Help me choose - S&W 686 or Ruger GP100?

What do you think?

• Go for the Ruger GP100

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Go for the S&W 686

Votes: 51 69.9%
  • Flip a coin

Votes: 4 5.5%

• Total voters
I can give the 686 a ringing endorsement. I'm a revolver "nut" and have a bunch of 'em including 5 L frames (586's and 686's) one of which has well in access of 100,000 rounds through it and sill shoots quarter sized groups at 50 ft from the Ransom Rest. S&W triggers are much easier to tune (IMHO) as well.

I suppose it's just the way I was brought up that when you were done using your gun that you clean it and make it look as new a possible. I know that a lot of people don't clean after each use but I always have.

Same here. I sometimes spend up to an hour cleaning one pistol. I've been doing it that way for over 35 years.

The S&W 686 is a proven and reliable revolver. The big diffrence is the S&W is forged and the GP100 is cast.

I just made an offer on a 686 at Four Seasons and waiting for Carl to get back to me. Forged vs. cast, for me forged wins. [grin]

Last edited:
I love my Ruger LCR, my Ruger MK III, my Ruger Blackhawks, and I want a Ruger sp101, but if I could only have one gun, it would be a 686.

I suppose it's just the way I was brought up that when you were done using your gun that you clean it and make it look as new a possible. I know that a lot of people don't clean after each use but I always have.

If you have time to clean your guns after each use, you don't own enough guns.

If you have time to clean your guns after each use, you don't own enough guns.

[laugh2] This is true!! I definitely need more guns.

Truth be told, I try to rotate what I take to the range. Rifle, shotgun and handguns, with out exception are thoroughly cleaned and lubed before it goes back in the safe. Except my carry gun. She gets a quick clean before leaving the range and going back on my hip and a full service when I get home.

When I was just a kid, Dad made me learn how to clean any gun I wanted to shoot, before I was allowed to shoot it. After going out shooting we would sit and clean the guns in the shop and shoot the breeze. There were a lot of lessons learned sitting on those stools, at the bench cleaning our guns. I guess it became some what of a ritual and now I do the same with my son. I think he'd rather be playing video games but even though times change, standards must remain.. We do joke about though and say that if we ever hit the lottery we would hire a maid for Mom and a butler to clean our guns.[smile] Now that would be livin large

I use Mothers mag & aluminum polish. That carbon will come off alot easyer & it leaves the metal nice & shiny. Trust me it works the nuts! This is only for stainless! Don't try it on blued guns.

I use that on my 686+ and my stainless mod 60, does a nice job cleaning up all the graying.

I used 0000 steel wool, followed by silicone kitchen wax, on my Security Six. Polished it so well, people asked me if it was nickeled (gawd, NO).

Back
Top Bottom