help me choose a full size & mostly metal range 9mm (MA)

Not to hijack, but anyone know of some good metal framed 9mms with a "thumb ledge?" or something to the tune of an accelerator cut? I usually put a piece of sandpaper texture Talon grip on the frame bulge on my glocks. Keeps the gun super flat.

If you go with the Beretta, inspect it thoroughly. Don't make the mistake of sending it in for warranty repair where they will have it for 7+ months, not let you know what's going on and do a repair in a way you specifically asked not to. Their cust service is 100% abhorrent

Should probably list your requirements in order of importance because you’re not getting everything you want.
Good point, I edited the post. I also took out mention of PB magazines. It's a convenience thing, but at the end of the day I want something that shoots well and there being 15 rnd MA-legal mags doesn't really matter.

Beretta 92 or many other in the same family
Sig 210, 229, 226 etc, esp. w/ the Grayguns ELS trigger
Maybe Walther Q4SF (striker though)

Realize that you're just starting your 'journey' and that you'll invariably want
something else, instead of or in addition to.

Not sure it will meet your price point, but I'd highly recommend the Sig P210. It's by far, my favorite range gun.

full

Frank
Gotta say Frank, I kind of hate you(not really, just a smidge jealous). [laugh]

The P210 Target is one of the few guns that if I walk into a LGS and it's in the case, I'll be leaving the store with it. Then it's off to the range to beat the shit out of it. [smile]

• Canik TP9SF Elite
    • Given MSRP, this is the only one that I would get new
    • Not a big fan of all the plastic I see, nor the integrated trigger safety

Canik does have the Rival S which is a steel framed pistol, but it's full sized. Geared towards competition, I think. It is also substantially more expensive than the TP9 SF Elite.

Gotta say Frank, I kind of hate you(not really, just a smidge jealous). [laugh]

The P210 Target is one of the few guns that if I walk into a LGS and it's in the case, I'll be leaving the store with it. Then it's off to the range to beat the shit out of it. [smile]

I missed the Target but I did find a 210Carry which is 1) AWESOME and 2) sexy as FK.

OP: You're going to pay 3-4-500 *more* for a steel framed 9mm than any of the polymers.
The way it is due to materials, machining and cool factor :D

The Canik Rival S looks like the bastard child of a Walther and a Glock.
I appreciate him drawing my attention to it, but it looks like the full sized equivalent of a Honda Civic-R...

edit: since cost keeps coming up, I guess I need to explain my thinking. Until I know what I like, I don't think it makes sense to buy top of the line. Of course, you also don't want to go too cheap or else you get a poor representation. So that's the needle I'm trying to thread here: there's a size and feature-set I know I'm interested, what's a *solid* weapon in that field? I'll end up trying my top few at a range before buying anything, but the point of this thread is to get the wisdom (and sometimes the rotten tomatos) from the regulars.

Last edited:
He's not going to buy a legion (which is a smart choice for the types of guns he's considering,
given you don't have to touch anything on a legion) because he's already committed to backing himself into a corner over a few hundred bucks.....
Other than a coin and some grey paint a legion is just a sig

Most have the srt nowadays

Realistically, yea; maybe better sights too.

You can add the SRT for short $ and most of the rest of the Legion is just
some 'wanna be in the cool club' marketing BS.

Other than a coin and some grey paint a legion is just a sig

"No, it's not". SRT isn't the only thing, Legions on average come with better triggers, less grit/creep, less bullshit.

Legions also have a wholly different frame and you get a nice undercut behind the trigger guard, among other things.

It's not worth even buying most of the new production P series sigs unless its a legion.

You can add the SRT for short $ and most of the rest of the Legion is just
some 'wanna be in the cool club' marketing BS.

You can't add a new frame. Unless you think dremeling your P series frame and refinishing it is cool or something. [rofl]

Why so serious?

I'm going to be that guy. Please don't take this personally.....

Your emtire post is newb shitlogic, imo just buy whatever you like the most gutfeel wise, you're /going/ to choose poorly anyways so what difference does it make. 🤣 I'm 110% serious, too.

