• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me I’m stooopid.

when you order your headlight fluid check your owners manual first to see if you need DOT3, DOT4, DOT5, or DOT5.1

don't mix one with the other or it screws up the Gonkulator balance

Case necks being dented by contact with deflector upon ejection. I've seen some discussion on other forums about adding an aftermarket deflector pad to the standard deflector (changes the impact point and softens impact), and/or modification of the extractor spring. Not sure I'd mess with the spring unless/until I tried addressing the issue with changes to loads or simple add-on deflector pad...
Would a heavier buffer help ease the ejection?

Doesn’t seem to be power issue. Mouse, keyboard, monitors all dead. Has to be motherboard?
Pull all out from the board except of cpu. Memory, video card, all out. Motherboard should have a speaker doing beeps, see if that happens. See if cpu cooler starts to spin or not. If power brick had alternative rails you can reconnect mobo power connector - unlikely- try that too. Just for fun, disconnect and reconnect all power.

This thread has been a whirlwind. I don’t know if I can’t take it.

Good news is I already poured my first drink. Cat dad!

7812AB07-0C25-4C8B-9A0B-DF522AEC8FAB.jpeg

Last edited:
Would a heavier buffer help ease the ejection?
Sure. As others have contributed, anything that will slow/weaken the ejection will likely lessen the impact of the case necks against the deflector. Beside velocity of impact, the angle of impact can also affect the case deformation observed. The challenge with all suggested solutions (changing buffer, buffer spring, ejector spring, ejector washer, load strength, suppressed/non, gas blocks, etc, is that they will likely have other effects on function. A "fix" that eliminates deformation of the ejected case necks may also lead to unreliable cycling. Several other members have suggested simple fix options to try, and any of them that can be easily reversed are probably the ones to try first. Because of associated and unintended function changes, making "destructive" modifications (like cutting coils from ejector or buffer springs) should be last resorts. So, to your question specifically, if OP has a heavier buffer handy, trying it to see if it fixes the case damage issue without screwing up reliability fits right in.

Last edited:
Ok…. Do I go Ryzen or Intel? Always been Intel, but I’ve heard AMD been kicking their dicks in.

No streaming.

Definitely the motherboard my man. Isolating the component(s) on the mob that failed is not easy.
Yup. Has to be mboard.

I’m not trouble shooting shit. Already building a new PC online.

I’ve been a PC snob ever since my Gateway pentium 90 & DOS. I throw money at PC problems. New PC will be here within a week.

So, to recap, this thread has now left me with:
1) $40 decapping gun
2) muffler bearings
3) a new gaming PC

Thanks guys.

Ok…. Do I go Ryzen or Intel? Always been Intel, but I’ve heard AMD been kicking their dicks in.

No streaming.
difficult to say, it depends upon the budget and intended case. my workstation is for VMs, video, a lot of multithreading tasks - so i am solid in the AMD camp.
last build i type this on was done long ago now and it is still kicking ass - with watercooled overclocked to the max Ryzen 9 3900X. 12 cores, 24 threads. 64gb of RAM. RX5700xt.
it still runs anything i want fine, games wise, on the 3440x1440 monitor. not greatest speed frames wise, but still adequate.

modern last AMDs that are only coming out should be insane in 5nm. just put it on the watercooler right away, do not mess with any air stuff. i use a corsair iCue, forgot now which model.

Intel on other side, if for gaming alone and single thread performance is saying they gonna break 6ghz soon which is also insane. so it all gets down to how much you want to spend.

my take on that is AMD, in midline components the performance per $ ratio AMD delivers is unbeatable. they will roll out new GPUs also in 4th quarter, i think.

the PC you have should have some warranty i would think, so, just to throw it all away may be premature. try to sort out what went off. keep stripping it and check if it may come back to life.

RAM modules can get shorted and it would also prevent a boot completely. dead video will not boot. try to get it to the point of CPU fan coming alive, and stopping, if that is possible.
if not and it is dead - may be that mobo rail on the power brick burned out. modern mobos are pretty resilient, to get it fried by itself is unusual, if nothing was spilled on it.

