Help me find new grips for my 1911.

fencer

NES Member
Mr. Google has let me down. I just picked up a new Colt Competition and am not sure I am crazy about the grips. I would actually like to find the same grips but in a black cherry or similar. I have seen the grips I want scroll by on a couple of websites, but they don't show them for sale. [angry]
The thumb groove is a must. Factory grips are VZ- G10, but I am not sure how I feel about the blue color.

So I will ask the NES brain trust. I have looked at hundreds but just not finding the right ones.

Colt-Competition-Pistol-Review-Lead-696x472.jpg

colt-competition-1911-F.jpg

Mr. Google has let me down. I just picked up a new Colt Competition and am not sure I am crazy about the grips. I would actually like to find the same grips but in a black cherry or similar. I have seen the grips I want scroll by on a couple of websites, but they don't show them for sale. [angry]
The thumb groove is a must. Factory grips are VZ- G10, but I am not sure how I feel about the blue color.

So I will ask the NES brain trust. I have looked at hundreds but just not finding the right ones.

Colt-Competition-Pistol-Review-Lead-696x472.jpg

colt-competition-1911-F.jpg
I'll be honest, I love the blue. Now I'm looking at blue grips.....

Sent from Ron's tablet of DOOM.

I'll be honest, I love the blue. Now I'm looking at blue grips.....

That is what my son said. He saw me looking at grips on my laptop and said " You are not seriously going to swap out those factory grips are you?"

It may be sacrilege, but I am seriously thinking about swapping out the front sight for something that is more carry friendly, and adding this to my winter carry rotation. This thing is as smooth as butter and it naturally fits my hand so well that I shoot it effortlessly and accurately. Yeah, it is big, but I carry big guns all the time and have a sweet shoulder rig for 1911's. Sure, it's going to get some holster wear, but it's not like it is a $5000 Wilson Combat. I can always have it refinished by a pro.

I hate the idea of this thing becoming a safe queen. I have plenty of those. And I know it was made for competition shooting, but at the end of the day it is really a mid level 1911. I just shoot it well.

I am going to do some reliability testing today with a hodge podge of ammo I have acquired and see how it does. It has had a reliability service and new extractor installed, and so far has been flawless. I was originally concerned that the dual recoil spring would effect reliability, but it has not been the case so far.
Life is to short to leave the gun that shoots cloverleafs at 30' sitting at home.

Definitely consider LOK grips. The owner Jayson is great to work with. I have decent sized hands and prefer thicker 1911 grips so I had him make me some of his blue FAT checkered grips for my Dan Wesson Pointman 9. I forget the exact thickness but they're thicker than standard 1911 grips. Also had him make the extreme thumb relief.

He can do just about anything you want. If you want logos or other custom wording on the grips, he can do it.
4aac88a7296355889d97e3e592499359.png

I had Esmeralda make the grips for my Sig GSR in the clan tartan with coat of arms in cocobolo. This was the first tartan she did.

6cezu8Q.jpg

Awesome. Love the coco-bola with Marine Corps logo. Thanks

If you are looking into the EGA seriously look at RMH. His logo detail and relief is superb. I have seen a few Esmerelda grips and really like the them.

http://rmhknives.com/pages/grips.htm

About 9 clicks to the right in the gallery. OR:

EGA officers RMH.jpg

He can do almost any logo and give it the relief it needs.

Purpleheart RMH.jpg

I just picked up a new Colt Competition and am not sure I am crazy about the grips. I would actually like to find the same grips but in a black cherry or similar.

Go over to VZ Grips and you can order the identical G10 grip in Black Cherry, with or without the thumb notch, and with or without the Colt logo. Right here.

That was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I don't know why I couldn't find them. I am thinking I am going to stick with the Colt logo and put the EGA grips on another 1911.
I have a few.

f26df763-f8cf-4d54-af80-22299762cbb7.png

Holy crap, I didn’t think I needed new grips until I saw that site! Wow!

I know right. Now I am thinking that I want the family crest on the "heirloom" firearms. How cool is it going to be 100 years from now, when your son hands your grandson or great grandson( or daughter ) a handgun that that was designed two centuries prior and carries your family crest. Because 100 years from now, the 1911 will still be relevant. At least until the fricken lasers come along. I can also see me having a rifle stock engraved with the crest.

I never imagined that a request for some info on grips would open up so many possibilities. I am going to have to buy a few more guns...

Thank you to all for the great suggestions. Keep em coming.

I am going to do some reliability testing today with a hodge podge of ammo I have acquired and see how it does. It has had a reliability service and new extractor installed, and so far has been flawless. I was originally concerned that the dual recoil spring would effect reliability, but it has not been the case so far.
Life is to short to leave the gun that shoots cloverleafs at 30' sitting at home.

Follow up. So I took my son out to the range today and we took the new Colt a few other cool handguns. It was awesome. He is 16 now and the kid is a real shooter. I gotta get to the range with him more often. He shoots hand guns better than most of the Marines I served with and most of the adults I know.

This was reliability testing, not accuracy, so we went to the combat plinking range. Steel targets starting at 35' or so. What a blast. The Colt ate everything we fed it and ran with zero issues. I am no bulls eye shooter but shooting is a lot more fun when you here a ding every time you pull the trigger and see the steel swing.
My club has two dueling trees on the plinking range. It is so cool shooting with your son and him matching you shot for shot. It's also pretty cool knowing that someday the Colt will be his.

Back
Top Bottom