• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help me decide!

Or just shoot cheap steel case commie x39 ammo lol.
Funny, what I was thinking. Why would I want to reload to match 7.62x39 ... without even testing the first batch of any caliber it is usually more accurate than 7.62x39, so telling me I can get that accuracy is basically telling me the cartridge is sh*t. [rofl]

Funny, what I was thinking. Why would I want to reload to match 7.62x39 ... without even testing the first batch of any caliber it is usually more accurate than 7.62x39, so telling me I can get that accuracy is basically telling me the cartridge is sh*t. [rofl]

300 blackout can be loaded far more accurately than cheap steel case x39. The point I made was that it’s an extremely versatile cartridge that allows you to load from one of the quietest subsonic plinking rounds, all the way up to supersonic loads that hit about as hard as 7.62x39. There are tons of benefits of reloading 300 blackout.

You are ignoring the part about hand loading.
I hand load. But sometimes it doesn't make sense. If the goal is to match 7.62x39 ... with the added work to reload rifle cartridges, it might not be worth it.

Besides, the OP said he is trying to keep it to a pistol caliber and you offer 300, then try to call me out for the handloader part. ;) 👍

I hand load. But sometimes it doesn't make sense. If the goal is to match 7.62x39 ... with the added work to reload rifle cartridges, it might not be worth it.

Besides, the OP said he is trying to keep it to a pistol caliber and you offer 300, then try to call me out for the handloader part. ;) 👍
Who said anything else about the goal being to match 7.62x39?

Again, the point of stating that it can be loaded up to similar ballistics was to show how versatile the cartridge is to a handloader.

The OP mentioned SBRs, and PCCs, the 300 blackout cartridge is arguably one the the best in an SBR, and has many benefits over PCCs. It uses pistol powders, and can use pistol primers for subs. It can fling just about any .308 caliber bullet you can find which makes it very cheap to reload. It’s absolutely relevant in this discussion. I don’t think steel cased x39 is, however. But to each their own.

Not the same, I was replying to you, not the OP.

+1 👍 for effort.
No, I actually quoted the post that you replied directly to me. It’s on this page. You can see it for yourself.

0 for effort.

Nevermind: I misread your post. If you don’t think 300 blackout is a relevant alternative to a PCC, and is relevant to the OP requesting opinions on an SBR to hand load for, fine. I don’t care. I hope the OP considers it.

No, I actually quoted the post that you replied directly to me. It’s on this page. You can see it for yourself.

0 for effort.
It's OK bro. Don't worry. Ignore my post was a reply to yours. Keep talking about 300.

Henry lever 44.
Henry lever 357 if you want a new caliber.
I don't know of any 9mm lever or pump rifles, but I bet the first one who comes out with one will have a winner.

Semi auto 9mm:

For something different, you could get the Kel-Tec one that folds, and have it in a magazine that is compatible with whatever pistol you use.

Henry lever 44.
Henry lever 357 if you want a new caliber.
I don't know of any 9mm lever or pump rifles, but I bet the first one who comes out with one will have a winner.

Semi auto 9mm:

For something different, you could get the Kel-Tec one that folds, and have it in a magazine that is compatible with whatever pistol you use.
Henry levers are great.

For a little more money, consider Uberti.

The quality of their lever actions is second to none, their wood is beautiful and the actions are smooth AF. On top of that most can be tuned up and a short stroke kit installed, which in my opinion males the rifles so much better.

Henry levers are great.

For a little more money, consider Uberti.

The quality of their lever actions is second to none, their wood is beautiful and the actions are smooth AF. On top of that most can be tuned up and a short stroke kit installed, which in my opinion males the rifles so much better.
Does Uberti make a 9mm lever rifle? If so, got a link?

Otherwise, I did find this cool semi-auto:

a quick look on Uberti's website answers this. At least right now, their only offerings in 9mm or .44 Mag are revolvers.

They don't.

But I did find this ugly POS:

View: https://youtu.be/UIOpRPoIaOs

Last edited:
Wish they would bring these back out again!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHbidXJqXA

Last edited:
If it's for fun I'd start up with a new .45 LC or .357 something. If you want something for fighting I'd build yourself an AR, specifically a 16" carbine, while you still can.

