help me choose a full size & mostly metal range 9mm (MA)

While waiting on my LTC to be issued, I'm having fun obsessing over my first range guns.

My goals are not to train for defensive use, but for shooting accurately with iron sights. And maybe, eventually, local USPSA shoots. I've all but made up my mind to get a Ruger MKII or IV Target for 22lr shooting and re-training myself on the basics. So the next question is: what is a good range 9mm to practice with? Supposedly shooting life is easier with striker fired handguns, but I'm kinda broken and like to make easy things hard.

So, I'm looking at full sized mostly metal DA/SA 9mms. I'm expecting to buy USED, and I'd like to keep cost to $600 or less and the gun to not need $100s in parts to be worthwhile. I'm going to keep it in iron sights, but factory removable front/rear sights would be really nice. That's probably the most important other than just being DA/SA. After removable sights, having a good set of aftermarket options (springs/triggers) to tune the action would be helpful. I want to whittle this list down to like 2 - 3 guns and then go try them at MA Firearms School or Granite State, but my list is too long and I need help pairing it down.

• Beretta 92a1 / m9a1
    • Love the look, the metal. Don't really care about slide safety.
    • Would use D spring, and maybe do G conversion. Saw something about a stainless trigger and skeletonized hammer too.
    • IT vs US manufacture matter?
  • CZ-75B(D?)
    • People seem to love these, this is high up on the list
  • S&W 5906/5904/915
    • An earlier NES thread liked the 5906 a lot (link at bottom)
  • Sig P226 (MK25?)
    • DE vs US manufacture matter?
  • Ruger P89
    • "Like a 9mm mullet" lol
  • Browning P35 Standard/MK3/MK2
    • Looks like a beautiful weapon, but will be hard to find in my price range I think
  • Canik TP9SF Elite
    • Given MSRP, this is the only one that I would get new
    • Not a big fan of all the plastic I see, nor the integrated trigger safety

For what it's worth, I have a large frame and large hands, but they're not fat. A 1911 fits in my hands comfortably. I mined this older thread for some options before writing this.

Last edited:
Not sure it will meet your price point, but I'd highly recommend the Sig P210. It's by far, my favorite range gun.

full

Frank

Do you hear that sound? It is my point passing right over your head!
Why so serious?
While waiting on my LTC to be issued, I'm having fun obsessing over my first range guns.

My goals are not to train for defensive use, but for shooting accurately with iron sights. And maybe, eventually, local USPSA shoots. I've all but made up my mind to get a Ruger MKII or IV Target for 22lr shooting and re-training myself on the basics. So the next question is: what is a good range 9mm to practice with? Supposedly shooting life is easier with striker fired handguns, but I'm kinda broken and like to make easy things hard.

So, I'm looking at full sized mostly metal DA/SA 9mms. I'm expecting to buy USED, and I'd like to keep cost to $600 or less and the gun to not need $100s in parts to be worthwhile. I'm going to keep it in iron sights, but factory removable front/rear sights would be really nice. Since I'm in MA, pre-b high capacity mag availability would be a plus. So is general parts availability. I want to whittle this list down to like 2 - 3 guns and then go try them at MA Firearms School or Granite State, but my list is too long and I need help pairing it down.

• Beretta 92a1 / m9a1
    • Would use D spring, and maybe do G conversion. Saw something about a stainless trigger and skeletonized hammer too.
  • CZ-75B(D?)
  • S&W 5906/5904/915
  • Sig P226 (MK25?)
  • Ruger P89
    • Looks like a beautiful weapon, but will be hard to find in my price range I think
  • Canik TP9SF Elite

For what it's worth, I have a large frame and large hands, but they're not fat. A 1911 fits in my hands comfortably. I mined this older thread for some options before writing this.

I'm going to be that guy. Please don't take this personally.....

Your emtire post is newb shitlogic, imo just buy whatever you like the most gutfeel wise, you're /going/ to choose poorly anyways so what difference does it make. 🤣 I'm 110% serious, too.