No streaming.
I will never buy AMD because I'm still pissed off about my 2nd gen Athlon experience and them being too f****** cheap to produce a motherboard chipset to accompany it. All we had was VIA (KT133A) and it was junk. ( these chipsets were horrible you couldn't run Nvidia gpus on them the machine would crash...m )

Obviously the stuff is way better now and is probably better than Intel most of the time in terms of raw on paper performance. I still can't forgive them, though. 🤣 honestly in the grand scheme of things it really isn't going to make that much of a difference even for gaming a CPU made 10 years ago is enough. People jerk off too much about CPUs who will never even really ever stress their CPU in a serious way.

The only kind of thing this makes any real difference on is as if you actually have some bleeding edge application where it results in an actual difference in time and you're being paid for it. Otherwise, 4 cores or more with i5, i7, Ryzen, whatever it doesn't really matter that much as long as the rest of your components aren't junk. Food For Thought I just semi- retired a i7 gaming box that was built in 2011... the CPU was not the limiting factor of the machine it needed a GPU upgrade and it wasn't rational to put a $1,200 GPU in an old computer.

I will never buy AMD because I'm still pissed off about my 2nd gen Athlon experience and them being too f****** cheap to produce a motherboard chipset to accompany it. All we had was VIA (KT133A) and it was junk. ( these chipsets were horrible you couldn't run Nvidia gpus on them the machine would crash...m )

Obviously the stuff is way better now and is probably better than Intel most of the time in terms of raw on paper performance. I still can't forgive them, though. 🤣 honestly in the grand scheme of things it really isn't going to make that much of a difference even for gaming a CPU made 10 years ago is enough. People jerk off too much about CPUs who will never even really ever stress their CPU in a serious way.

The only kind of thing this makes any real difference on is as if you actually have some bleeding edge application where it results in an actual difference in time and you're being paid for it. Otherwise, 4 cores or more with i5, i7, Ryzen, whatever it doesn't really matter that much as long as the rest of your components aren't junk. Food For Thought I just semi- retired a i7 gaming box that was built in 2011... the CPU was not the limiting factor of the machine it needed a GPU upgrade and it wasn't rational to put a $1,200 GPU in an old computer.
No bleeding edge here. Just arguing with 14 year old pubestaches in World of tanks.

I do nothing that is remotely graphic intensive, yet I’m still going to buy a 3090.

If I went with AMD for CPU I’d feel obligated to buy their GPU as well, & I know absolutely nothing about their cards

But you sealed the deal. Intel it is. Commence dick punch mode

No bleeding edge here. Just arguing with 14 year old pubestaches in World of tanks.

I do nothing that is remotely graphic intensive, yet I’m still going to buy a 3090.

If I went with AMD for CPU I’d feel obligated to buy their GPU as well, & I know absolutely nothing about their cards

But you sealed the deal. Intel it is. Commence dick punch mode
I don't know what the amd's cost but my Intel 12700k or whatever the f*** it was was like under 440 bucks at Micro Center honestly they will have the best CPU prices whatever you choose. I have an old rule where basically I will spend up to $465 on a CPU anything more expensive than that is unlikely to deliver better value. I think nowadays that CPU is going like 400 ish. Maybe better values in play.

When I put my box together recently I just went 3080 TI but I was on the pre-edge of the market collapse. The 3090 always was sort of odd to me not something I was going to touch because i chose not to get into the business of trying to get big frames on 4K games.... i settled at 1440p, with a 32in gigabyte monitor. A lot easier to read text at Native on 1440p... then again these days I have no idea what they're giving away 3090s for after the crypto mining dweebs got hosed .... 🤣

What is a gaming PC

I have 2 work laptops, and a work provided tower in the office.

When I'm home or not working, I'm off the PC

@murf4321 if you're going 3080 or 3090, you may want to put it a big power supply in your rig because there's reported issues with transient power spikes with these cards. Like events that can last only a few milliseconds but end up maxing out the PSU or whatever.... I put a 1200w corsair in mine I figured it was cheap insurance... also I only build gaming boxes once or so a decade so I didn't care about setting some cash on fire... 🤣

I don't know what the amd's cost but my Intel 12700k or whatever the f*** it was was like under 440 bucks at Micro Center honestly they will have the best CPU prices whatever you choose. I have an old rule where basically I will spend up to $465 on a CPU anything more expensive than that is unlikely to deliver better value. I think nowadays that CPU is going like 400 ish. Maybe better values in play.

