• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

help me make a $1000 decision

So i have been saving for a while for a AR for two main reasons. One is I just want one, and two is possibly to purchase the Beowulf upper later on and turn 1 gun into 2. But recently I have been really liking the 1911. I don't know what it is about it. A year ago i would have never even cared to hold one, now whenever I visit a gun store there all I look at. Some people I have talked to had learned towards the AR in case they ban evil black guns forever. I cant justify the 1911 for a carry weapon because IMO its to big for my taste. It would be purely a recreational gun, much like the AR. So my fellow NESers, what would you do?

If I had to choose, I'd choose the AR over the 1911...My question though is why do you think it's too big to carry? There are more sizes than just the full gov't size 1911...There are great, smaller carry 1911s out there like the Kimber Pro Carry, etc.

So i have been saving for a while for a AR for two main reasons. One is I just want one, and two is possibly to purchase the Beowulf upper later on and turn 1 gun into 2. But recently I have been really liking the 1911. I don't know what it is about it. A year ago i would have never even cared to hold one, now whenever I visit a gun store there all I look at. Some people I have talked to had learned towards the AR in case they ban evil black guns forever. I cant justify the 1911 for a carry weapon because IMO its to big for my taste. It would be purely a recreational gun, much like the AR. So my fellow NESers, what would you do?

Get the AR first.
You know that you'll eventually own a 1911 and they aren't going anywhere.

Purchase a Beowolf upper for it? Dude just get a lower too.

If I had to choose, I'd choose the AR over the 1911...My question though is why do you think it's too big to carry? There are more sizes than just the full gov't size 1911...There are great, smaller carry 1911s out there like the Kimber Pro Carry, etc.

the full sized .45 version is the only one that interests me i have plenty of compacts. I like the 1911 like I like a huge pair of boobs, its beautiful and i wanna play with em

I decided to get most of the handguns (at least the must haves) I wanted purchased before I move over to long guns. lately, however, I have been watching the legal side of things and I am the point in time where I think I need to add a AR or two "just in case" the current administration somehow does an end-around with some half-ass AWB. They say possession is 9/10th's the law... Tough call on your part but a 1911 in .45acp is a must have for handgun users/collectors (unless you have lady size hands of course). I am sure you will enjoy either one so you can't really make the wrong choice :)

I would go for the 1911 first, especially a Colt or Springfield if you can find one.....judging on your $1000 limit, shouldn't be a problem. They always hold their value!
As for the AR, you could always gradually build one easy and cheap enough. Don't worry, you WILL end up with both eventually! most likely multiple of each[smile]

Good luck with your decision.

The AR was one of my first purchases and it should be yours too.

The last thing you want to be missing is a good rifle when the Zombies come knocking... You will never start to collect 30round pre-ban mags if you don't have an AR to put them in :)

AR first. I have both and in fact bought the 1911 first. I shoot the AR far more often. I bought the Colt just to have one.

If you dont mind used guns there is a beautiful Sig 1911 stainless target model for 700 in the classifieds.
You would have 300 left over for the AR buy later.

Both are outstanding firearms, so you tell us - which one will you actually get more use from?

Do you have access to a long outdoor range, or are you mostly stuck inside at 25 yards? A) AR, B) 1911

Do you reload, or do you plan to? I haven't restocked in a while, but IIRC, .223 is cheaper to reload than .45ACP.

Do you compete, or plan on competing? High power = AR, action shooting = 1911.

Do you like bells & whistles & accessories? Yes = AR.

Personally, I enjoy shooting my AR more, and I think you can get more bang for your buck with an AR. On the other hand, shooting an AR indoors is lame, and if you want to do action shooting, you're going to want a pistol.

So you tell us - what's it going to be?

I carry a fullsize 1911, and I'm not a big guy. It is a matter of getting a top notch holster and dressing around it.

Both are outstanding firearms, so you tell us - which one will you actually get more use from?

Do you have access to a long outdoor range, or are you mostly stuck inside at 25 yards? A) AR, B) 1911

Do you reload, or do you plan to? I haven't restocked in a while, but IIRC, .223 is cheaper to reload than .45ACP.

Do you compete, or plan on competing? High power = AR, action shooting = 1911.

Do you like bells & whistles & accessories? Yes = AR.

Personally, I enjoy shooting my AR more, and I think you can get more bang for your buck with an AR. On the other hand, shooting an AR indoors is lame, and if you want to do action shooting, you're going to want a pistol.

So you tell us - what's it going to be?

hard to say
I typically shoot indoors at AFS in North Attleboro but sometimes go to the R&G in my home town
I don't currently reload but have been looking to get into it. (especially if i get the Beowulf upper)
don't compete but once again its something i have been looking to get into but don't know if it would be pistol or riffle
bells and whistles are nice but past a nice scope and a bi-pod i wouldn't put anything else on an AR or any riffle

So I dont know what to tell you lol probably leaning towards the AR because of multiple uses and I don't see the 1911 going anywhere anytime soon

I carry a fullsize 1911, and I'm not a big guy. It is a matter of getting a top notch holster and dressing around it.

other than size one of the reasons i lean away from carrying a full size 1911 is that if I do actually have to use it and the cops take it as evidence i'd rather lose a less expensive gun than a $1000 1911

hard to say
I typically shoot indoors at AFS in North Attleboro but sometimes go to the R&G in my home town
I don't currently reload but have been looking to get into it. (especially if i get the Beowulf upper)
don't compete but once again its something i have been looking to get into but don't know if it would be pistol or riffle
bells and whistles are nice but past a nice scope and a bi-pod i wouldn't put anything else on an AR or any riffle

So I dont know what to tell you lol probably leaning towards the AR because of multiple uses and I don't see the 1911 going anywhere anytime soon

Just an opinion, but I suspect most will agree - an AR-15, especially with a scope and bipod, is pretty useless indoors. It's like buying a Ferrari and using it to commute in rush hour traffic (okay, perhaps not that extreme, but you get the idea). Take >$200 off the top of that $1000 and get a membership to a club with a decent rifle range.

other than size one of the reasons i lean away from carrying a full size 1911 is that if I do actually have to use it and the cops take it as evidence i'd rather lose a less expensive gun than a $1000 1911
Sorry, but I think that logic just doesn't make sense in MA. If I actually have to use it, the last thing on my mind will be that one gun. The things that will be on my mind will be:

1) are they going to revoke my LTC and seize all of my guns, ammunition, and magazines? That's worth far more than $1000.
2) are they going to charge me with murder, and if so how can I scrape together $100,000 to hire Kevin Reddington?

Just an opinion, but I suspect most will agree - an AR-15, especially with a scope and bipod, is pretty useless indoors. It's like buying a Ferrari and using it to commute in rush hour traffic (okay, perhaps not that extreme, but you get the idea). Take >$200 off the top of that $1000 and get a membership to a club with a decent rifle range.

Like I said I go to a R&G club (where I am a member) and they have a nice long distance range.

What does the rest of your collection look like? You say that you have some pistols already but not a 1911, do you have any semi rifles? You can also try to go the slow acquisition route and end up with both at the same time. Otherwise, my vote would be AR.

What does the rest of your collection look like? You say that you have some pistols already but not a 1911, do you have any semi rifles? You can also try to go the slow acquisition route and end up with both at the same time. Otherwise, my vote would be AR.

A wise man told me once never to divulge to much about your arsenal. but all my riffles are semi's so far, I'd like a bolt action Remington 700 in 308 eventually.

The AR was one of my first purchases and it should be yours too.

The last thing you want to be missing is a good rifle when the Zombies come knocking... You will never start to collect 30round pre-ban mags if you don't have an AR to put them in :)

That's funny you say that because I don't have an AR yet, but I have a crapload of 30rd pre-bans already! I figure that since they are of no use without an AR, it will move into building one that much sooner as inspiration.[wink]

Sorry, but I think that logic just doesn't make sense in MA. If I actually have to use it, the last thing on my mind will be that one gun. The things that will be on my mind will be:

1) are they going to revoke my LTC and seize all of my guns, ammunition, and magazines? That's worth far more than $1000.
2) are they going to charge me with murder, and if so how can I scrape together $100,000 to hire Kevin Reddington?

I totally agree, and applying the op's logic here, he would lose his AR most likely anyway, once they start confiscating guns.

Back
Top Bottom