Help me choose - S&W 686 or Ruger GP100?

What do you think?

• Go for the Ruger GP100

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Go for the S&W 686

Votes: 51 69.9%
  • Flip a coin

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters
I'm itching for a new revolver and I've narrowed it down to the S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 in stainless. Either the 4" or 6" barrel. I currently own a Model 66 and Model 60 (.38)

I've been a S&W man since day one, many years ago. Some people say that S&W QC (with revolvers) is in the dumper which is sad. I've heard a lot of good things about Ruger.

So what do you think?

Thanks for your comments and input.

both? [smile]

I honestly don't think you could possibly go wrong with either.

Quick... someone's pointing a gun to your head and is making you choose one now! Which one is it?!

Are we talking a new 686? If so, that means a lock.

Is this a gun you want a magic trigger job done on? S&W

Is this a gun that needs to be simple and indestructible? RUGER

What you need to do is sit down and make a list of the features of each gun that appeal to you. You then need to rank those features in order of priority by assigning a numerical value to them. Total up the lists, then go buy both guns.

I've only sold 2 guns. One was a Glock, as I just didn't like it. I'm not a Glock guy. The other was a GP100, and the biggest mistake I made. I own Smith revolvers and like em...a lot...you really can't go wrong with either choice, but I miss my GP100. If you can find one with the old style wood/rubber grips, I thought those looked and felt good. New ones are all coming through with rubber which are fine, just not as attractive. Kinda like asking me which wife I liked best...they both had thier plusses!

My advice is buy whichever one you can you can get the best deal on right now. It won't really matter because you know, eventually, you'll be looking around to buy the other one anyway!

At least that's what usually happens to me. [laugh]

Iv'e shot both & I like them both but my preference is S&W.
Rugers are solid, fun to shoot & are typically more afordable than Smiths. Iv'e found most of the trigers are smooth from the factory.
What I don't really like is the long trigger pull compared to the Smith. The S&W's cylinder will index & the hammer drops alot faster. (for me).
Plus I just like the fit, finish, feel & look of the S&W.

I had a Ruger SP101 (stainless short barrel) and I liked it a lot, ended up trading it in and I regret it. I've always wanted an S&W revolver, so it's really a tough choice. I would go S&W first, then a GP100 later on. [wink]

Great timing for this thread, I am facing the same decision. So far i'm leaning towards the Ruger

Used to Used or New to New the Ruger seems to be about 100-150 cheaper. I haven't found anything about the S+W that makes it worth the price difference, except possibly resale value (but I don't buy guns just to turn around and sell them)

I may be biased, in that I'm sold on the Ruger brand having my first two hand guns be Rugers.

I have shot both but the 686 felt more balanced and fit my hand better. I actually had the salesperson getting the Ruger ready to purchase when I spotted a 686 in the display case. It felt so natural in my hand that I ended up buying it instead of the Ruger.

I would go with the 686 as well, I feel they make some of the best revolvers for the money and you can't beat their customer service. I'm hoping to add a 686 to my collection shortly as well

I spent a lot of research time, gathered a lot of input, and tried a few of both before settling on a 686+ over the GP100.

Quality, feel, value, fit and finish, resale value, durability, reliability (rep with gunsmiths), and availability of accessories all pointed to the 686.

What you need to do is sit down and make a list of the features of each gun that appeal to you. You then need to rank those features in order of priority by assigning a numerical value to them. Total up the lists, then go buy both guns.

This is great advice.[laugh2]

I love my 686. I hate cleaning it, but it fits so well in my hand and for me, was just a natural shooter. When people ask how it shoots I tell them that if I can see the target I can hit it. If my eyes were what they used to be I bet I could get rounds onto the paper plate at 50 yards.
I've tried the Ruger and while I thought it was a decent revolver I just shot the 686 a lot better. Rent them both, see what you shoot better, then decide.

This is great advice.[laugh2]

I love my 686. I hate cleaning it, but it fits so well in my hand and for me, was just a natural shooter. When people ask how it shoots I tell them that if I can see the target I can hit it. If my eyes were what they used to be I bet I could get rounds onto the paper plate at 50 yards.
I've tried the Ruger and while I thought it was a decent revolver I just shot the 686 a lot better. Rent them both, see what you shoot better, then decide.

You hate cleaning it? How complicated is it to clean a stainless revolver? Sure, you have six chambers instead of one, but there's nothing to disassemble or reassemble, no small parts, nothing to rust, very little to oil. It's the most low maintenance firearm I can think of.

You hate cleaning it? How complicated is it to clean a stainless revolver? Sure, you have six chambers instead of one, but there's nothing to disassemble or reassemble, no small parts, nothing to rust, very little to oil. It's the most low maintenance firearm I can think of.

Maybe you know something I don't but I have spent hours scrubbing the front of the cylinder, and the cone, with a brush to get all of the carbon off and get it shiny and new looking after each range trip.

Tell me there is a better way! I am not to proud to take some good advice. It doesn't come off with CLP or Hoppe's #9. I have never soaked it overnight but have tried both.

Smith is a gun for life.
So is a Ruger. Which is why I really like the way ochmude thinks.[smile]

Maybe you know something I don't but I have spent hours scrubbing the front of the cylinder, and the cone, with a brush to get all of the carbon off and get it shiny and new looking after each range trip.

Tell me there is a better way! I am not to proud to take some good advice. It doesn't come off with CLP or Hoppe's #9. I have never soaked it overnight but have tried both.

I use Mothers mag & aluminum polish. That carbon will come off alot easyer & it leaves the metal nice & shiny. Trust me it works the nuts! This is only for stainless! Don't try it on blued guns.

Last edited:
Shoot both first then decide. One may feel better in your hand when shooting. For instance S&W's recoil strait back in my hand. Colt SAA's recoil up and are much more comfortable for me to shoot. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom