Help w/FFL

I want to purchase a BAN compliant ak-47 from an out of state FFL.

A MASS FFL I spoke with re doing the xfr said I need to call up manufacturer and get a letter from them stating that this is indeed a BAN compliant rifle. Is this normal or should I look for a new FFL?

For those who have done this before, any advice welcome.

Also, how much do you normally pay for an FFL xfr?

Thanks!

I had a couple transfered and I never had my guy ask if they were ban compliant. They were older rifles and he opened the package before I got there to make sure they were in good shape.
As for tranfers, expect to pay between $20-25, that seems to be average. I had one shop try and charge me $30 or 10% of the value of the firearm (his estimate) whichever was greater and then another 5% Mass sales tax! He can go pound tar.

" I had one shop try and charge me $30 or 10% of the value of the firearm (his estimate) whichever was greater and then another 5% Mass sales tax!"

Hmmmmmm. Was that in Middleboro or Northboro?

" He can go pound tar. "

Good call. I paid $25 last time; a heck of a good profit for 10 minutes work.

I plan on picking it up in person in NH to save on sales tax if that makes a diff.

One more question: Can you buy ammo in NH and bring it back to MASS? Don't want to break any laws to save a couple bucks on ammo.

senorFrog said:
I plan on picking it up in person in NH to save on sales tax if that makes a diff.

One more question: Can you buy ammo in NH and bring it back to MASS? Don't want to break any laws to save a couple bucks on ammo.

Buying ammo out of state and bringing it back yourself to MA is completely legal, assuming you have the necessary MA FID or LTC.

Republic of Mass said:
JonJ said:
Scrivener said:
Neither
BM in plymouth? Come ooonnnnn!

I know a RI dealer does that BS, but I doubt thats who you're talking about

OK OK, it was M&M's in Plymouth. It was late last winter and that's what was communicated to me via the telephone.

So what do you think is a reasonable FFL charge for:

A friend-to-friend, I-have-sold-over-four-guns this year so I gotta use an FFL transfer?

A I-want-to-buy-this-rifle-from-an-out-of-state-dealer-and-have-it-shipped-to-the-shop transfer?

?

JonJ said:
Republic of Mass said:
JonJ said:
Scrivener said:
Neither
BM in plymouth? Come ooonnnnn!

I know a RI dealer does that BS, but I doubt thats who you're talking about

OK OK, it was M&M's in Plymouth. It was late last winter and that's what was communicated to me via the telephone.

Surprising, they seemed like nice folks in there. Care to elaborate?

Oh don't get me wrong, I spend money there and am always greeted with a smile and "what can we do for you?".
There isn't anything to add. That's just what I was quoted so I found someone that was more reasonable for my transfers.

Back
Top Bottom