• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me spend my money

Spend my money... LOL

• 22 Pistol

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Reloading Setup

Votes: 22 53.7%

• Total voters

EMTDAD

NES Member
Ok.. I got some gift cards for Xmas. Trying to decide between getting into reloading, or picking up a 22 pistol (S&W Victory probably). I currently don't have a 22 pistol. The only reloading caliber I would need right now would be the 30-06 Garand loads, and I can find them for 60-70 cents/rd and maybe 9mm if I ever felt like it.

They're roughly the same cost at about $400. The reloading might cost a bit more to setup the actual bench and area in the basement.

I'm not a competitive shooter, so reloading for precision accuracy isn't something I'm into right now. Reloading would mainly be a cost saving investment. Appears I can save roughly 30cents/rd by reloading the 30-06. With a $400 investment and saving 30c per round, the break even point is about 1300 rounds. Between all the other stuff I do, might take me a year or more to get thru that many rounds.

WWND (What Would NESers Do)?

Get into some form of competition first then get into reloading. I know you're right next to RI, so if you to know more about competitions available in RI, feel free to PM.

There's a few reasons to get into reloading. Precision shooting, learning something new and interesting, saving a bit of money, and being able to make your own ammo during a shortage.

There have been two major hoarding events and shortages in the past 12 years or so. It sucks when you want to go shooting but have no ammo and can't find any for sale. That's the primary reason I got into the hobby.

By the time you get all the trinkets needed to reload you'll be into it for more than $400. You'll need brass, a way to clean brass, a way to chamfer and deburr rifle brass, primers, powder, bullets, a scale, a reloading press and fixtures, go/nogo gauges and more.

You're seemingly not all the committed to reloading. But a new gun, or just load up on an emergency stock of ammo.

There have been two major hoarding events and shortages in the past 12 years or so. It sucks when you want to go shooting but have no ammo and can't find any for sale. That's the primary reason I got into the hobby.
The primers are the one reloading item that seems to become scare every few years or so; same with power but to a much lesser degree.

Everyone should learn how to reload. But it's also a huge time sink. And to make it cost effective, be prepared to drop several hundred $ on a component when you see it on sale, or become available, etc. If you're buying a pound of powder, or a box of bullets at a time from an LGS, you're doing it wrong. A good example was the recent CCI rebate that I was able to also combine with a few coupons from the vendor. I'm now good with SR primers for the next 3-4 years.

By the time you get all the trinkets needed to reload you'll be into it for more than $400. You'll need brass, a way to clean brass, a way to chamfer and deburr rifle brass, primers, powder, bullets, a scale, a reloading press and fixtures, go/nogo gauges and more.
This. You'll also need a brass trimmer to trim your 30-06 cases before you chamfer/deburr them. I use the Tri-way trimmer which is $105

The primers are the one reloading item that seems to become scare every few years or so; same with power but to a much lesser degree.
Agreed. And there are so many companies making bullets these days that I'm not overly concerned with having a huge stock of bullets on hand. I do have a good amount but I'm not going to store 10-20k of each caliber bullet on hand either...

Everyone should learn how to reload. But it's also a huge time sink. And to make it cost effective, be prepared to drop several hundred $ on a component when you see it on sale, or become available, etc. If you're buying a pound of powder, or a box of bullets at a time from an LGS, you're doing it wrong. A good example was the recent CCI rebate that I was able to also combine with a few coupons from the vendor. I'm now good with SR primers for the next 3-4 years.
This!! Emphasis on the time sink part too. Pistol calibers ain't bad but rifle calibers are a PITA especially if you shoot a lot. My Garand and 1903A3 don't get shot much - maybe a few hundred rounds per year. I reload 30-06 but I'm still burning through HXP and PPU ammo first - both of which I've had for almost 5 years....

You just have to do brass prep in batches spread over a few days or else you'll go crazy lol.

It helps if you have a progressive press and can crank out rounds quickly - ONCE you have the brass properly trimmed/remove any crimped primer pockets, chamfer and debur the cases. I use a single state press only to size the rifle brass. Then load them on my Hornady LNL AP.

Asking about reloading is like asking "What car should I buy" You did give some good parameters though and it seems you've done your homework.

Reloading is different for everyone. Some will say its a waste of time, others say you wont save any money. They're both right and wrong at the same time, it all depends on you and what you see as a value.

I enjoy reloading as a hobby, just as much as I do shooting. I enjoy spending time at my bench making ammo, even if it is breaking even with bulk bought ammo, I enjoy the process, just that simple. Some people like hitting a small ball, chasing it down, and hitting it again until it goes in a small hole. To each his own.

Reloading is a good skill to have and to learn. You won't be dependent on your local store having your favorite ammo in stock. You can make ammo almost any time you want. Its fun making an accurate rifle shoot even better by finding a load it likes.

Reloading doesn't have to cost a ton to get into and produce same, accurate rounds. Start off with a Lee anniversary kit for $130ish, a set of 30-06 dies for $40, a Lee trimmer for 30-06 for $12 and then you componants, $33 for 100 bullets, $4 for primers. I'm assuming you saved you 30-06 brass. Thats it. At the volume your shooting, you don't need a tumbler, media separator or any of that jazz just yet. Theres tons of equipment out there, tools, gauges, and all sorts of doo-dads you can sink money into. You might find later that you may want or like some of those items but for now its just not needed to get the basics done.

The biggest argument against reloading you're going to hear is "What is your time worth". Only you can answer that.

I still have primers left purchased on Octover 2016.
Buy alot, buy once.

I do grab a box once in a while if I see it at a good price, but it's not because I dont have enough.

