help to identify revolver

in florida visiting my mother for a couple days, her husband died two years ago, and she asked me to check some of his guns for function and safety.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

never seen one of these before.
smith & wesson, 38 s&w special no model marked on frame.

- - - Updated - - -

sideways pictures, stupid ipad...

- - - Updated - - -

ok, pictures look horrible posted here.
factory open front trigger guard, ans bobbed hammer.

Best I can do on short notice. Crop, then sharpen and median filters, and auto-adjust colors.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• rev1.jpg
    rev1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 304
  • rev2.jpg
    rev2.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 307
swing out the cylinder and look on the frame for a model number.
looks like a 10 or a 36
The trigger guards were cut like that by John Fitzgerald. Called a Fitz Special back in the day. Lots of people copied his customized guns.
If it's a Fitz it's worth something. If not it's probably a hard sell due to people wanting trigger guards.

Google Fitz. Great conversation piece but only purists would relish it. I had one but truly uneasy feeling as it can be as unsafe as it looks.

Keep it in the family.

ok, instead of the ipad i will take better pictures with my camera and post them when i get home. i will pull the grips and look under them as well, just in case ( even though it's unlikely ).
leaving this morning and will be back in mass thursday.
cannot find any model marking anywhere, even with the cylinder open.

how can i figure out if it really is a fitz ???

thanks for all the help so far guys.

Last edited:
how can i figure out if it really is a fitz ???

The easiest way to start is "is it a Colt", is "it from the correct era", and "does it have a proof mark on what's left of the trigger guard" - after that it'd be something to have authenticated by an expert. Fitzgerald was a Colt manager, and his pistols were factory-modified. The proof marks were on the front drivers side of the trigger guard on the models used, so when the factory cut away that part of the trigger guard, a proof mark was added to the rear passenger side of the trigger guard - the mark is a triangle with "VP" in the middle. There were only a few hundred revolvers made, and a handful of 1911s, but due to their value they're frequently faked (forged? deception to make money), and due their coolness frequently "copied" (as in, I don't want to rip you off, I just want something like that!).

What you have there is not a Fitz special, but an homage to one built off the Smith and Wesson platform. Still very cool.

Last edited:
My analysis from these latest pictures is this is (was?) a 4" barreled pre-model 10 S&W that has been heavily modified to meet someone's idea of a cool gun. Difficult to tell from the pictures but whoever did it probably had some pistol-smithing skills (I highly doubt that the S&W factory did this, but one thing you learn about S&Ws is NEVER say NEVER).

The barrel has been cut back from the position of the "Smith & Wesson" on the barrel. The bobbed hammer, probably an early attempt at de-snagging the hammer. Personally I feel that the cut-away trigger guard is an accident waiting to happen.

If you can tell us the serial number on the butt, I can help you place the manufacture date within a few years.

My analysis from these latest pictures is this is (was?) a 4" barreled pre-model 10 S&W that has been heavily modified to meet someone's idea of a cool gun. Difficult to tell from the pictures but whoever did it probably had some pistol-smithing skills (I highly doubt that the S&W factory did this, but one thing you learn about S&Ws is NEVER say NEVER).

The barrel has been cut back from the position of the "Smith & Wesson" on the barrel. The bobbed hammer, probably an early attempt at de-snagging the hammer. Personally I feel that the cut-away trigger guard is an accident waiting to happen.

If you can tell us the serial number on the butt, I can help you place the manufacture date within a few years.

the number on the frame inside when you swing out the cylinder is 70439, but the number on the butt was different. i did not e-mail that one to myself...

Whoever did this,or had it done was looking for a quick combat style type firearm.The high front sight is a good giveaway.

Back
Top Bottom