I saw nothing. Or is that what you couldn't put into words? Or did I miss it?
You deleted the part of my reply where I answered you.

"At least right now, their only offerings in 9mm or .44 Mag are revolvers."

That is - the only firearms they list on their site in 9 or 44 (the two cartridges OP asked about) are revolvers. In other words - no, they do not have a lever in either of those cartridges.

It's possible at some point in the past they offered a 44Mag lever. It's unlikely anyone offers a 9mm lever (except the above abomination that @Broc linked) since most lever guns use rimmed cartridges. (Exception being Henry's "Long Ranger")

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAHbidXJqXA

I was pretty sure these would be unobtanium, what with being discontinued in '99, but there's one in MA, and not that expensive.

Too bad the magazines are proprietary and expensive

I have three semi auto rifles chambered in 9mm.

Ruger PC Carbine (Ruger calls it the "Chassis Model")
Pros: Affordable, reliable, runs well with just about any ammunition. Can be configured to use Glock magazines. Comes from the factory in a MA-compliant version/
Cons: Doesn't come with any form of gunsight you must provide your own, relatively complicated to field-strip (remove pistol grip, bolt handle, magazine well before you can remove bolt assembly and trigger)

CZ Scorpion EVO 3
Pros: Excellent quality, very easy to field strip without any tools, ambidextrous safeties and magazine release, light weight, extremely accurate rifle. Comes standard with flip-up iron sights (actually plastic).
Cons: Needed some break-in (500 rounds). Expensive. Will require modifications (welded muzzle brake, removal of folding stock) to be MA-compliant. Trigger pull was very heavy, replaced with HB Industries after-market trigger. Also replaced safeties and charging handle with HB Industries products. Uses proprietary CZ magazines which go for $30-$35 a piece.

Aero Precision EPC 9
Pros: Excellent quality, AR-style rifle. Being an AR platform field stripping and cleaning is incredibly easy. Uses Glock magazines; I use Magpul PMAGs which work just fine and are cheaper than Glocks. Very accurate and well-balanced.
Cons: Difficult to obtain in MA. Aero Precision will not do any business in MA. Rifle will require the usual modifications to become MA-compliant (welded muzzle brake, pinned stock). Break-in about 400 rounds. Doesn't like flat-nose ammunition (hollow points, wad cutters). Last round bolt hold open feature doesn't always work.

Semi Auto Rifles 02.jpg

Show up to the next COPICUT Steel Challenge when they start again in 2023.

You will see some sweet, and affordable, 9mm PCC.

Added bonus: about half the shooters are NES members.

So my current experience is pretty much all various 9mm pistols or 44Mag pistol and rifle. I reload both 9 & 44M.

I'm trying to decide 'what next'.

I'm completely undecided if should get something like the Ruger PC Carbine (9mm) or some variation (SBR, bullpup, carbine, etc)
like Ruger, KrissVector, 'Other', MP5 clones, etc which is of course more $$. I'd prefer to keep it to some pistol caliber instead of jumping to
223 or so. This is for home & range, NO real world hunting of 4legged critters ;) )

Please compare, contrast, discuss choices
I originally read this as you wanting to stick with 9mm or 44Mag.

Rereading it, it looks like you are looking for any suggestions.

Having a Thompson, even if only semi-auto, would be fun.

Otherwise, a Garand is always a fun choice, or an M1 Carbine.

Then, you could look into foreign stuff, AK's, German 8mm, Japanese Arisaka.

I guess it all depends what trail you want to take, and if it is for collecting, shooting, both, neither? or what ever your use is.

Merry Christmas to you!

You know what. I looked at the VHS and fingerbanged it at white birch armory, about 3 months ago. It’s heavy, and the ergos aren’t great. It’s a bullpup, so reloads are slow. It actually does nothing a 14.7” AR doesn’t do just as well. After handling it, I just took it of my wish list.

Coyote: I am/was trying to stay in either 9 or 44M.

In the end, got a Henry BBX in 44.

Now sort of looking at the Rugar SFAR .308W cause 'why not'
Oh. So my initial reading was correct. Maybe everyone else was throwing me off.

Pics?

ay1uby1udQ

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom