Help me choose a multitool

I didn't read the other pages OR posts.

Victorinox Swiss tool - I've been using mine for well over 15 + yrs?! Whatever year they came out - that is when I got mine. Robust and tools lock in position. IMHO, everything else that I have seen is a toy, LOL. It is full sized and heavy because it was made to be really used/abused.

IME, Leatherman tools beat the snot out of those... [pot]

I have a Gerber with the flip out pliers its awesome only needing one had...

Laugh at the scissors all you want I never thought I would use them, the Gerber ones are strong enough to cut canvas I use them more than anything else.

Gerber--great quality for the price (this one's $47)

310z4Y5FAgL._SY355_.jpg

I have this one as well, its awesome...I actually found mine hiking in the woods last year.

I have a few SOG,Gerber,Leatherman supertool and always come back to my leatherman wave.

Juice 2. It has everything you'll need for edc and is small enought to fit in the thumb pocket in your jeans.

Leatherman super tool 300 at wally world for $60.
It's a little larger than some of the others, but if you use it alot like I do, nice tool.

There is no single answer. The little Gerber is great, because it dows 90% of the job, is small so you can carry it everywhere in your pocket and it will not bother you, but if you need a heavier duty job, you will need a full size leatherman.
The best multitool will not do you any good if you don't have it with you. SO get a little Gerber, in your back pocket for everyday use, and get one of the hefty ones for weekends etc.
Of course, if you are in a business where you can carry the big one on your belt every day.... I would still get the small Gerber to have it around :)

Juice 2. It has everything you'll need for edc and is small enought to fit in the thumb pocket in your jeans.

Assuming we're talking about on body EDC, I'll second the Juice or variants (S2, CS4, etc). I love my Leatherman Wave, but it's too heavy for me to justify wearing on my belt every day.

I have a leatherman skeletool cx in my pocket and a mut in my backpack, when on the water I have an old wave on my belt (maybe 12 years old now)

I have a few gerbers and they rattle and shake a lot, and rust easily. I don't think they are as week made.

I'm gonna go against the grain here, a multitool is too bulky for edc for the usefulness it provides. The tools get you by in a pinch but aren't real tools. I keep on in my truck my boat and my hunting pack and they've come in handy. I use a knife a lot and multitool knives are marginal at best. Scissors would be the next most used tool for me and I have a small victorianox on my key ring for that purpose and carry a nice Benchmade for a blade. I did my my old lady a leatherman juice s2 that would make a nice edc if one felt so inclined, she carries a purse so it's easier for her. I have a couple vic Swiss tools and a charge ti, both are nice multitools but never get carried on a daily basis.

I don't buy Leatherman products due to Tim Leatherman's support of the Democrat party and their policies.

My Gerber Suspension is excellent. I've had it for years and it's never failed.

I have a victorinox swiss tool, a leatherman juice and a leatherman skeletool. The victorinox is a tank and while it's well made it's heavy and not convenient for my edc. It usually stays in my car. I bought the leatherman juice for the same reasons the op described. I've found it to be very useful and I bought a model with scissors and find I use them often. Another nice feature is the size. I can fit the juice in my fifth jeans pocket and it disappears. The skeletool seems good but I received it as a gift fairly recently and don't have enough use to give it a strong review. It seems like it will be a good fit with my fishing gear. OP, check out the different leatherman juice tool combos. One side note, if pliers are your main focus the juice might be a little small. The skeletool has the best pliers of my multi-tools.

I keep a true multi tool in each of my cars. For every day, I have a smallish Victorinox on my key chain (about 3 inches long). I've found my primary uses are the knife, bottle opener, and sometimes flathead screwdriver. While I like the idea of more tools, I'm unwilling to carry more crap in my pockets and almost always have my keys with me.

Leatherman Charge TTi. Features a s30v main blade, very high quality steel, non serrated (half serrated blades are a waste of blade, IMHO). Also has a 420HC fully serrated blade, if you feel you need serrations. Comes with 2 bit drivers (large and small), which I find very useful.

It's a little more expensive than the average pocket tool (I think I paid $100 for mine on Amazon, came with a bunch of extra bits and a carrying case), but you're paying a bit more for a high quality main blade that is stronger and will hold an edge longer. For a tool I'll probably carry every day, indefinitely, it's worth a couple extra bucks.

+1 for a Leatherman.

I've got a Leatherman Wave, definitely one of the chunkier / heavier options, I'd try to find one to hold and try out before you buy for EDC. Comes with a nylon belt sheath which is nice. I like it because the drop point blade and the serrated blade are both accessible one handed, and you can also pull out the hacksaw and file/rasp without opening the whole thing up. All the tools are locking too, which is definitely a plus.

A few downsides- it's a bit bulky and heavy for EDC, and the small tools on the inside can be a PITA to get out, but I love mine.

Victronix is the only way to go. The cost a little more than others but the quality is awsome i have used the same on for 15 years and its still solid

I have been given two Leatherman multi-tools by employers. A super-tool and a wave they are a quality tool with a no BS warranty.

The guy who founded the company is named Leatherman. I have found that when your name is on a product usually it is better.

Like when there was a Horace Smith and Dan Wesson at Smith & Wesson instead of a bean counter like today.

Leatherman Wave or Juice S2. I've carried my Juice S2 in my pocket for more than 10 years and it gets used everyday. My Wave is about 15 years old and I really like it but I prefer pocket sized to belt holster sized multi tools so the Wave only gets worn in the woods.

+1. I have been startled at how useful my Juice S2 can be and have stopped carrying my Wave and my Gerber Bullrush.

Last edited:
I have had my Leatherman Charge Titanium for a while , love it! Also picked up
Leatherman MUT, love it too.

Last edited:
Gerber--great quality for the price (this one's $47)

310z4Y5FAgL._SY355_.jpg

i've had this for about 7 years now. absolutely flawless tool. also, i'm surprised it hasn't come up already in this thread but i believe only the Gerbers feature one-handed deployment. my not mean much to you every day, but when you've only got one hand available (on a ladder, tying a tarp etc.) it comes in quite handy. (pun intended).

Back
Top Bottom