• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help please

Wow, currently living in NY and thought the gun laws there were crazy....For the life of me I cannnot figure out if I can bring my guns to Boston or not. I can say this I know that straight out I can not bring them legally as is. My question is can I get a FID or whatever,,,bleeping thing or whatever they call it and make these legal to have? A shotgun with folding stock, and 9 round tube? and an FN-FL in .223? Or am I just plain out of luck? Thanks for the help.

Wow, currently living in NY and thought the gun laws there were crazy....For the life of me I cannnot figure out if I can bring my guns to Boston or not. I can say this I know that straight out I can not bring them legally as is. My question is can I get a FID or whatever,,,bleeping thing or whatever they call it and make these legal to have? A shotgun with folding stock, and 9 round tube? and an FN-FL in .223? Or am I just plain out of luck? Thanks for the help.

Would require FID or LTC which requires you to visit Chelsea to get same with an appointment. After it is issued to you, after spending $100.00 for same, than if the firearm is legal to posses in Boston, than yes you can bring it to Boston. If you are moving here, bring them and then get an FID to cover the shotgun and rifle. An LTC-A is required to carry a handgun concealed, good luck on getting that in Boston.

Boston issues LTC-A, no problem. They are restricted to no concealed carry, but they do issue them. And you have to pass a range test at Moon Island with a minimum score of 210/300 with a 4" .38Spl revolver. I've trained a lot of students for this test and they all got their LTC-As.

Now if you really are moving to BOSTON (or one of it's villages), be aware that Boston has had its own AWB since 1989. ALL AR-15s are forbidden as is a list of other guns. Likewise ALL rifle mags >10 rd capacity are forbidden as well. "Pre-Ban" is NOT recognize in Boston! There is a sticky thread here IIRC specifically on the Boston Ban.

If you live outside that city, any pre-ban ARs, etc. or pre-ban hi-cap mags are GTG.

Also, realize that you CAN bring any legal guns with you when you move.

You do not have to register them.
You have a 60 day window to get a LTC or FID when you move here if you have guns.
The statute says that they must issue you a FID or LTC within 40 days of your application. So even if the licensing process takes longer than the 60 days, provided you have applied for a license in a timely manner, then you are clean.

I got this from someone at the FRB. I suggest you do the same to confirm for yourself, get their name and take notes.

If you provide more information on the firearms in question, we could certainly help to figure out if they are legal.

make, model, serial number (with last few digits XX'd), and a photo would go a long way towards figuring this out.

Don

p.s. bottom line is to figure out what guns are legal here, then bring all the legal ones with you when you move. Then promptly apply for a LTC. Then you will be legal.

Now if you really are moving to BOSTON (or one of it's villages), be aware that Boston has had its own AWB since 1989. ALL AR-15s are forbidden as is a list of other guns. Likewise ALL rifle mags >10 rd capacity are forbidden as well. "Pre-Ban" is NOT recognize in Boston! There is a sticky thread here IIRC specifically on the Boston Ban.

LenS, historically speaking, do you remember what happened in 1989 to those residents possessing AR's and mags in 20/30rd capacities when the Boston ban went into effect? Did they need to turn them in, where they compensated for loss of property, any exceptions made for those lawfully possessed prior to the ban etc.

...what happened in 1989 to those residents possessing AR's and mags in 20/30rd capacities when the Boston ban went into effect?...

There was an opportunity for residents to apply for a "license to possess assault weapons"...

Chapter 596 of The Acts Of 1989 said:
SECTION 6. Within ninety days of the effective date of this act, any person lawfully in possession of an assault weapon and a firearm identification card for that assault weapon issued pursuant to section one hundred and twenty-nine B of chapter one hundred and forty of the General Laws shall apply to the police commissioner of the city of Boston, or his designee, for a license to possess such assault weapon...

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/bostonawban.html

Anecdotal evidence suggests that although there was a 90 day application window, the actual applications were unavailable until the last week or so. IIRC, approximately 125 "assault weapons" were ultimately registered.

There was an opportunity for residents to apply for a "license to possess assault weapons"...

http://www.goal.org/masslawpages/bostonawban.html

Anecdotal evidence suggests that although there was a 90 day application window, the actual applications were unavailable until the last week or so. IIRC, approximately 125 "assault weapons" were ultimately registered.

Thanks for covering that.

This avoided liability for "confiscation". BUT it was a "one time thing" and anyone who didn't get that special permit then was forever barred from possessing such guns/mags in the City of Boston (this affects RESIDENTS ONLY).

Back
Top Bottom