help me choose

i have narrowed down my choices (mostly due to budget) to a Beretta 92FS or a SW M&P9 (both brand new). im going to test fire them soon to see which fits me better but i was wondering if there was any other reason i should choose one over the other. (i dont plan on carrying either one too much to start. ill probably buy a dedicated carry weapon later.) is either one more reliable than the other? is one more user friendly than the other?

any input is much appreciated.

my vote is also for the beretta, i've shot both and prefer the beretta.

right out of the box it's a great gun and a lot of people who have shot it have complimented the factory trigger.

now the 9mm shortage on the other hand... [sad2]

You can get a new Beretta for $550; used models can usually be found at $450. Preban 15 round magazines are readily available.

The M&P goes for $500 new, but a new M&P will require a trigger job, regardless of the trigger (free state vs. MA), so add that to your budget. Used models are available, won't be priced much under $500, but will often come with upgrades or accessories. I believe the new models still come with a coupon for 2 addt'l mags (4 in total), but you'll be restricted to 10 round mags (no prebans).

Ultimately, both are good, reliable and affordable guns. I think it will come down to features and ergonomics - which gun has what you want and feels better in your hands? In terms of features, the Beretta has the single action/double action option on the trigger and high cap mags. For most the M&P will win in regards to ergonomics. But you won't know until you've had trigger time on both.

I would compliment the "feel" of the M&P. I have fired one with an out of state trigger and I liked it very much.

But I would never buy one in MA. Not when I have to pay extra to make the trigger usable and put a 10 round magazine in a gun designed for 17.

However, the M&P .45 is tempting me...

I would compliment the "feel" of the M&P. I have fired one with an out of state trigger and I liked it very much.

But I would never buy one in MA. Not when I have to pay extra to make the trigger usable and put a 10 round magazine in a gun designed for 17.

However, the M&P .45 is tempting me...

The regular trigger sucks just as much as the MA trigger. Regardless of which model you get, you need a trigger job.

my vote is also for the beretta, i've shot both and prefer the beretta.

right out of the box it's a great gun and a lot of people who have shot it have complimented the factory trigger.

now the 9mm shortage on the other hand... [sad2]

Second the 92FS.

Its a great firearm.

The regular trigger sucks just as much as the MA trigger. Regardless of which model you get, you need a trigger job.

I must have come across a "lemon". The out of state M&P that I fired had a decent trigger for the average striker-fired pistol.

The Beretta gives you the ability to install a .22 conversion kit. There's talk of producing one for the M&P but I don't think anyone's making one yet.I've shot the Beretta and the M&P in several calibers and prefer the lighter pull and high capacity magazines of the Beretta.

+1 for the Beretta 92fs. I recently acquired one myself. Sexy, beautiful quality, great trigger. Can't stand the triggers on the M&P's, and having to send a brand-new gun to a smith just to make it usable seems absurd.

I really like the M&p9 you have the ability to make it fit really well in your hand with the removable grip inserts. It has very little felt recoil and pretty accurate. The trigger does need to be fixed but thats 60 bucks. So the guns will cost you the same ruffly after all said and done. The Beretta is nice as well, more suited for larger hands. The gun has been around for a while now and has stood the test of time. Also the 15 round mags are nice and pretty available. When you shoot them you will be able to make a easy decision. They are both great but different enough in grip, size and weight that you will feel more comfortable with one over the other. The only thing the M&p really has that stands out over the Beretta to me is the universal picatinny rail for laser and light mounting. But that is only useful if you plan on adding one on.

thanks for all the input guys. i was leaning towards the beretta and it seems the board is too. i completely forgot about the 22 conversion aspect. so the SW does not have one yet? also, how much does a trigger job cost and where would be the best place to get one? (assuming the M&P9 felt better in my hands)

I love my M&P9c I had Dave Santurri (N. Attleboro) do mine, $89 bux, next day turn around. You can get it cheaper if you have more patience than me! After the trigger job, the gun is awesome. If you want to try mine before you buy, let me know, we can meet up at Bobs (Salisbury) or AFS (N Attleboro)... (Shot a Baretta 92 as well, just FYI, so I can compare.)

first handgun purchase today. I bought the Beretta. Love the feel, the way it shoots, and the da/sa action is very nice.

It weighs more than the MP, and S/W has a great reputation for backing up their products. But I felt the Beretta was a higher quality product. And high cap mags are good!

first handgun purchase today. I bought the Beretta. Love the feel, the way it shoots, and the da/sa action is very nice.

It weighs more than the MP, and S/W has a great reputation for backing up their products. But I felt the Beretta was a higher quality product. And high cap mags are good!

Congrats!! [party2] Enjoy it!

I love my M&P9c I had Dave Santurri (N. Attleboro) do mine, $89 bux, next day turn around. You can get it cheaper if you have more patience than me! After the trigger job, the gun is awesome. If you want to try mine before you buy, let me know, we can meet up at Bobs (Salisbury) or AFS (N Attleboro)... (Shot a Baretta 92 as well, just FYI, so I can compare.)

i might have to take you up on that offer...i'll pm you before i go. ill probably go to AFS since it is closest

i might have to take you up on that offer...i'll pm you before i go. ill probably go to AFS since it is closest

Yup, let me know! If you give me enough time I'll see if I can get a friend to join us as well (hes on this forum so hopefully he'll chime in). Hes got a bunch of other guns (glocks, 1911s) that are just fun to shoot...

Back
Top Bottom