Help me decide!

walter62

NES Member
So my current experience is pretty much all various 9mm pistols or 44Mag pistol and rifle. I reload both 9 & 44M.

I'm trying to decide 'what next'.

I'm completely undecided if should get something like the Ruger PC Carbine (9mm) or some variation (SBR, bullpup, carbine, etc)
like Ruger, KrissVector, 'Other', MP5 clones, etc which is of course more $$. I'd prefer to keep it to some pistol caliber instead of jumping to
223 or so. This is for home & range, NO real world hunting of 4legged critters ;) )

Please compare, contrast, discuss choices

If you're keeping to 9 and 44, and have the lever gun, the obvious answers are either an AR9 or a Ruger PCC. Particularly if you have a pistol with magazine commonality (e.g., Glock 19). You can SBR it later by just getting a new upper out barrel assembly.

I love space gats, but the Kriss is heavy and ugly and stupid except as a suppressed auto SBR. In that category, the Beretta Cx4 looks awesome, but only if you have a compatible pistol (e.g., 92)

Similarly, the MP5 and clones ooze cool, but the sights are dumb. And they're cooler with short barrels, long magazines, and cans. And you're already questioning price, so do you really want to get into $275 magazines and the NFA?

Or, get a DEagle in 44, or really whatever you want because our opinions don't matter.

.357 Magnum. Super flexible - can shoot anything from mousefart .38 Specials to fire-breathing .357 loads. You can get those calibers in derringers, snubbies, 8-shot .357 wheelguns, semi-autos, and lever guns.

I've got at least three wheelguns in .357, will be getting another, and a .357 lever gun. Tons of fun and they're good self-defense guns, too.

The only two you mentioned that I have experience with is the PC Carbine and the Kriss. I didn't end up liking the Kriss (10mm) but the PC Carbine (9mm) I really do like. It's simple, accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. I have the take-down chassis model (are they all take-downs?) with a C-Moore railway on it. One thing I will say for both is they don't like older Glock magazines, I had a lot of trouble with U notch's in the Kriss and I have trouble with square notch's in the Ruger.

A good lever gun is always a good thing to have....or several.

So my current experience is pretty much all various 9mm pistols or 44Mag pistol and rifle. I reload both 9 & 44M.

I'm completely undecided if should get something like the Ruger PC Carbine (9mm) or some variation (SBR, bullpup, carbine, etc)
like Ruger, KrissVector, 'Other', MP5 clones, etc which is of course more $$. I'd prefer to keep it to some pistol caliber instead of jumping to
223 or so. This is for home & range, NO real world hunting of 4legged critters ;) )

I have a Ruger p.c. carbine.
Honestly it just plain-jane utilitarian. Nothing wrong with it, it works as advertised, its a bigger version of a 10/22.
If I had to get another semi auto p.c.c., I'll get an upper for an a.r., it just fits me better and theres more options. Maybe something with a 10" or 12" barrel

So, for whats next............
You need one of these
And a wheelgun or 5 of whatever flavor to go with it. I like big fatty bommbalatti's so its 180's for me out of the rifle. There is data out there for 125's. I haven't tried .38 out of it, I like to fill the chamber.
Theres just something about a color case hardened octagonal barreled levergun that says "shoot me a lot"
If there was one out there in 10mm I'd snatch that up too.

I'm leaning towards one of these because I load .45 too. I think I have more .45's than anything else.
If I had to go modern, it'd just be an upper. Nothing wrong with a tacti-clone, they just don't work for me.

Good luck in your pursuit and don't be afraid to break the bank.

If you are going ro get a PCC, I suggest you build you own. Show up to the Copicut Steel Challenge (there might be one more at the end of December) and talk to the guys, there are some very, very nice 9mm PCC builds. Smooth AF. You will hate every other 9mm PCC after that. Trust me.

There is one we shot loads loaded at minimum or a little below minimum and it has no issues.

If you stay with handguns or a lever action, any of these is fun and can be found in handguns, lever actions or safari rifles.

460 SW
45/70
45/90
50AE
450 Marlin
500 SW
454 Casull
480 ruger
475 Linebaugh
500 JRH
500 Linebaugh

Anything else is pretty lame.

Last edited:
Definitely something in 357 mag. Wheel gun and/or lever gun. Here’s my 357 combo. Though it’s an old photo with my old Dan Wesson frame (before the barrel split) and have since upgraded to a Vortex venom red dot 69B211EC-8751-4271-8F1F-D009F3C0B874.jpeg

I have reasonably bad astigmatism so normal-ish red dots etc dont work for me (all I see
is a spiderweb of light). I have an Ultradot G1 on my Redhawk and it works nicely. Do the
optics I see on AR's or Andrew's hardware etc have the same problem w/ astigmatism or are they
clear (due to different optic paths) like the Ultradots?

I'm seemingly committed to 44M at the moment which is so much fun :D

You’ve got a revolver, desert eagle (soon), and lever gun in 44 mag. Not sure what else in 44 mag you can get.

.357 Magnum. Super flexible - can shoot anything from mousefart .38 Specials to fire-breathing .357 loads. You can get those calibers in derringers, snubbies, 8-shot .357 wheelguns, semi-autos, and lever guns.

I've got at least three wheelguns in .357, will be getting another, and a .357 lever gun. Tons of fun and they're good self-defense guns, too.
Shooting one day with a .357 and .44 mag levers.. not mine.
I preferred the .357. Didn't like the kick on the 44, and my groups sucked... and although powerful and fun, that round is a little too pricey for me.

I have reasonably bad astigmatism so normal-ish red dots etc dont work for me (all I see
is a spiderweb of light). I have an Ultradot G1 on my Redhawk and it works nicely. Do the
optics I see on AR's or Andrew's hardware etc have the same problem w/ astigmatism or are they
clear (due to different optic paths) like the Ultradots?

I'm seemingly committed to 44M at the moment which is so much fun

223 or so(556 ammo like 5.56 Ammo - GritrSports.com sounds interesting, but not feeling it right now). This is for home & range, NO real world hunting of 4legged critters )

If you don't want to jump, Ruger PC should work, could also look into some 9mm AKs I guess. Or if you're commited to 44M, just get a lever :D

if you're commited to 44M, just get a lever :D

This^

I have more than a slew of lever actions, but this is my favorite in .44M
Mine runs flawlessly, even with .44 Specials.
I love my Henrys, but they weigh a ton compared to a svelte little Browning designed model 92.
IMHO this 16" Trapper variant is the best of the bunch.

Last edited:
Ye, I can't even shoot my Henry without benchrest anymore(shoulder issues, pretty hard to hold it properly).
Man that R92 looks sweet as hell! I'm thinking about finding an old Marlin or Ithaca and restoring it a bit, browsed a few markets, Gunicorns | Professional Gun & Firearms Blog and restoration guides. Gonna be a fun project!

Last edited:
Ye, I can't even shoot my Henry without benchrest anymore(shoulder issues, pretty hard to hold it properly).
Man that R92 looks sweet as hell!
Shoulder issues s*ck.

God gave you 2 shoulders. You can't switch?

This^

I have more than a slew of lever actions, but this is my favorite in .44M
Mine runs flawlessly, even with .44 Specials.
I love my Henrys, but they weigh a ton compared to a svelte little Browning designed model 92.
IMHO this 16" Trapper variant is the best of the bunch.

Good looking rifle.

I need to read more about Rossi, their prices are pretty good.

If you reload and you want an SBR, I can't imagine not going with a 300 blackout. Its a reloader's dream and an extremely versatile caliber. You can load anything from extremely quiet subs, to supersonics that are ballistically similar to 7.62x39. And theres a very broad range of bullets, which is great if you also load for other .308 caliber cartridges. Same magazines and lower as your AR. You'll probably want just a dedicated upper for it. Its far more versatile than a PCC.

If you reload and you want an SBR, I can't imagine not going with a 300 blackout. Its a reloader's dream and an extremely versatile caliber. You can load anything from extremely quiet subs, to supersonics that are ballistically similar to 7.62x39.
Or just shoot cheap steel case commie x39 ammo lol.

Back
Top Bottom