I know because I was you once. OVERTHINKING. About stupid shit like pweeban mags etc. Instead of buying a few striker guns that felt good in my hands and learned to shoot them well.... which is ultimately where 99% of the cool kids end up because eventually you discover it's the least dumb choice. Old stuff is great if you're a collector but in a practical sense it usually sucks. And I say that as a guy who still wants a PPK 380 /because it looks cool./ But I'll still gladly tell you it sucks in practical sense.

Also this budget constraint stuff? Really? 🤣Sadly (and it makes me sad because its an obstacle to people exercising their rights, especially ammo costs) this stuff isn't for poors, if you're that hard up you can't flex up to a grand budget you should probably just get the P95DC, a few boxes of ammo and ponder life choices. That's what I would do if I found myself constraining myself to 600 bucks.

@drgrant

If you decide you really want one, and have an FFL that will accept it - I've got one in the safe. I'd tell you I want an arm, a leg and your firstborn - but I have enough of all of those.

I suck at shooting, so take this with a grain of salt -- I got a DA/SA steel frame handgun to start out, but I don't think it matters nearly as much as just practicing effectively and learning to control recoil. I tried a polymer Walther Q5 and thought it was quite good and had a better trigger than my personal gun, and it left me thinking that having a steel frame handgun doesn't even matter that much.

My goals are not to train for defensive use, but for shooting accurately with iron sights. And maybe, eventually, local USPSA shoots. I've all but made up my mind to get a Ruger MKII or IV Target for 22lr shooting and re-training myself on the basics.
If you want 22lr, get the Beretta 92 9mm and then get the 22lr slide conversion kit for training/plinking. I spend more time with this combo than any other pistol. It's a beautiful setup.

@drgrant

If you decide you really want one, and have an FFL that will accept it - I've got one in the safe. I'd tell you I want an arm, a leg and your firstborn - but I have enough of all of those.

blued (or is it black now?) or stainless? [laugh] S&W, Manhurin, Interarms? or Fort Smith?

I will forever make fun of @drgrant if he actually does acquire one

@Buck F and myself are enamored with the PPK even for all of its faults and generally shitty mchorrible nature. [rofl] it's just a goddam cool looking gun, dat form factor. JAMES BOND had one! [rofl] (although his was a 32 I think).

I love the old 3rd gen S&Ws although that may not be the best direction. As another posted suggested I too have fallen prey to the over research online nonsense prior to purchasing a new pistola. So many reviews that make the model sound like it spews Unicorn's Piss and you always get the pot o gold at the end of the rainbow so you plunk down the cash only to have the gun not fit you. I have made so many purchases and ended up trading/selling/not liking and I almost always come back to my core few that fit me and that I shoot well.

I agree with and suggest you follow the advice dolled out by some of the longtime members here; try out a few models at a range, find which ones fits your hand, that you shoot well, be prepared to spend well above your budget and be happy when you find the one that suits you. Then buy a second one because redundancy.....

I suck at shooting, so take this with a grain of salt -- I got a DA/SA steel frame handgun to start out, but I don't think it matters nearly as much as just practicing effectively and learning to control recoil. I tried a polymer Walther Q5 and thought it was quite good and had a better trigger than my personal gun, and it left me thinking that having a steel frame handgun doesn't even matter that much.
Ymmv but I prefer the (reduced) recoil of metal guns more.

And I have a thing for chubby ladies so…

Save up more money and buy my CZ Shadow 2. And then you won't regret your first purchase ever
i said the same but deleted as the pursuit of perfection in $600 range and shadow 2 do not correlate.
caniks, berettas will all work.

STOP....Can we go back to this point in the conversation?
I've all but made up my mind to get a Ruger MKII or IV Target for 22lr shooting and re-training myself on the basics.

"I've all but made up my mind to get a brand new Lexus or a 1992 Toyota Camry that was used in a murder ...and teach myself the basic's of driving.

Seriously, the only people who would choose a MarkII over a IV are people who haven't ever tried to disassemble one of the two. The MarkII was designed by people who hate you and found a way to express it through engineering. The Mark IV by competent engineers who wanted nothing more than to correct the mistakes of the past. Free is only rational price for that nightmare...unless of course, you can use (onshore) child labor to clean it.

If I wasn't clear enough. The Mark 2 is a huge pain in the ass to clean; the mark 4 so easy it's as if they had one mission - fix that problem. Get a mark 4, they're a blast.

Back
Top Bottom