help programming radio

just got a little baofeng radio that I'm trying to program.

I'm looking to put in some local PD channels to scan on. I can program/save freqs no problem. where i run into issues is the freqs i want to program are too large. i.e. 462.7289, the radio stores as 462.729 (random example, not actual frequency). any idea why it does this?

I just picked up a baofeng myself and had to change the 'STEP" to 2.5K. I don't remember what it was originally set to, but it was much higher and I was not able to enter some of the channels correctly. The 4th digit after the . will be smaller than the rest. Keep in mind that if the last 4 digits are something like 7925 you will actually enter 793 and it will round the number "3" to "25." Might be a bit confusing at first, but try it and you'll see what I mean. Hope this helps.

I just picked up a baofeng myself and had to change the 'STEP" to 2.5K. I don't remember what it was originally set to, but it was much higher and I was not able to enter some of the channels correctly. The 4th digit after the . will be smaller than the rest. Keep in mind that if the last 4 digits are something like 7925 you will actually enter 793 and it will round the number "3" to "25." Might be a bit confusing at first, but try it and you'll see what I mean. Hope this helps.

that helped a lot i think. trying to get beverly PD programmed. actual frequency is 471.33750. I typed in 471.338 and it showed 471.337 with a small small "5" at the end. so this must be 471.3375?

Sounds like you got it, you should be good to go.

- - - Updated - - -

If you have time, check out youtube. There's a few videos that helped me figure out some of the features of the radio before the package arrived.

I couldn't get my baofeng programed, I watched tons of utube videos and kept getting error msg. I bought a cable and software from RT Systems and programed everything that I wanted!

I am expecting a cable to be delivered today as well. All the youtube vids seemed to recommend one along with CHIRP for programming. I like that you can set certain channels to skip, when scanning, in the software.

I did learn to program my baofeng manually but man was it a pain. A cable and CHIRP is so much easier.

Cables and computer are always easier but field programming is a must to be learned for the time when you might need it.

Been on the road more than once and put in some freqs of interest.

The more you practice at it, the easier it gets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am expecting a cable to be delivered today as well. All the youtube vids seemed to recommend one along with CHIRP for programming. I like that you can set certain channels to skip, when scanning, in the software.

Which model Baofeng?

Which model Baofeng?

The UV-5R V2+. Picked it up on Amazon and it claimed to have 2014 firmware and was fulfilled by Amazon, so I felt like it was less risky than ordering from a vendor shipping from China with no US warranty.

I can't speak to how they compare to others that cost more, but for me it works well and was affordable enough that I will likely pick up another to keep in my GHB in the car.

I have one UV-5R V2+ and it is great. You could down load an software to program from you PC to have many local police frequencies. It also hold battery extremely well for infrequent usage.

Cables and computer are always easier but field programming is a must to be learned for the time when you might need it.

Been on the road more than once and put in some freqs of interest.

The more you practice at it, the easier it gets.

Agree. I had the cable and software but was hell bent to program it manually. If you're in the field and need to then you better be able to.

Sent from the depths of Hell with TapaTalk V2

The Baofeng works well when you program it via the computer. However I am still trying to make sure it can hit the repeaters and have them signal back. I have the offset right but it usually reports back static (crackle) when it answers. I checked my RD and it agrees I programmed it correctly, so it may need a CTCSS tone to acknowledge a transmission.

Back
Top Bottom