• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me pick or build a new AR upper (please)

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to build a 20in barreled upper. Essentially I want a heavy, high-end, tack driver. The problem is I'm new to AR's and have no clue where to start. I've been looking at LMT parts but I really just have no experience. Where should I start?

Footnote: Since I'm on the AR topic does anyone have any experience about the JP silent buffer springs? I hear good things but I'm not 100% if it'll fit in an older Colt lower or if i need to remove the buffer detent before installing.

I have a Les Baer that shoots between 1/4 to 1/2. Its pretty tough to get just their barrels unless you go to them directly. I have also had good luck with White Oak Armament barrels, but the Les Baer consistently shot just a little better for me.

Dave

White Oak. Their prices have come down, and a complete upper (incl. BCG+CH) can be had for ~$700.

If your going to buy a upper, depending on scoped/iron sights end use ect White Oak are hard to beat.
Wilson arms barrels are on my rifles and 1moa with tossed together ammo is pretty easy to achieve.
There are several good barrels out there.
Your end use and expected results are key to what you want.
Consider your ammo choices also.
My RRA milspec A2 will shoot 60grain noslers varmint bullets to 1moa from a rest with ease. It will not hold 4" with any of the M193/855 branded ammo out there. The best factory non match ammo I put through the milspec was Remington 55 grain stuff in the yellow and green box.
I have 18" heavy barrel with matched bolt from compass lake bought last year on sale super slick barrel.

If your going to buy a upper, depending on scoped/iron sights end use ect White Oak are hard to beat.
Wilson arms barrels are on my rifles and 1moa with tossed together ammo is pretty easy to achieve.
There are several good barrels out there.
Your end use and expected results are key to what you want.
Consider your ammo choices also.
My RRA milspec A2 will shoot 60grain noslers varmint bullets to 1moa from a rest with ease. It will not hold 4" with any of the M193/855 branded ammo out there. The best factory non match ammo I put through the milspec was Remington 55 grain stuff in the yellow and green box.
I have 18" heavy barrel with matched bolt from compass lake bought last year on sale super slick barrel.

Since you mentioned the bolt, would you recommend matching the BCG/Bolt with the barrel manufacturer or mix them? Regardless of the upper I'd need a new M16 style BCG.

White Oak. Their prices have come down, and a complete upper (incl. BCG+CH) can be had for ~$700.

I'm really liking their heavy stainless barrel style. Their predator upper is very appealing as well....

I thought this thread would make this decision easier now I just have even more choices..... Well the only way I see now to deal with this issue is to just buy a bunch of uppers....

You mentioned “an older colt lower”. The first civilian colts had a larger hole to attach the upper to lower at front of lower or the pivot pin. Instead of push pin you needed two screwdrivers to remove a screw. These had no sear block. Then before 94 assault weapon ban colt added sear block, first pinned in , then integral to lower. Both versions with sear block used large hole for attaching upper, and neither sear block will accept m-16 bcg.

Post ,94 AWB expiring colt used standard hole in upper and no sear block. these are standard mil spec and you can use any current upper.

So how old is the colt lower? Do u have screwdriver pivot pin or a sear block? There are options but know before you buy.

You mentioned “an older colt lower”. The first civilian colts had a larger hole to attach the upper to lower at front of lower or the pivot pin. Instead of push pin you needed two screwdrivers to remove a screw. These had no sear block. Then before 94 assault weapon ban colt added sear block, first pinned in , then integral to lower. Both versions with sear block used large hole for attaching upper, and neither sear block will accept m-16 bcg.

Post ,94 AWB expiring colt used standard hole in upper and no sear block. these are standard mil spec and you can use any current upper.

So how old is the colt lower? Do u have screwdriver pivot pin or a sear block? There are options but know before you buy.

Its a Gov't model around 1990ish. Large pivot pin with the screwdrivers (this can fit newer upper with an adapter) and no sear block so a new M-16 bolt should be gtg. Ttandard trigger pins too.

