• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

help me w/ my mosin cleaning rod please

lancecolonel

NES Member
i am looking to buy bore brushes to use with my mosin cleaning rod. it looks like it's close to #8-32 in size (#8-32 dia=.164, actual cleaning rod dia=.156). has anyone tried using any type of adapter to use the modern bore brushes with the original mosin cleaning rod? if so, what did you use? thanks in advance.

these are the brushes i want to buy.

if i would be better off just buying something like this for the cleaning rod sections, let me know.

I've seen two threads on them. The weird thread that's not metic or imperial.

Thread gauges don't really help cause you could get the right threads per inch but its the angle there cut at that's way different .

Go to a hardware store and see if u can find a nut that will screw on . If u find one tell me the thread size and ill make you a adapter .

Or cut the thread section off and retread it .

I don't think you can buy a adapter .

I'm lazy and never used the rod I just used a Otis cleaning kit and cable .
I gave away my stock and cleaning rod so if I didn't I'd offer to figure out the thread.

Last edited:
thanks ben, but i already said "screw it" and ordered the brushes and rod sections. upon closer inspection the mosin rod is nowhere near the length of the barrel, so i decided not to use it.

Once the entire cleaning rod isxassembled it should be long enough. If your going to use the surplus kit use the muzzle guide.
Its a lot easier to just buy a rod or cable style pull through th clean your rifle.

^is this true for the m44? the rod with the jag attached seemed to fall a couple inches short of making it through the barrel (started from the muzzle end)
and i have a bore snake but forgot to windex the bore after the last time i shot it. so now i have a nice orange tinted bore that needs more elbow grease than a bore snake can muster. i can't believe how fast oxidation starts. lesson learned.

^is this true for the m44? the rod with the jag attached seemed to fall a couple inches short of making it through the barrel (started from the muzzle end)
and i have a bore snake but forgot to windex the bore after the last time i shot it. so now i have a nice orange tinted bore that needs more elbow grease than a bore snake can muster. i can't believe how fast oxidation starts. lesson learned.
No problem allways wiling to help nesers out .
You have no idea how much time I've spent at work making stuff for nesers lol.

Shoot a round and call it done. If you can find it crystal simple green is amazing . To stop corrosive ammo etc .

I remember when I cleaned my bastard mosin for the first time 40 patches and it went from black to green and I said guess that's good enough for me .

I'm getting a Chinese type 53 this week . It's gonna be a wild card I have no idea what the bore going to look like of I shoot foot size groups ill be happy lol.

The Mosin barrel is close enough to a 30.06/.308/30-30 bore as to not matter. I use the same brass barrel brush on my Mosin, WASR, and 30.06 on a rod.

As far as windex goes, the gun was designed way before windex. When I'm done shooting I go home and pour a bottle of water down the barrel using a turkey baster so I don't spill. Washes most of the salt away, then I CLP, a few patches, some oil, and done. The milsurp ammo creates a salt residue that attracts and holds moisture, the moisture being the problem, NOT the residue. Water dissolves salt, CLP displaces water, oil protects barrel. Remember, this gun was designed for Russian peasants to use in the early 1900's. No offense, but I doubt they expected the same care to be given these guns as we give our $1500 AR's.

I've been using 12" sections of screw-together aluminum cleaning rods for my mosins ... 4 sections for my 91/30 and 3 sections for my M44. I too had the same experience with the M44 cleaning rod being too short.

I clean with M-Pro 7, then some Hoppe's #9, then some oil. Done. I usually check the bore about a week after cleaning just to make sure there's no build up of any kind of crud in the barrel. Never had a problem.

Radtekk, I like the idea of a turkey baster. Thanks for the tip.

Brad

The windex just kills the salts so if u don't clean it right away your still ok.
It's really just the ammonia in it but its a hell alot nicer spraying windex vs pouring that down your barrel.

Back
Top Bottom