One very important piece with reloading is you need to be a very patient person with a fine eye for detail. You can't rush, you can't let your mind wander and you have to pay very close attention to what you are doing or a mistake can happen. Mistakes in the reloading world can lead to catastrophic outcomes. I'm not saying this to scare you out of reloading, but just to make sure you are aware of the commitment.

I'm set up to reload but learned that I don't have the patience for hours at the reloading press. I can reload several calibers if needed, but overall I don't enjoy it as much as many here on the board do. To each their own.

Reloading: it's only a matter of time before there is either a state or federal hoopla on ammo requiring either a background check or obscene tax requirement- get ahead of the curve, figure it out early and stock up.

Last edited:
I'd be looking for a gun. Maybe an older 22 revolver.

I reloaded when I first got into the sport and still have all the equipment that an old girlfriend bought me for Christmas. I found it very time consuming but did have fun fooling around with loads and powders.

If you only look at reloading as a way of saving money, and you dont compete or dont shoot over 1K rounds/year, then you might not enjoy it and it might become a waste of time.

If you like to make something yourself, make it the way you want to, with the powder and bullet weight you want, then reloading is great. You can even reload only during winter, during snow storms and shoot the rest of the year, there is no need to reload weekly. I took a year off at one point, then picked it back up.

If you think you will eventually try some sort of competition, then reloading is the way to go.

There are too many variables to tell you if reloading is or isn't a good idea, you need to decide for yourself. For example, now that I work from home and go to the gym in the morning, I have a couple of hours to do absolutely nothing every night, between 5pm, when I'm done working, and 7pm when my girl gets home. Instead of watching TV, I might reload. During summer, I dont reload and go out with my mountainbike.

22 pistol. It increases my range time and enjoyment by a lot. There are times I go and don't bring a pistol and I almost always regret it.
If you want to get into reloading, do so because you want to learn a new hobby. It can be tedious and time consuming and you may make up lots of loads that don't perform to find one that does. I like reloading for what it is but if I were forced to choose just one, it would be the 22 pistol. It's always rewarding.

this is what I had estimated for reloading based on the MassReloaders.com FAQ... mind you.. I get 15% off list price at BPS. 45% off BPS brands like Rangemaxx. and the Gift Cards I have are for BPS so that's where I'd do most of the shopping. For Jack who said get both.. I would love to, but finances dictate otherwise. As for NES membership.. I did have it at one point, then it lapsed when my job situation changed..

Total Cost$354.75
Lee Breech Lock Challenger
Kit$144.50
Pressinc
priming toolinc
funnelinc
scaleinc
powder dispenserinc
trimmerinc
primer pocket cleanerinc
chamfer toolinc
lubeinc
book$38.25
tray$6.80
trickler$13.60
Dies$29.75
Tumbler$33.00
Media$11.00
ammo checker$34.00
Caliper$9.00
hornady headspace ga.$34.85

Last edited:
If you like to make something yourself, make it the way you want to, with the powder and bullet weight you want, then reloading is great. You can even reload only during winter, during snow storms and shoot the rest of the year, there is no need to reload weekly.
Good point. This is what I do for most calibers especially 9mm. Get enough made for the IDPA/USPSA season so I don't need to reload for another year. It's been over a year at this point since I last reloaded 9mm.

I can reload every caliber I own if I need to. Call it self sufficiency.

I am getting low on a few components but plan on restocking as soon as I can afford to. The one thing I do try to do is buy as much .22LR as I can because ya can't reload .22LR (well there is some kits out there that say you can but...).

I have 1000's of rounds of 45acp, 223, 9mm loaded with thousands more pieces of brass in each caliber so I am good for a while. I haven't been shooting as much lately so the reloaded round count is going up slowly. I also buy a few boxes here and there when I see something on sale and I have a few $$$ in my pocket.

Reloading only works out if you have the time.
Or your shooting non popular cartridges
If your reloading 30-06 at half the cost of PPU M2ball god bless you.

my thoughts:
What are you more likely to shoot more often. 22 or 30-06
For me I would grab 500 rounds of PPU M2 at the cheapest you can find and a 22 and some 22lr ammo.
When you get close to using up that 30-06 you will have nice brass to start reloading and 6 months or so to save and think about reloading

I'd get a nice .22lr autoloader. That S&W or one of the newer Rugers. I have a .22lr conversion kit on my 1911. If you have a .45 it's a fun option.

If you'd consider a revolver right now I'd be checking the Single Six Convertible. Takes .22lr and .22WMR by changing cylinders.

Last edited:
Reloading only works out if you have the time.
Or your shooting non popular cartridges
Yup! Can't emphasize the time part enough - especially with rifle calibers. Pistol it's simply, clean the brass and then start loading em.

I’ve been reloading for eons and I find it interesting and relaxing. I have over 500 rounds of freshly cleaned .30-06 brass that’s begging to be reloaded, but just don’t have the time right now.

The biggest issue with reloading, as others have mentioned, are the up-front costs to get a reliable and efficient set up going. There are often good deals here in the WTS section, so keep an eye on that.

Advise is free so take it for what it's worth.
A reloading setup may be a wise investment for the future.
Even if you don't do much more than dabble and get educated on the basics now, a few years down the line you might be glad you have the supplies and know how.

Last edited:
I've got a couple or three decent 22 pistols. Can't remember the last time I shot them.
I vote for either the reloading stuff ( which is something I use all the time, as in constantly), or a slightly used 357 revo. Blue 4 inch of course.

the other thing to keep in mind is that with the Bass Pro Gift Cards, my money goes farther on the reloading stuff rather than the firearm since I don't get any discounts on firearms and their guns are generally on the overpriced side anyway.

Back
Top Bottom