Another to try is Compass Lake for a complete upper, or just a barrel and you can build it out. Compass Lake Engineering is at the same level as White Oak's high end stuff. Honestly, you might spend as much piecing one together vs. just buying the upper.

If you are on a budget, try Ballistic Advantage barrels in Florida. Their Premium series heavy barrels can shoot .3 to .6 MOA with decent ammo.

Larue gets my vote. Especially now that you can get the entire rifle kit, minus the stripped lower, for like $799. Which includes their nice 2 stage trigger as well.

I just installed a JP silent buffer on a super lightweight rifle I build yesterday. There are no issues installing this system relating to older lowers. This lower is a 93 Colt large pin with a milled off sear block.
I have it in a PWS gen 2 enhanced buffer tube and I needed to add a quarter for a shim just to make sure that the buffer was fully engaging the BCG.
I'm taking it to the range and will report back tomorrow evening let you know how it goes.
The biggest selling point is that this captured system allows you to remove the spring n entirely when using this system, which hypothetical removes one more failure point in the AR system: a sheared detent that then goes into the trigger group or BCG.
Also it really is quiet does not sproing at all which is interesting/odd though not really a big deal.
You don't have to remove the detent putting it in, but taking it out with the detent still in place is a pain in the ass hole because the pin will catch on the grooves in the body of the buffer weights and you have to depress it with a long thin tool and whilst holding the buffer tube upright and giggling it. This is because their is no spring tension beyond the actual length of the assembly. I left the detent in for now, but when I disassemble the gun to have it annodized, I'll leave the detent out.

The system is stupid expensive but I bought it on super discount over black friday and I couldn't help myself.

Last edited:
Daniel Defense makes a "Big Hole Upper Receiver w/ feed ramps". Comes drilled to match the lower, and comes with the push pin sized to big hole. Pricey, but you don't need adapter. $200 neighborhood if you can find one in stock. I've done it and liked it. Google whats in quotes.

I can certainly help, I just finished a whole rifle from scratch. PM me if youre interested. I also have some tools you could borrow (Geissele Reaction rod) etc..
I appreciate the offer, thank you.

The pivot pins are only 20 dollars and it looks like DD is a bunch of tory fuDD's.
If I was going high end complete uppers i'd look at BCM.

My buddy swears by BCM, YHM and LMT. I'll have to look at them too.

Also thank you for the input on the JP I liked their idea with a capture system ,one less point of failure, and while I don't particularly care about the "SRPOING" it disappearing would be a plus.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7XiLjVDs38&t=362s
I heard of it through Gun Jesus and it definitely got me interested in the buffer system.

As for the tube itself what would an aftermarket tube have above any other tube? Better friction coefficients?

My lightweight is a WWSD style except with a colt lower. For obvious reasons the polymer is impossible but also I like super short length of pulls and the idea of a plastic AR is like ketchup on spagetti. The rifle is 5.5lbs soaking wet and is all nimbly bimbly. IMG_6728.JPG

LaRue Tactical. 1/2 moa
larue has gone out the window since he effed over his wife an ran out his good machinists.

+1 on white oak. they are amaze balls for the money.

DD does make a decent product, but their fanboi's keep the mall ninjas going

I'm becoming inspired to build up mine. I have so far, two stripped lowers + LPK, two stripped uppers and two mags. I had in mind building one as a scoped tack driver and the other as... some sort of fun gun. Undecided.

I think I need BCGs, upper parts kits, barrels and furniture but the several times I've gone to price parts the incredible diversity in prices, quality and styles flummoxes me and I shelve it for a later day.

My lightweight is a WWSD style except with a colt lower. For obvious reasons the polymer is impossible but also I like super short length of pulls and the idea of a plastic AR is like ketchup on spagetti. The rifle is 5.5lbs soaking wet and is all nimbly bimbly.

Nice! I see someone has the Faxxon fee float tube. I like the idea of the WWSD rifle and watching the series has definitely gave me more insight on building/the guts of an AR. But I'm with you on the plastic lower, it'd feel wrong. But they have me sold on the buffer system and the charging handle the easier it is to take apart and clean the more I'm for it.

Back
Top Bottom