Help on RI non-resident permit

Apr 28, 2005
Feedback: 14 / 0 / 0
Any help in this matter would be appreciated. I have a quick question for those on the board who might have first hand information about Rhode Island. I have a MA CCW and of course a FL CCW. I do travel through RI quite often and was wondering if there was any chance of getting a non-resident RI permit. Should I even waste my time or just skip the state entirely? Any tips besides not carrying the gun at all. I generally am just passing through the state in my travels between towns but I would hate to deal with the hassle.

Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
If you have a Mass LTC/A and are simply cutting across RI to get from one end of MA to the other, RI will permit you to carry the gun in transit. IN TRANSIT; not shopping, running errands, doing business, etc.

If you are going to the range, RI will allow you to transport and shoot on your MA LTC.

If you want to carry while doing business IN RI, you need a non-resident license AND a very good reason why the AG should issue it to you. Note that, while any police chief can issue you the license, the practice is for the AG's office to handle ALL non-resident apps and as many RESIDENT apps as gutless chiefs are willing to abdicate their authority to issue.

OH - NOWHERE on your Mass. license doe the words "concealed" or "weapon" appear. You don't have a "CCW;" you have an LTC.
Quick clarification

Just to clarify, so you said that if I passing through RI to go from my home to another MA city I am allowed to carry so as long as I am not stopping for anything in RI. Just to be safe I think I am going to carry a printed copy of the regultaion just to be safe.

Sorry about the terminology with CCW I was just lazy in stating that. I consider them the same but that is my mistake.
Here you are:

§ 11-47-8 License or permit required for carrying pistol – Possession of machine gun. – (a) No person shall, without a license or permit issued as provided in §§ 11-47-11, 11-47-12 and 11-47-18, carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, except in his or her dwelling house or place of business or on land possessed by him or her or as provided in §§ 11-47-9 and 11-47-10. The provisions of these sections shall not apply to any person who is the holder of a valid license or permit issued by the licensing authority of another state, or territory of the United States, or political subdivision of the state or territory, allowing him or her to carry a pistol or revolver in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about his or her person whether visible or concealed, provided the person is merely transporting the firearm through the state in a vehicle or other conveyance without any intent on the part of the person to detain him or herself or remain within the state of Rhode Island. No person shall manufacture, sell, purchase, or possess a machine gun except as otherwise provided in this chapter. Every person violating the provision of this section shall, upon conviction, be punished by imprisonment for not less than one nor more than ten (10) years, or by a fine up to ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both, and except for a first conviction under this section shall not be afforded the provisions of suspension or deferment of sentence, nor a probation.
Davidk said:
Best place for RI info is Jim the moderator is great

Hi David,

Thanks for the link. I just did some reading there.

Man, I thought that we had problems with permits in MA. Seems like RI makes MA look good! :(
Top Bottom