Help reassembling Ruger MKiii

I am about to scream if I have to battle this any longer. I have spent hours trying to do this [crying]

I followed the video, and several like it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQFUD0SdQDU

The bolt slides in fine. The hammer is down. But I cannot for the life of me get the mainspring pin to lock into the top. No amount of force, including slipjoint pliers(within reason) will get this to happen. It is the pin that goes through up into the bottom of the frame, through the bolt, and into to top part where there is a catch. If that makes sense.

Am I missing something obvious? I am 1 second away from taking this to a gunsmith.....but don't want him/her to do 5 seconds of work and have me look like a fool :)

These guns are notorious for being giant pain in the arses. It is for this reason why I refuse to buy one. Many here have had to bring them to a gunsmith for reassembly. Do not be ashamed of it.

I think the last time I had mine apart, I ended up using a rubber mallet.

This was also like 3 years ago. I haven't bothered taking it apart since.

you cannot get the pin to go through bolt and out top? Use a screw driver or dowel against pin (perpendicular) to get leverage - so top of frame to you thumbs against frame and pull (for the ruger the frame is the upper with the bolt)....

If the pin will not go all the way in then the hammer rod is not going into the main spring detent correctly. Make sure the hammer rod is not stuck behind the frame rod, it should flop down to allow entry into the main spring if the hammer is down. Tough to describe but the utube videos are good.

if it makes you feel better, the first time I put my mk III back together, as taking it apart is easy, it took almost an hour. little by little it got easier, but also I avoided the process and cleaned it w/o the total takedown. it never failed me, incidentally. with my new one I intend to do the big job only when it starts having trouble, which is its, or God's, way of telling me it's time for a major cleaning.

btw, happy 4th! and always damn those who abuse their power, like democrats, republicans, and school administrators (petty officials)

If you cannot reassemble with your fingers only, please stop and do not use tools of any sort.
These guns are not always easy to assemble, especially if you do not do it often. And who does ?

An Internet search should provide you with good tips. The final assy. is easier if you hold the gun upside down.

I have found the following illustrations to be more helpful than the videos.
http://www.wikihow.com/Reassemble-a-Ruger-Mark-II

I usually get right on the second or third try. Patience is a virtue. LOL

Yeah... it's one of those things that makes you want to throw it out the window the 1st-2nd time you try it, but once you find that sweet spot/trick, its a snap.

These guns are notorious for being giant pain in the arses. It is for this reason why I refuse to buy one. Many here have had to bring them to a gunsmith for reassembly. Do not be ashamed of it.

Had I known how silly this was to reassemble, I would not buy it again. good to know I am not alone....

I think the last time I had mine apart, I ended up using a rubber mallet.
This was also like 3 years ago. I haven't bothered taking it apart since.

I am way past the rubber mallet....close to using a sledge at this point :). But yeah, the rubber mallet helped with my initial problem, where the mainspring was stuck.

Ok....I have made some progress.....I can actually get the mainspring pin to slide up, and it can lock into the handle.

But I am still stuck with only being able to pull the bolt back halfway, I ma thinking it is down to that hammer strut.

I get a kick out of it when people say they won't buy one because of this type of post/story....but maybe that's just because I've been taking one apart and putting it back together since I was 11. You don't want to hear this right now but it's not difficult once you know the mechanics of what's going on.

Try inserting the mainspring housing without the bold inserted just to make sure the holes in the receiver and frame are lined up. Also make sure the spring on the top of the bolt is aligned properly or the tab in the back where it meets the bolt body will get in the way of the pin.

Past those two things the problem is always the little hammer strut that someone already referenced. It needs to end up sitting in the little pocket of the mainspring housing, if it's not then even if you get the housing in and closed it won't function; the bolt won't come more than 1/4" back.

Walk away and tomorrow before trying again just sit and look at the parts to visualize what needs to happen. PM me if it's still not working for you, hell my club pres keeps me on speed dial for when a club member gets one and gets stuck in the spot you're in [smile]

Just picked up a MKII last week and want to disassemble it even though the gun is clean just to see if it's as bad as I've heard. The video link posted by Bill K. makes it look easy.
Let us know how you make out.

I get a kick out of it when people say they won't buy one because of this type of post/story....but maybe that's just because I've been taking one apart and putting it back together since I was 11. You don't want to hear this right now but it's not difficult once you know the mechanics of what's going on.
Walk away and tomorrow before trying again just sit and look at the parts to visualize what needs to happen. PM me if it's still not working for you, hell my club pres keeps me on speed dial for when a club member gets one and gets stuck in the spot you're in [smile]

Fair enough.....I seem to be getting something going on. I am just a little annoyed that it is so difficult to take apart....and others do agree. I can take pistols and rifles apart, this is the first I have had such trouble with.

Thank you for the pointers though :). Yes, I shall be walking away from it for the night.....I'll give you a PM if I am still struggling Thank you for that offer :)

Just take it apart agian and start from scratch. I had trouble my first time too. Practice it a bunch of times the only part of reassembly that may need a rubber mallet is putting the barrel on for the first few times but other than that itmshould all go back together by hand.

Will be giving that a shot tomorrow. I'd post a vid of me doing it....but it would be 5 terabytes in size.

I know it is something silly I am not getting, we'll see what a fresh head does tomorrow

The down then up thing is the key. also in a mkiii you need to insert the mag then pull the trigger then remove the mag.

The down then up thing is the key. also in a mkiii you need to insert the mag then pull the trigger then remove the mag.

Exactly. I feel your pain because I went through that as well the first time I took one apart. I got lucky by accidentally figuring it out. I was later told what it takes. When I installed a valquartzen trigger kit it took 15 minutes to get it apart and about 2 hours to get it back together. Rugers are fun :)

I need to use a mallet/wooden dowel to separate the upper and lower receiver and also to put them back together with my MK III. If they aren't put back back together such that they are lined up properly then the mainspring may not go in easily or at all.

You can gauge if the mainspring will go in properly by first testing if it will go in upside down - try to insert the pin from the top of the upper receiver. If it won't go in at all, or is difficult, you will probably want to try to re-seat the upper and lower.

Even if everything is lined up well, I still sometimes need to give the mainspring a light tap with a wooden dowel or small plastic mallet to make it go in - don't try that unless you're already sure sure the dangly hammer strut is in the correct position though. If everything is lined up you shouldn't need to force it... too much at least.

Had I known how silly this was to reassemble, I would not buy it again. good to know I am not alone....

I am way past the rubber mallet....close to using a sledge at this point :). But yeah, the rubber mallet helped with my initial problem, where the mainspring was stuck.

I knew t and bought another one anyway

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get one of these and you'll never have to deal with this problem again:

http://www.majesticarms.com/id10.html

SpeedStripKit.jpg

Mine was a nightmare to get apart and the whole time I knew it would be worse when I reassembled it. I tried to think of it as a right of passage. Ruger should really include a coupon for a free bottle of booze upon completion of assembly. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom