• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

help me make a $1000 decision

Op, another option is to find yourself a used 1911, like someone mentioned in the classifieds, and then buy, or build an AR lower. If you do it that way, you can essentially have both, and have the 1911 to play with at the range while you wait for the right upper to come along for sale. Another nice feature of the AR is that you don't necessarily need a full sized "gun safe" right away, because you can separate the lower, and toss it into your regular small safe, as the lower "is the firearm".[wink]

go into the gun store, flip a coin.

If you know you will be able to shoot the rifle out doors often.......AR first
For me I can get to the 24/7 indoor range alot more good for pistol...

If you already own pistols pass on the 1911 get the ar sell guns that have no use or love for and buy the 1911.

You can easily build yourself an AR or a 1911 (though it takes much more skill to build a reliable 1911).

I acquired my 1911 before I got my Sig 556, only because when I first got into firearms I was more into handguns than rifles. However, now that I've been in the game for a while I find myself wanting more and more rifles!

An AR (or in my case a Sig 556) is simply more flexible. You can leave just iron sites on it and be good from close combat out to 300 yards or so. Or put a red dot or 1x4 scope on it and be good out to 600 yards. If STHF or the zombies attack an AR or similar carbine will be your go-to gun, not the 1911.

This is the wrong place to ask.

Everyone on this forum loves AR's, but the majority prefer Glocks over 1911's. The voters here will pick the AR almost every time.

I pick the 1911 as you can shoot it at the range AND carry it if you want. Does double duty as compared to the AR.

I'd probably buy the AR first then a 1911 later or if you can find a decent deal on a 1911 buy that and buy an AR lower and build it up over time. That way you kill two birds with one stone sort of.

Get the AR first and the 1911 later. With the AR you can have a 223,a 22lr,50 Beowolf. actualy there is a whole miriad of uppers in various calibers that you can put on your lower. And as the others have said building a lower is not that tough.

Get an AR under $800 and donate the remaining to Red Cross Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami.

Back
Top Bottom