Help with 7.62x39 purchase

A good SKS is the clear choice of those two. Lets qualify it and say that there are some crappy beat to shit bubba'd SKS's out there, you've gotta know what your looking at if your gonna buy one as something to rely on or shoot a lot. That being said, a well worn but original and functional SKS will probably still outlast a mini 30.

The info I heard is that the Mini 30 was designed to shoot steel case, Russian ammo. Ruger made it because the ammo was cheap at one time.
The key with Mini 30s is that you need to use Ruger OEM mags. The aftermarket stuff does not work.

Second, I also heard that shooting 7.62 through an AR platform didn't work well. Not very reliable. There's a bunch of stories on the web that tell this tale. I've never tried one myself.

I'd lean toward an AK from an American manufacturer or one of the foreign companies that get good reviews on line.

$800 for an SKS is insane.

The info I heard is that the Mini 30 was designed to shoot steel case, Russian ammo. Ruger made it because the ammo was cheap at one time.
The key with Mini 30s is that you need to use Ruger OEM mags. The aftermarket stuff does not work.

Second, I also heard that shooting 7.62 through an AR platform didn't work well. Not very reliable. There's a bunch of stories on the web that tell this tale. I've never tried one myself.

I'd lean toward an AK from an American manufacturer or one of the foreign companies that get good reviews on line.

$800 for an SKS is insane.
in doubting this design focus on steel cased ammo. Even the brasd cased surplus was dirt cheap back in the 80s especially the corrosive stuff. Once that inexpensive non corrosive “hunting ammo” came around the corrosive stuff was even cheaper.
I personally had very little issues with function in my 30 or even the handful of 14s along the way. They just had issues with down range performance.

Mcx can take a 762x39 mcx or spear upper.

There was a spear take off upper on gb for $1400 with bcg. I probably should have snagged it since it goes right on a mcx lower which I already have. Grey and brown didn’t match so didn’t want to mess with a cerakote versus just spending $500 extra for a complete rifle.

Mcx can take a 762x39 mcx or spear upper.

There was a spear take off upper on gb for $1400 with bcg. I probably should have snagged it since it goes right on a mcx lower which I already have. Grey and brown didn’t match so didn’t want to mess with a cerakote versus just spending $500 extra for a complete rifle.
Imd trying so hard not to buy one. Ill probably look for a take off since I have an mcx already too

I shot a couple of Rugers years ago. Both were scoped and very inaccurate. I can't imagine an SKS could be worse. The newer Rugers have supposedly addressed the accuracy issue but I don't know.

I have both. Multiple SKS original First build by China with Russian Tech is my favorite. SKS with AK mag is sweet. Shorten "Paratrooper".

I got the Ruger Mini 30 new to tinker with because it has a known problem with the ammo and firing pin strike due to primer hardness. Re-finished the trigger inners, installed +Power trigger springs etc. It runs like a champ at this point.

Unless you want the project gun like I did, go SKS. Love both but if you go for just one. Grab a SKS. Prices at the Willmington show 1100 a pop. One dealer had one for much less. They will be at the Marlboro show.

I'm invested in the 7.62x39 scene.

Ruger Mini 30 or SKS?

Your experience is helpful.

My previous experience with Mini 30 is that I knew I was shooting a rifle but accuracy was underwhelming.

Is the SKS on par, better or worse?

steel ammo shooter
PTR 32. Uses AK mags. I'd like to offer a review of it but I've yet to get it to the range.

I'm invested in the 7.62x39 scene.

Ruger Mini 30 or SKS?

Your experience is helpful.

My previous experience with Mini 30 is that I knew I was shooting a rifle but accuracy was underwhelming.

Is the SKS on par, better or worse?

steel ammo shooter

Sks is superior in reliability and accuracy.
i have both, many SKS and MIni 30 and mini 14.
hands down are the SKS, they were cheap, probably as much as the minis now.. find a SKS-M or -D that takes AK mags, original preban.
choices for a regular capacity and therefore any capacity magazines for the Mini-30 and mini-14 suck.
to bad the prices are so high now. my first SKS was $99.
with the longer barrel the sks beats AK with a little more velocity.

beware some SKS suck and are garbage, check see if things safe, unload it, cycle it, chamber empty and wack the butt of the gun to floor, if it goes click it would have fired.

I have both. Multiple SKS original First build by China with Russian Tech is my favorite. SKS with AK mag is sweet. Shorten "Paratrooper".

I got the Ruger Mini 30 new to tinker with because it has a known problem with the ammo and firing pin strike due to primer hardness. Re-finished the trigger inners, installed +Power trigger springs etc. It runs like a champ at this point.

Unless you want the project gun like I did, go SKS. Love both but if you go for just one. Grab a SKS. Prices at the Willmington show 1100 a pop. One dealer had one for much less. They will be at the Marlboro show.
More than a grand for SKS, WOW.
How much is my Nagant worth.

i bought a few at the Wilmington show not to long ago, within 10 years, at $300. I cringed at that price, I should have bought whole lot.

Any reason you don’t want to jump a bit more for a ptr in 308 or M1a in 308?
that's a good choices 308, ie 7.62x51, i should have bought a PTR that i was offered one once, its probably tripped in price. At the time I didn't know what i was looking at.
That's where I ended, a couple of 308 M1As haven't really spent any money since on guns.

Here is my preference, in order:

1) Russian SKS
2) Romanian SKS
3) Yugoslavian SKS
4) Chinese Type 56 SKS
5) Save money for VZ-58 or AKM
6) Ruger mini-30
7) Chinese “paratrooper” SKS
8) most of the other rifles mentioned in the thread
9) a papercut in my eyeball
10) that Sig abortion that takes AK mags

Here is my preference, in order:

1) Russian SKS
2) Romanian SKS
3) Yugoslavian SKS
4) Chinese Type 56 SKS
5) Save money for VZ-58 or AKM
6) Ruger mini-30
7) Chinese “paratrooper” SKS
8) most of the other rifles mentioned in the thread
9) a papercut in my eyeball
10) that Sig abortion that takes AK mags

Not a bad list at all.

I might move the Ruger a tad lower. I'd put the Sino-Soviet SKS at 2 or 3.

I'm not sure the OP is in "save for AKM" mode, though he'll no doubt be here to answer. I think he's probably already got an AK? Definitely should be on the lookout for a Vz58, though, but then I'd say that to every member of this site.

in doubting this design focus on steel cased ammo. Even the brasd cased surplus was dirt cheap back in the 80s especially the corrosive stuff. Once that inexpensive non corrosive “hunting ammo” came around the corrosive stuff was even cheaper.
I personally had very little issues with function in my 30 or even the handful of 14s along the way. They just had issues with down range performance.
They are not tack drivers for sure.

SKS with TechSites upgrade. High quality inexpensive sight upgrade that doesn't require any gunsmithing, really tightens up your shot groups

Back
Top Bottom