• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me select my next compact pistol

First, I've not seen or handled any of the below pistols so if you own one I'd appreciate your opinion.

Second, I have fairly large hands and really hate it when any semi gives me that 'web-bite' on my hand.

Third, I have two snubbie revolvers so please don't suggest a wheelgun.

I've narrowed it down to these:

Sig Sauer P238 .380

Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380

Ruger SR9 Compact 9mm

Walther PPS in 9mm

Thanks! [grin]

Glock 26.

I know that wasn't on your list, but it is better than anything on your list, save for maybe the PPS. If I was forced to take something on that list, it would be the PPS 9mm with a trigger job (if required).

-Mike

My vote: SR9C all the way.

Had a PPS and although the PPS wins on being a slab, the SR9C is much nicer on the hands (IMO). I don't have really large hands, but the SR9C fits very well.

Second, I have fairly large hands and really hate it when any semi gives me that 'web-bite' on my hand.

PPS

i have one... large pack strap, 7 or 8 round mag and your good to go, slaying bodies. *beware of the trigger* i don't find mine to be that bad, but some people will make it sound like your pulling a fat guy from a well with every pull.

(or a Glock 26 or 19) [smile]

I've owned a P238 for a few months now, and it s pretty good. It's very easy to pocket carry with the Sig pocket holster. But it may be too small for you, since you mentioned you have big hands.

PPS

i have one... large pack strap, 7 or 8 round mag and your good to go, slaying bodies. *beware of the trigger* i don't find mine to be that bad, but some people will make it sound like your pulling a fat guy from a well with every pull.

It depends on which one you get. If you get a gun with the crappy MA compliant trigger, the trigger pull on those is best described as "constipated".

-Mike

[rofl] mine IS the "H" model... i shot mine and then EC's on the same day and his was a lot better... but not by much i'd say 2 to 3 pounds... i'm guestimating mine is at about 8.5 to 10 pounds.. like M&P ish... [laugh]

*note - i don't really notice the difference between free state guns and MA guns like the PPS, M&P... there ARE guns that i do notice have better triggers: Para LDA's, Springfield Armory XD's, then moving on to Glocks (with MODS) and 1911's (SAO, brownings ect)

+1 on the Glock 26.. or a S&W M&P Compact: due to the size of your hands... The SR9 is in the same size category as these two guns, but not on the same level as them.

If you are dead set on a firearm from the list, then go with the PPS, the ONLY drawback I see to that firearm is the magazine release being "not standard"... meaning, if you go with that gun, practice reloads religiously because the magazine release is different than "most" common semi-auto pistols.

Glock 26.

I know that wasn't on your list, but it is better than anything on your list, save for maybe the PPS. If I was forced to take something on that list, it would be the PPS 9mm with a trigger job (if required).

-Mike

based on your mike1911 screen name i imagine you are an avid 1911 guy. check out the springfield EMP, not on your short list. have one and love it. probably the nicest pistol i have ever owned. if not the Sig 238 is nice little shooter, but its all about the "fit"

Last edited:
+1 on the Glock 26.. or a S&W M&P Compact: due to the size of your hands... The SR9 is in the same size category as these two guns, but not on the same level as them.

If you are dead set on a firearm from the list, then go with the PPS, the ONLY drawback I see to that firearm is the magazine release being "not standard"... meaning, if you go with that gun, practice reloads religiously because the magazine release is different than "most" common semi-auto pistols.

i agree. i put a couple few hundred rounds through mine and practiced reloading with it. it IS a draw back, but 8 + 1 with a spare or two is hard to beat in a small package like the PPS. and for a small gun, it's really comfortable to shoot. after i picked it up, i mostly trained with it, as to NOT skew my confidence in reloading and the trigger. i wouldn't dare carry this gun today because i haven't shot it since September (ish). [laugh]

I just went through this exercise and purchased a used M&P9c with a trigger job and 4 @10 round mags for $400. I tried a Glock 26 3rd gen, a Glock 27 4th gen and Rugar SR9c...thought I really wanted the Glock but did not like the feel/ergonomics or the price!! The SR9c was nice and priced right but I ultimately went with the M&P...500 plus round fired with out any problems.

It's easy to say here's what I've got you should by it. That said I sold a G 27 here at NES to get a Ruger Src 9 I don't regret it. Maybe a G 26 Is more controllable. So I don't have direct experience with it. I still feel the Ruger fits the bill well.furthermore if I didn't live in this POS state I could carry ti with 17 round mags.

Last edited:
Glock 26.

-Mike

I would say this as well. Can't go wrong with a G26 but it can be a little fat at times. The PPS is very nice as well.

How do you want to carry. The P238 and BG380 can be pocket carried which in the summer IMO is very convenient.

+1 For the ruger here, mine shoots great with no malfunction and no wear and tear on the hands. I like the pps but its only holds 8 rounds, though its much easier to conceal.Im currently looking at getting into the BG380 for pocket or ankle carry, its nice and small with the handy built in laser if youre into that.
Have you shot any of the ones you listed yet?

Last edited:
I dont think a G26/G27 is comparable to any on that list.

If the OP is looking to pocket carry or for something less cumbersome, the G26/27 is not in that category.

Then that kills the SR9c considering it is slightly larger than the G26/27... The OP only mentioned wanting a compact handgun, and that he has big hands. I LOVE the S&W BG380, but don't know how well someone with big hands would like it?

SR9C all the way, If I didn't own a g26 I would buy that in a second. I did get my Father to buy one, so I take it to the range on occasion. Amazing trigger, like it better then any stock Glock Trigger. Its short, crisp, no over travel. Great sites not to large for CC and very reliable. I haven't seen any jams or malfunctions out of it. Best is the price!

The only gun on your list that I've shot is the bodyguard .380. I also have large hands and didn't have a problem with this gun. Guns as small and light as the bodyguard have a lot of recoil for such a small caliber but they are easy to conceal. I won't badmouth the .380 though I carry a much larger caliber. I suggest you carry the largest caliber you can hit well with and are willing and able to conceal every day

Ruger SR9c. Great gun for a great price. I have a full size and absolutely love it. My wife plans on getting the SR9c as her CCW pistol. I have large hands as well and fid the SR9c extremely comfortable. I personally carry a Glock 26.

Glock 26.

-Mike

+1 GLOCK 26

Another vote for the SR9c. I have fondled many of these compacts, and for the money, you would be hard pressed to get a nicer all around compact than the Ruger. I'm actually going to pick one up tomorrow if I have time. I may eventually pick up a BG380 for pocket carry, but for now the Ruger will be my main carry. I considered the G26, and the M&P also, but I keep coming back to the SR9c, because I can't justify paying so much more when the quality and features of the Ruger are so nice. The trigger is also better inmo than the others I mentioned too. You definitely should "feel" them all though to see what is most natural, and comfortable for you.

Back
Top Bottom