american-built (PSA) AK, right?

But, does it work? I heard the issue with the AR's in x39 was the long magwell, that doesn't let a curved magazine (that's needed for 7.62x39) work well.

The problems with 30rd mags. You can get 28rd, 20rd, 10rd that all work well. 10rd will have no problem in MA

Mine has been damn near flawless. I think I’ve had a couple FTEs which I think was an extractor issue. I’ve got several thousand rounds through mine. Broke 2 extractors but that’s it.
And it’s a bear creek arsenal too lol. $250 for the entire upper including BCG. Surprised how well it’s held up.
10 rounders work extremely well. C Products duramags are the way to go

I think the KS47 is the 7.62x39 on the AR platform. I could be wrong. But yes, PSA has great AKs and great ARs that take AK magazines in 7.62x39.

Mine has been damn near flawless. I think I’ve had a couple FTEs which I think was an extractor issue. I’ve got several thousand rounds through mine. Broke 2 extractors but that’s it.
And it’s a bear creek arsenal too lol. $250 for the entire upper including BCG. Surprised how well it’s held up.
So far ASC have been great for me.

I own more ARs than AKs, but there really is nothing better than an AK/AKM (variety can be debated) for x39. Not fancy, just reliable as f***.
I don’t know AKs to be more reliable that ARs. And in some conditions, I think the AR platform is actually more reliable. But the AKs are just plain more fun to shoot for me.

First off, beechwood, beaver barf, or go home.

Second, the metal VZ58 mags may be drying up. Czech Point is apparently sending out plastic mags with their rifes now.

View attachment 732959

I own beaver barf, beech (with putative trench art), and black plastic. I put different things on there depending on my mood.

I got a C&R license just to get access to SKSs delivered to the house. And the two SKS rifles I own haven't disappointed at all. There is something magical about the 7.62x39 round stacked-one-by-one in a stripper clip and effortlessly (well, almost, and after lots of practice) getting seated into the magazine. The two I own, which are on opposite ends of the quality spectrum (one is straight up a sight for blind eyes, not cared for during service, and came caked in cosmoline that actually made it look better, and the other appears to be minimally fired and the wood stock still lusters beautifully) both have the same performance in the 75-100 yard range (never tested beyond this) and both are Norinco - the "cheap" SKS options right now.

It's my favorite rifle to shoot by far, and has no problem w/ steel or brass. Ammo makes a huge difference in reliability and grouping.

With that said, the price on them has jumped drastically in the past year (Chinese models). A "good condition" Russian or Yugoslavian is going to be 1.5-2x + the cost of a "good condition" Chinese model. There was a time the Yugo/Romanian models were cheaper than the Chinese models, but there seems to be a trend reversal for some reason. The Yugoslavian models are actually a "clone" and perhaps have developed their own collector base or simply were kept in better condition. Some say the Russian SKS is better than others, but don't know how true that is across the board. It certainly costs more and probably has a higher resale value. I paid $450 and $500 for mine.

Finally: if you go the SKS route, just make sure it's cleaned well before using. Lots of initial "problems" from the SKS come from not cleaning it properly which can cause firing pin, line, ejection issues, etc. May not be a bad idea to bring it by a gunsmith who can give it the okay before serious use. Of course, if you're familiar with the platform/mechanics, disregard.
I think if not an SKS, building an AR for 7.62x39 is probably preferrable to the Mini 30 for cost, effectiveness, and maintenance purposes.

The SKS paratrooper/carbine models look fun, take detachable mags, but I have zero experience with them.
Yugo AKMs are the way. They’re the better built AK.

Don't leave out the V58, the pre-ban imports are nice but there are also the new production US made. Fun little commie guns but also check that not-an-ak box.
The love (at least that I had) for the AK was cheap, available mags and cheap ammo. Even though ammo is up, I wouldn't want to buy V58 mags...
Since I own both, I'd say the SKS D is more economical because it takes AK mags, The VZ58 is a fun gun, but it takes VZ58 mags, much harder to get pre-ban if that matters to you.
See above.
Mmmm, that doesn't sound so good to me. One...maybe...but two...and it's not like finding an AR extractor, right?

The love (at least that I had) for the AK was cheap, available mags and cheap ammo. Even though ammo is up, I wouldn't want to buy V58 mags...

See above.

Mmmm, that doesn't sound so good to me. One...maybe...but two...and it's not like finding an AR extractor, right?
Bear creek will replace the extractor for free but I got some better tool steel extractors for spares. My current extractor has over 1k rounds on it. But breaking 2 extractors in 1500-2k rounds isn’t a big deal in my opinion. The steel cases are tough on the extractors. Just an expendable part IMO
The average gun owner who shoots a couple boxes a month wouldn’t really notice it for a bit 😂

Been discussed in this thread

Last edited:
lol, i bought a Yugo and it was so caked in cosmoline... i went to the basement with three cans of brake cleaner and asked my wife to check on me every 10min or so..... 45min and three cans later it was mostly clean..... she never did check on me..... should've been my first clue we were headed for divorce, lol

Last edited:
I love my 50's era SKS, but take a look at ammo prices. I bought a 1000 rnd case of Chinese steel core 7.62x39 in 1988 for $100, ten cents per round. Now with a war on that consumes that caliber and add in Russian export bans and it's not cheap anymore.

Last edited:
lol, i bought a Yugo and it was so caked in cosmoline... i went to the basement with three can's of brake cleaner and asked my wife to check on me every 10min or so..... 45min and three cans later it was mostly clean..... she never did check on me..... should've been my first clue we were headed for divorce, lol
Yeah I was more joking about not cleaning things. I get it

Back
Top Bottom