Help with 7.62x39 purchase

SKS, but if your interest is accuracy, if you get a pre-ban one with a bayonet lug, make sure it has the bayonet. If post ban, no biggie.

I got a C&R license just to get access to SKSs delivered to the house. And the two SKS rifles I own haven't disappointed at all. There is something magical about the 7.62x39 round stacked-one-by-one in a stripper clip and effortlessly (well, almost, and after lots of practice) getting seated into the magazine. The two I own, which are on opposite ends of the quality spectrum (one is straight up a sight for blind eyes, not cared for during service, and came caked in cosmoline that actually made it look better, and the other appears to be minimally fired and the wood stock still lusters beautifully) both have the same performance in the 75-100 yard range (never tested beyond this) and both are Norinco - the "cheap" SKS options right now.

It's my favorite rifle to shoot by far, and has no problem w/ steel or brass. Ammo makes a huge difference in reliability and grouping.

With that said, the price on them has jumped drastically in the past year (Chinese models). A "good condition" Russian or Yugoslavian is going to be 1.5-2x + the cost of a "good condition" Chinese model. There was a time the Yugo/Romanian models were cheaper than the Chinese models, but there seems to be a trend reversal for some reason. The Yugoslavian models are actually a "clone" and perhaps have developed their own collector base or simply were kept in better condition. Some say the Russian SKS is better than others, but don't know how true that is across the board. It certainly costs more and probably has a higher resale value. I paid $450 and $500 for mine.

Finally: if you go the SKS route, just make sure it's cleaned well before using. Lots of initial "problems" from the SKS come from not cleaning it properly which can cause firing pin, line, ejection issues, etc. May not be a bad idea to bring it by a gunsmith who can give it the okay before serious use. Of course, if you're familiar with the platform/mechanics, disregard.
I think if not an SKS, building an AR for 7.62x39 is probably preferrable to the Mini 30 for cost, effectiveness, and maintenance purposes.

The SKS paratrooper/carbine models look fun, take detachable mags, but I have zero experience with them.

Finally: if you go the SKS route, just make sure it's cleaned well before using. Lots of initial "problems" from the SKS come from not cleaning it properly which can cause firing pin, line, ejection issues, etc. May not be a bad idea to bring it by a gunsmith who can give it the okay before serious use. Of course, if you're familiar with the platform/mechanics, disregard.
Clean?

I'm invested in the 7.62x39 scene.

Ruger Mini 30 or SKS?

Your experience is helpful.

My previous experience with Mini 30 is that I knew I was shooting a rifle but accuracy was underwhelming.

Is the SKS on par, better or worse?

steel ammo shooter
Have you shot either ?
Both I feel are short and im only 5-8
Not the mist comfortable gun for range shooting. Quick and handy for sure.
Also be careful with sks the safety on blocks the trigger the hammer can still fall on a worn trigger assembly.

Don't leave out the V58, the pre-ban imports are nice but there are also the new production US made. Fun little commie guns but also check that not-an-ak box.

Don't leave out the V58, the pre-ban imports are nice but there are also the new production US made. Fun little commie guns but also check that not-an-ak box.

I mean, I'm a YUUUUGE booster of the Vz58 too, but the OP's asking about A or B and people are suggesting C, D, and E. Lol.

SKS all day.
If you're gonna spend mini-30 money, look at the VZ-58.
Since I own both, I'd say the SKS D is more economical because it takes AK mags, The VZ58 is a fun gun, but it takes VZ58 mags, much harder to get pre-ban if that matters to you.

Since I own both, I'd say the SKS D is more economical because it takes AK mags, The VZ58 is a fun gun, but it takes VZ58 mags, much harder to get pre-ban if that matters to you.
Ooh, I'd love an SKS D. I stocked up on VZ58 mags when they were like 5 for $25. I thought the mags were preban, not that I care🤣

Ooh, I'd love an SKS D. I stocked up on VZ58 mags when they were like 5 for $25. I thought the mags were preban, not that I care🤣

All the metal Vz58 mags are preban, but the plastic ones might not be.

If a Vz58 costs the same as a Mini-30, and both are equally available, I'd say it would be COMPLETELY SENSELESS to choose the Mini-30 in that situation. But then again, I love the Vz58. So I'm biased.

What's price range on VZ58 these days?
1400 to 1800 new from Atlantic Firearms, these are the new Czechpoint. The Cencury Arms vz2008 runs in the same area but are made from kits with a US receiver.
Then there are the harder to find original pre-ban imports. Those will depend on where you get them. I recently got 2 from Rock Island Auctions, one a pre-ban semi-auto import, and the other a VZ2008 folder at 2K for the pair, so there are some good deals out their if you take time to look. One thing that reduced the price was that some idiot refinished the pre-ban one, looks nice but not original.

I’m slowly putting together a AR39, it will be under $900 when done. Cheap gun, cheap ammo and don’t care, as long as it goes boom. I changed out the firing pin for an “enhanced”one. It is recommended for hard primers the steel commie ammo has.

ARAK (ar in 7.62x39)

Build your own with quality parts.
Buy extra small parts like extractor and firing pin to keep them around just in case.

Other wise, Galil ace or vz58

Is there non-Russian x39 ammo out there? When relations with Russia tank even worse than they already have, and imports are banned, what are you gonna run through it?
I have some Hornady x39. Not cheap and I think they probably prioritize other stuff

Ahh you do know this is NES right? Why would the original post have anything to do with a thread [laugh] [rofl] [laugh] [smile]
I hear they make the M1A in 6.5 now...

If I were to do it again Id have gone with the sbr for the AR39, but I enjoy the 16" too.
iu

Back
Top Bottom