When I put my box together recently I just went 3080 TI but I was on the pre-edge of the market collapse. The 3090 always was sort of odd to me not something I was going to touch because i chose not to get into the business of trying to get big frames on 4K games.... i settled at 1440p, with a 32in gigabyte monitor. A lot easier to read text at Native on 1440p... then again these days I have no idea what they're giving away 3090s for after the crypto mining dweebs got hosed .... 🤣
See, the difference here is that you have the skill to assemble this stuff yourself. I’m just going back to the same online seller for my last PC and will throw my credit card at my screen. Full face melt cost but this is the price I pay for mental retardation. Someone has to stimulate the economy.

@murf4321 if you're going 3080 or 3090, you may want to put it a big power supply in your rig because there's reported issues with transient power spikes with these cards. Like events that can last only a few milliseconds but end up maxing out the PSU or whatever.... I put a 1200w corsair in mine I figured it was cheap insurance... also I only build gaming boxes once or so a decade so I didn't care about setting some cash on fire... 🤣
Yup. It already forced me to upgrade to 850 watts for the 3090.

Melting computers? Sounds spicy, I’m in. Live dangerously.

What is a gaming PC

I have 2 work laptops, and a work provided tower in the office.

When I'm home or not working, I'm off the PC

If you don't play games there's no reason to own one. I don't even play that many titles most of them are garbage but when I do play I want it to run good....... its gotta run a bunch of old stuff as well as insane truck game (snowrunner) Deus Ex, Cp2077 a few others. Hitman series.

See, the difference here is that you have the skill to assemble this stuff yourself. I’m just going back to the same online seller for my last PC and will throw my credit card at my screen. Full face melt cost but this is the price I pay for mental retardation. Someone has to stimulate the economy.
You should learn how to do it yourself it's actually really easy they made it so even boneheads can do it these days back when I started doing this s*** you had to actually know what you were doing nowadays it's all just f****** modular and anyone who is in a total bird brain can probably do it in 4 hours or less.... or at a bare minimum you should know how much you're going to get screwed. I think in the old days it was about 600 bucks in overhead to have somebody else do it.

Like I use prefab office stuff Dells or whatever for all my customers (because of servicing) but for my own gaming box that's the one machine I still build. Mainly because I hate a lot of this f**** stuff that's worked itself into the machines and I don't want a box with a window and f****** lights and all that other stupid s***.... 🤣 I will confess two machines ago I actually did have a computer with a light inside it and then the light burned out I'm like "well that's f****** gay I'm never doing that again" 🤣

20220917_140930.jpg

If you don't play games there's no reason to own one. I don't even play that many titles most of them are garbage but when I do play I want it to run good....... its gotta run a bunch of old stuff as well as insane truck game (snowrunner) Deus Ex, Cp2077 a few others. Hitman series.

You should learn how to do it yourself it's actually really easy they made it so even boneheads can do it these days back when I started doing this s*** you had to actually know what you were doing nowadays it's all just f****** modular and anyone who is in a total bird brain can probably do it in 4 hours or less.... or at a bare minimum you should know how much you're going to get screwed. I think in the old days it was about 600 bucks in overhead to have somebody else do it.

Like I use prefab office stuff Dells or whatever for all my customers (because of servicing) but for my own gaming box that's the one machine I still build. Mainly because I hate a lot of this f**** stuff that's worked itself into the machines and I don't want a box with a window and f****** lights and all that other stupid s***.... 🤣 I will confess two machines ago I actually did have a computer with a light inside it and then the light burned out I'm like "well that's f****** gay I'm never doing that again" 🤣

View attachment 662946
I'd rather buy ammo, precious metals, gas for the chainsaw, more chickens, or other useful items

still pissed off about my 2nd gen Athlon experience
that`s a looong time to remain pissed. :)

cpu does not matter these days that much. AMD is still better at this moment.
and, with crypto mining dead, i think we will see just amazing deals on GPUs by x-mass, as no one will be buying them anymore.

View attachment 662946
🤣

I’m laughing because I online built this full skinflint rig. Gonna go see how far I can ram my fist into my own ass, brb.

What an a**h*** I am.

Attachments

• C2C14A46-D513-4A93-98EC-88A0AD4F328D.jpeg
    C2C14A46-D513-4A93-98EC-88A0AD4F328D.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 8
it is still a bad time to buy it now, but, if you cannot wait - your money. just do not hate yourself much to see it dropping down $300 or more in next quarter.
I have no option here.

I use my home PC for work too because I cannot stand working on laptops. So I need a home PC.

Back
Top Bottom