Help me I’m stooopid.

murf4321

NES Member
Just shot new AR I recently assembled. All the spent casings look like this. Wtf is with the neck? Every case.

3DC0837C-9599-4B64-8B5A-BDE1CB41A72C.jpeg

I do reload, that’s why I was annoyed. Thinking about all the decapping pins I’m going to break on these god damn cases.

Not that it matters for plinking, but those cases are a bit nasty looking. Reloads in that pic? Looks like die marks on the cases, that's why I ask. Maybe your load is on the hot side? I get that sometimes from some of my AR's but that's rare and I never see it in target loads.

Case necks being dented by contact with deflector upon ejection. I've seen some discussion on other forums about adding an aftermarket deflector pad to the standard deflector (changes the impact point and softens impact), and/or modification of the extractor spring. Not sure I'd mess with the spring unless/until I tried addressing the issue with changes to loads or simple add-on deflector pad...

Not that it matters for plinking, but those cases are a bit nasty looking. Reloads in that pic? Looks like die marks on the cases, that's why I ask. Maybe your load is on the hot side? I get that sometimes from some of my AR's but that's rare and I never see it in target loads.

Negative. Federal bulk.

I purposely use factory ammo when I first shoot a new AR to eliminate my skinflint moron reloading quotient.

Case necks being dented by contact with deflector upon ejection. I've seen some discussion on other forums about adding an aftermarket deflector pad to the standard deflector (changes the impact point and softens impact), and/or modification of the extractor spring. Not sure I'd mess with the spring unless/until I tried addressing the issue with changes to loads or simple add-on deflector pad...

Interesting. I’ll have to look into this.

I do reload, that’s why I was annoyed. Thinking about all the decapping pins I’m going to break on these god damn cases.
Decapping pins shouldn't touch the case neck. IF you're really concerned, simply remove the pin from that die the first run through (of all the brass) to get the neck right. Reinstall and run through to remove the primer and continue on.

Decapping pins shouldn't touch the case neck. IF you're really concerned, simply remove the pin from that die the first run through (of all the brass) to get the neck right. Reinstall and run through to remove the primer and continue on.
Have you seen me decap casings after 15 beers while watching football in my garage?

I’m speaking from experience on this one.

Last edited:
Have you seen me decap casings after 15 beers while watching football in my garage?

I’m speaking from experience on this one.
Man needs to know his limitations... If you're not able to handle the beers and keep the pin within the case mouth (even when buggered up) then you either need to cut the session short, or reduce the beers:hour ratio.

Or get a hand depriming tool and use that instead.

the mechanics are simple - the case was smacked hard enough to bent it.
what was the load? did you chrono it? if it is not doing something like 3600fps - then how did the gun sound? did you hit the buffer all the way? is it a rifle or carbine tube?
like was said before - if there is no way to adjust gas, you can adjust buffer weight (1st), a spring (2nd) or try to play with an ejector, so it would fly out differently.

but, as you reload, i bet it will fly far far away, that you also may not want, as you will have then to walk after it, and people on benches next to you will definitely not want neither. :)

Man needs to know his limitations... If you're not able to handle the beers and keep the pin within the case mouth (even when buggered up) then you either need to cut the session short, or reduce the beers:hour ratio.

Or get a hand depriming tool and use that instead.
Hand depriming tool? What sorcery do you speak of?

the mechanics are simple - the case was smacked hard enough to bent it.
what was the load? did you chrono it? if it is not doing something like 3600fps - then how did the gun sound? did you hit the buffer all the way? is it a rifle or carbine tube?
like was said before - if there is no way to adjust gas, you can adjust buffer weight (1st), a spring (2nd) or try to play with an ejector, so it would fly out differently.

but, as you reload, i bet it will fly far far away, that you also may not want, as you will have then to walk after it, and people on benches next to you will definitely not want neither. :)
None of that.

It was federal bulk 55gr crap.

Carbine tube.

Guess I’ll dick around with the buffer or maybe toss the upper on a rifle length tube equipped lower & see what that yields.

I forgot to ask if you are using a silencer, a silencer will increase the bolt speed dramatically resulting in damaged cases.

If you’re not running a silencer then like others have said, go up a buffer weight or two. I wouldn’t do the spring yet. If you are running a silencer I’d add an AGB.

Hand depriming tool? What sorcery do you speak of?
This

I've used one for both rifle (5.56/.223 and some 308/7.62x51) and pistol cases (9mm and 45ACP) so far. You have to make sure to line it up properly before going to town on the case. But it works pretty well. I would typically run through cases while I'm either watching something, reading, or just looking to fill up time. Some cases refused to cooperate, but those few were easy to toss out. I ran a bunch of 9mm through that and then wet tumbled with solid results.

I forgot to ask if you are using a silencer, a silencer will increase the bolt speed dramatically resulting in damaged cases.

If you’re not running a silencer then like others have said, go up a buffer weight or two. I wouldn’t do the spring yet. If you are running a silencer I’d add an AGB.

Silencer? Lol.

No, I’m deep into pegging by Maura Healey.

This

I've used one for both rifle (5.56/.223 and some 308/7.62x51) and pistol cases (9mm and 45ACP) so far. You have to make sure to line it up properly before going to town on the case. But it works pretty well. I would typically run through cases while I'm either watching something, reading, or just looking to fill up time. Some cases refused to cooperate, but those few were easy to toss out. I ran a bunch of 9mm through that and then wet tumbled with solid results.

Oh my. Sir, you have changed my world forever.

None of that.
It was federal bulk 55gr crap.
Carbine tube.
Guess I’ll dick around with the buffer or maybe toss the upper on a rifle length tube equipped lower & see what that yields.
odd stuff. it should not have done that...
you can try this stuff:

and potentially play with reduction of spring coils on it, if needed. this, h3 is 5.9oz, h2 is 4.9oz, H is 3.8oz.
of what happens it seems like may be you need H3 there, dunno. H2 would be probably more reasonable in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom