• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me plan my 15-22 Uprgrades...

I will be purchasing an M&P 15-22 in the near future, it will be a fun project gun. There are a few things I want to do off the bat, but being an AK guy and now new to the AR world I could use some help.

I will likely be getting the BUIS Sights. My goal is for this gun to be very low profile, I don't want trinkets hanging off all over the place. Heres the thing, I want to put a red dot with an offset mount Magnifier, and again Low Profile.

What do you guys recommend? I was thinking about going the Primary Arms route. I am not prepared to go any higher in price for just a .22, but we will see.

So let me have it, thoughts?

I think it all depends on your motivation and what you want out of the rifle. I own a 15-22 because my main battle rifle is a 5.56 AR. I wanted something that I could train on for less money that would look and feel like the same platform. I configured my 15-22 in the same as my regular AR. I did however leave on the iron sights only. Once again, I want to train and practice with irons, occasionally using the scope I have on the full size.
My advice is to keep this one simple and save money up for a 5.56 AR, but have fun with it. They are great little shooters!

Last edited:
I too am waiting to her that an M&P AR 15/22 is in....for the same reasons mentioned above, training on something that is very similar to my AR's that is cost effective.

Irons and a simple red dot

One thing to keep in mind is that the MP will accept firing control parts for the AR. If you don't like the trigger an after market trigger group could be inorder.

I was thinking about going the Primary Arms route. I am not prepared to go any higher in price for just a .22, but we will see.

So let me have it, thoughts?

I just got the "Primary Arms Micro Dot With Removable Base MD-06" last week for my Sig 522 (quad rail), great red dot, love it. Really small, low profile and high quality. I have it on a 1/2 riser and it allows me to get a perfect full co-witness with my Troy micro battlesights (great BUIS sights once you learn how to properly adjust them).

BTW, Troy is an amazing company (which happens to be based in West Springfield, MA). I screwed up the front sight post (trying to raise the point of aim with the adjustment tool) -- ultimately I jammed the front sight post and could no longer adjust it. Troy RMA'd the front sight for free and I got the replacement back in less than a week. Troy battlesights are pricey but that kind of customer service made the cost well worth it!

Last edited:
I ended up getting a set of Magpul BUIS for mine, some Magpul rail covers, Magpul hand stop, clamp on sling mount, a Barska 2x red dot and a n NC Star riser with a quick detach lever. For skimping on the riser and dot, it holds zero well and makes it a much more fun rifle to shoot.

Definitely recommend the primary arms micro with removable base (MD-06) and the American Defense QD Mount. I don't know if you need BUIS, but would recommend the Magpul flip ups.

Last edited:
I'm in love with mine, picked it up Wednesday. Threw a crappy vertical foregrip on it, planning a Magpul AFG and an FDE paint job, maybe a sling. And a ****-ton more ammo, as even with only two 10-round PITA-to-load mags, I seem to piss through .22 like no one's business with this thing [cheers]

Back
Top Bottom