Help me choose the right buffer

84ta406

NES Member
Just about finished with my first AR build, looking for recommendations on the correct buffer and spring etc. The stock I have was used and came with a spring and buffer but no clue if its right for what I have. Anyways heres the parts list:

-Anderson closed lower
-Stock is CAA. CBS model
-Upper reciever is from Damage Industries
-Green mountain 20", 223 Wylde Chamber, 1:8 twist, .750 gas block, obviously rifle length.
-Lantac Dragon Muzzle brake
-Syrac Ordnance Adj. gas block.
-Daniel Defense BCG

Any help would be appreciated.

**edit** Weighed my current buffer and came in a 2.826oz

Last edited:
I've been using a spikes h2 buffer and have had no problems with it in carbine, mid, and rifle length gas systems.

I put the JP 'Silent Captured Spring' in both of my ARs as I couldn't stand the sound of the standard units. If I ever get another AR it will get the same.

This has pretty good advice except that I don't think many folks are going to buy a ton of buffers to test. The video is interesting enough though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwvcWgNBu2Y

Windham Weaponry has an H carbine buffer that is a decent price. That paired with a JP silent captured spring seems to run great in one of my 16" Mid length builds. If you feel like the one you have isn't working for you, try the WW one (or any H or H2 marked buffer).

but if you can swing an adjustable GAS BLOCK, you can pretty much adjust any issues you have with being over gassed and not need to toy with the buffer side of things.

Last edited:
Is this your stock? https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1960141278/command-arms-stock-cbs-collapsible-ar-15-lr-308-carbine-synthetic

Is it Milspec or Commerical?

Figure out if its Milspec or Commerical then buy a carbine length buffer tube and spring. You can normally buy everything together.

Here's a Milspec buffer assembly: http://www.primaryarms.com/am-21-buffer-kit/p/am-21-buffer-kit/

Here's a Commercial buffer assembly: http://www.primaryarms.com/adva5101050/p/adva5101050/

Yes thats my stock, its mil spec. Already have a tube, spring and buffer at the moment. I bought it second hand and it has a carbine buffers, figured with my longer barrel and rifle length system a different buffer should be used.

Sgeary- I was thinking a H2 would be right for me as well.

Last edited:
Yes thats my stock, its mil spec. Already have a tube, spring and buffer at the moment. I bought it second hand and it has a carbine buffers, figured with my longer barrel and rifle length system a different buffer should be used.

Sgeary- I was thinking a H2 would be right for me as well.

ahhhh gotcha. Go shoot the rifle. If it fires fine, you're good to go. If you'd prefer a heavy buffer, go for it. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer with this.

ahhhh gotcha. Go shoot the rifle. If it fires fine, you're good to go. If you'd prefer a heavy buffer, go for it. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer with this.

Flip a coin and then buy the cheapest. In all seriousness. You have an adjustable gas block.
In some ways there is a right and wrong answer. Because your selection will bias how you tune your gas system.

If you want the softest shooting gun, then buy the lightest and you will end up using less gas.

If you want the most reliable gun, capable of slamming the bolt closed on a misshaped round in a dirty chamber, then get the heaviest. (and combine it with a Springco heavy spring)

In some of my "toy" ARs I've actually removed the weights from the buffer. Its under an ounce. And it shoots fantastically.

If you don't understand the relationship between reciprocating weight, gas and bolt speed then read up on it and make your decision then.

Don

p.s. the funniest and dumbest thing I've ever seen when it comes to this kind of thing is someone who spends HUGE money for a JP lightweight bolt carrier, then puts in a heavy buffer. They both make up the reciprocating mass of the rifle. You can achieve the same for less by using a cheap standard bolt carrier and a light buffer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom