HELP Shotgun Tube Sets

Bad13Luck

NES Member
Have an chance to purchase a browning over under that comes with a set of briley tubes to change the gauge. Don't know much about tubes any help you guys can give me would be a big help.

Thanks

Badluck

What to look for? How they work? Do they do any damage to gun over time. there effect on accurency? Etc... It is a used gun so what to look for as far as the tube that it will come with. Are they worth the extra $$$ to get shotgun with them. I have all so heard that some shotgunners feel that it is "cheating" becuase your are not shooting a different gun but the same one you always shoot?

I guess just some basic stuff and some opinions on them.

Thanks

Have an chance to purchase a browning over under that comes with a set of briley tubes to change the gauge. Don't know much about tubes any help you guys can give me would be a big help.

Thanks

Badluck

The tubes do exactly what they say they do. They make a 12 guage into a .410/etc by having one end of the tube fit into the breech and the other end sticks out the muzzle bypassing the barrel. It's like having 2 guns in one.

What to look for? How they work? Do they do any damage to gun over time. there effect on accurency? Etc... It is a used gun so what to look for as far as the tube that it will come with. Are they worth the extra $$$ to get shotgun with them. I have all so heard that some shotgunners feel that it is "cheating" becuase your are not shooting a different gun but the same one you always shoot?

I guess just some basic stuff and some opinions on them.

Thanks

What: http://www.briley.com/2009/tubesetfaq.html
How: They place a barrel inside a larger barrel.
Damage: I doubt it. Briley is one of the best out there. (I have their chokes for a winchester)
Worth it: Ha, I am not going there. I don't think a lot of things that people pay good money for are worth it but yet they pay.
Cheating: Fudds like to place arbitrary limits on things and then complain people are exceeding the arbitrary limits. If someone handed you a .357 sig barrel and you swapped it with your glock 22 .40 barrel, would this be "cheating"?

What to look for?

Not sure what you mean

How they work?

They fit inside the barrel and let you shoot smaller gauges in the same gun

Do they do any damage to gun over time.

They do not damage the gun. There are many skeet shooters out there with guns well over 100K rounds using tubes with no issues other than normal wear of the action.

there effect on accurency?

Negligible

Etc... It is a used gun so what to look for as far as the tube that it will come with.

Make sure the 20 gauge tube chambers aren't cracked

Are they worth the extra $$$ to get shotgun with them.

If you use them. I shoot skeet competitively so I use my tubes all the time. I sometimes shoot 12 and 20 gauge events using the 28 gauge tubes.

I have all so heard that some shotgunners feel that it is "cheating" becuase your are not shooting a different gun but the same one you always shoot?

95+% of competitive skeet shooters use them.

The tubes do exactly what they say they do. They make a 12 guage into a .410/etc by having one end of the tube fit into the breech and the other end sticks out the muzzle bypassing the barrel. It's like having 2 guns in one.

They generally don't stick out the muzzle. On mine, they actually end about a quarter inch from the muzzle and are actually a full inch from the end of my extended chokes. They can be made flush and most fitted tubes are flush with flush chokes.

Last edited:
They generally don't stick out the muzzle. On mine, they actually end about a quarter inch from the muzzle and are actually a full inch from the end of my extended chokes. They can be made flush and most fitted tubes are flush with flush chokes.

Poor choice of wording. I was just trying to describe them as it seems as though he hadn't actually seen them. Some of the Brileys stick out because of the chokes, but yes, they don't have to do so and many don't.

the only down side... is that they do tend to add weight to the gun and can shift the center of gravity.

So even though you are shooting the same gun, it will hold swing and feel a little different. It may be very noticable or negligible depending on the gun the tubes, etc.

If I had unlimited resources, I would prefer mutliple guns in different gauges, but, that is not always possible or realistic..

Not sure what you mean

They fit inside the barrel and let you shoot smaller gauges in the same gun

They do not damage the gun. There are many skeet shooters out there with guns well over 100K rounds using tubes with no issues other than normal wear of the action.

Negligible

Make sure the 20 gauge tube chambers aren't cracked

If you use them. I shoot skeet competitively so I use my tubes all the time. I sometimes shoot 12 and 20 gauge events using the 28 gauge tubes.

95+% of competitive skeet shooters use them.

Basically he said it perfect. Tubes are big in the skeet market. Go for it and good luck.

the only down side... is that they do tend to add weight to the gun and can shift the center of gravity.

So even though you are shooting the same gun, it will hold swing and feel a little different. It may be very noticable or negligible depending on the gun the tubes, etc.

If I had unlimited resources, I would prefer mutliple guns in different gauges, but, that is not always possible or realistic..

10-4 I have a .410 for skeet and sporting clays already. I am most instrestd in the gun the tubes are a bonus.

Back
Top Bottom