Help needed

Hi All,

I have no idea of the current regs etc, I live in MA. Hoping you can help me, I have an old AK lower purchased pre Healey ban (have the receipt) and i have a bulgarian parts kit. Can I still build this out, have a registration number stamped on it and register it? Or have the regs changed where I am SOL.....

Here are the responses you’re gonna get.

1. “Free men don’t don’t ask for permission”
2. “It’s not a ban, or law change, just a guidance/reinterpretation and therefore holds no weight”
3. Delete this thread and proceed with your build”
4. “Youre SOL”

Anyone care to add or remove to any of the above, go for it.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I have no idea of the current regs etc, I live in MA. Hoping you can help me, I have an old AK lower purchased pre Healey ban (have the receipt) and i have a bulgarian parts kit. Can I still build this out, have a registration number stamped on it and register it? Or have the regs changed where I am SOL.....
Yes. You can build it.

Healey ban is not a ban. The Healey thing was a letter with an INTERPRETATION. Her interpretation is NOT A LAW.

Some people are OK with this, some might rather play it "safe", some don't give a sh*t, some register them, some dont and some sh*t themselves so bad no amount of depends will hold it.

But if you want to play it super duper depends safe, well, your receiver is pre Healey.

Remember, nothing is stopping the new AG from releasing her own interpretation and saying "pre-Healey means sh*t, all AK are illegal".

Last edited:
Hi All,

Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Healy’s opinion is her opinion, she doesn’t make law. Build it but comply with the actual law the legislature passed.

This. Make sure that you follow the Mass AWB. That’s the pre/post ban that matters.

There are Preban standard capacity mags avai if you want to shoot more and reload less.

Awesome thanks for the replys! I guess second question is anyone can recommend a place to get the serial number stamped once I get it built out? Can go anywhere near middlesex county, four seasons etc.

Lol meant serial number not registration
According to your first post, it seems you bought a (finished) receiver. It should have a serial number. Why would you add another?

And even if you're starting from a flat, you have no responsibility to add serialization. That's only for manufacturers. Which you're not, unless you're "in the business."

According to your first post, it seems you bought a (finished) receiver. It should have a serial number. Why would you add another?

And even if you're starting from a flat, you have no responsibility to add serialization. That's only for manufacturers. Which you're not, unless you're "in the
Its an unfinished reciever. So I can register it without a serial number? Sorry I have no idea how it works, I bought it a long time ago as a fun project but its been sitting in my safe for years. All the talk in the news has me nervous if i don't do it now they'll pass some legislation and it will end up a paper weight

Here are the responses you’re gonna get.

1. “Free men don’t don’t ask for permission”
2. “It’s not a ban, or law change, just a guidance/reinterpretation and therefore holds no weight”
3. Delete this thread and proceed with your build”
4. “Youre SOL”

Anyone care to add or remove to any of the above, go for it.
I like turtles

Its an unfinished reciever. So I can register it without a serial number? Sorry I have no idea how it works, I bought it a long time ago as a fun project but its been sitting in my safe for years. All the talk in the news has me nervous if i don't do it now they'll pass some legislation and it will end up a paper weight
Hold Up Wait A Minute GIF by ABC Network

Let's make sure we're talking about the same thing.

When you say "unfinished receiver" what do you mean? What did you buy, from whom? Was there a FFL and a background check involved? Is it just flat sheet metal and instructions?

If you're talking about a so-called 80% receiver, you currently have a paperweight. That is, in the eyes of the feds, it's not a firearm.

If it's a "stripped" receiver, with all the features necessary to assemble it to the rest of your build kit, then it's already a firearm and should have a serial number on it.

All that aside, when you have a completed firearm - i.e., capable of firing a shot - and you go to file your eFA10, there's no requirement that it have a serial number. There are several ways a person could have a firearm without a serial. The generally accepted way of dealing with that on home-built firearms is some variation on "NSN" (No Serial Number).

When you say "unfinished receiver" what do you mean? What did you buy, from whom? Was there a FFL and a background check involved? Is it just flat sheet metal and instructions?

If you're talking about a so-called 80% receiver, you currently have a paperweight. That is, in the eyes of the feds, it's not a firearm.

If it's a "stripped" receiver, with all the features necessary to assemble it to the rest of your build kit, then it's already a firearm and should have a serial number on it.

All that aside, when you have a completed firearm - i.e., capable of firing a shot - and you go to file your eFA10, there's no requirement that it have a serial number. There are several ways a person could have a firearm without a serial. The generally accepted way of dealing with that on home-built firearms is some variation on "NSN" (No Serial Number).
Hold up, hold up, hold up!!

Anyone asking these questions likely doesn’t have the skills to build an AK from bare receiver to functioning firearm. Stripped AK lowers are nothing like stripped AR lowers.

Well its been so long I couldnt remember anymore so i dug it out of the safe, seems it was a waffen works receiver and it did have a serial number stamped on it. So looks like Im all set. Thanks for the help and patience!

Bro, stop listening to the news. They don't even know how to properly stage a bullet in a hole.

there is no legal requirement to serialize a home made gun, if you milled it from a billet on a Bridgeport or from a "80%" part.

That also goes for if you make it from a shovel ( a hat tip to Boris !)

There are guys who do it at The Mill in Littleton ( AKA Mecca ) ask @EddieCoyle if you want to have it done for fun with a serial number you want like "f*ck Maura"

You will need to build it out to conform to the AWB of 1994 as far as "evil features" go. No collapsible stocks, etc.

WHEN the gun is capable of firing a shot, as in the first time all the parts are assembled into a functioning gun, you have SEVEN days iirc to record the "transaction" on the Commiewealths website via a eFA-10

No seller name is needed, serial number is "none" or "NSN"

Does your kit have the original Bulgarian barrel?

If so, it is illegal to build it into a functioning rifle. Luckily for you I am the only person professional enough in the entire state to have the official state issued license to dispose of AK kits properly.

If it has a US made barrel, you can build it into a functioning rifle.

Back
Top Bottom