I know because I was you once. OVERTHINKING. About stupid shit like pweeban mags etc. Instead of buying a few striker guns that felt good in my hands and learned to shoot them well.... which is ultimately where 99% of the cool kids end up because eventually you discover it's the least dumb choice. Old stuff is great if you're a collector but in a practical sense it usually sucks. And I say that as a guy who still wants a PPK 380 /because it looks cool./ But I'll still gladly tell you it sucks in practical sense.

Also this budget constraint stuff? Really? 🤣Sadly (and it makes me sad because its an obstacle to people exercising their rights, especially ammo costs) this stuff isn't for poors, if you're that hard up you can't flex up to a grand budget you should probably just get the P95DC, a few boxes of ammo and ponder life choices. That's what I would do if I found myself constraining myself to 600 bucks.

Why so serious?

I'm going to be that guy. Please don't take this personally.....

Your emtire post is newb shitlogic, imo just buy whatever you like the most gutfeel wise, you're /going/ to choose poorly anyways so what difference does it make. 🤣 I'm 110% serious, too.

I know because I was you once. OVERTHINKING. About stupid shit like pweeban mags etc. Instead of buying a few striker guns that felt good in my hands and learned to shoot them well.... which is ultimately where 99% of the cool kids end up because eventually you discover it's the least dumb choice. Old stuff is great if you're a collector but in a practical sense it usually sucks. And I say that as a guy who still wants a PPK 380 /because it looks cool./ But I'll still gladly tell you it sucks in practical sense.

Also this budget constraint stuff? Really? 🤣Sadly (and it makes me sad because its an obstacle to people exercising their rights, especially ammo costs) this stuff isn't for poors, if you're that hard up you can't flex up to a grand budget you should probably just get the P95DC, a few boxes of ammo and ponder life choices. That's what I would do if I found myself constraining myself to 600 bucks.
Hah, I appreciate where you're coming from but...

1. I like researching things
2. I like the inherent safety margin provided in the first pull of a DA/SA
3. I'll manage my money however I want!

Have you looked at the 226 Legion? My experience with Sig has been great thus far - reliable, accurate, good customer service. I had previously owned a couple of P239 in the nitro finish. Great guns - no problems. I recently decided to buy a P220 Legion and I really like that gun also. The fit, finish, sites, etc are all slightly nicer in the legion series.

Edit: Sorry! I did not read carefully enough! My vote is for regular 226.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the 226 Legion? My experience with Sig has been great thus far - reliable, accurate, good customer service. I had previously owned a couple of P239 in the norton finish. Great guns - no problems. I recently decided to buy a P220 Legion and I really like that gun also. The fit, finish, sites, etc are all slightly nicer in the legion series.
He's not going to buy a legion (which is a smart choice for the types of guns he's considering,
given you don't have to touch anything on a legion) because he's already committed to backing himself into a corner over a few hundred bucks.....

Buy a canik and a case of 9mm and flex on sti bros

Thats what i used to do at idpa
This. If your playing cheap out......Canik TP9 SFX or TP9SFX Mete. The triggers are good and you can upgrade if you want.

I have a 92FS and its a great gun, but I'd take the Canik all day long over it for target shooting.

He's not going to buy a legion (which is a smart choice for the types of guns he's considering,
given you don't have to touch anything on a legion) because he's already committed to backing himself into a corner over a few hundred bucks.....
Not necessarily, that's one of the points of the thread: to get feedback. If i was committed (plz don't take that the wrong way @Optimator ) I wouldn't be asking for opinions!

So, I'm looking at full sized mostly metal DA/SA 9mms. I'm expecting to buy USED, and I'd like to keep cost to $600 or less and the gun to not need $100s in parts to be worthwhile. I'm going to keep it in iron sights, but factory removable front/rear sights would be really nice. Since I'm in MA, pre-b high capacity mag availability would be a plus. So is general parts availability. I want to whittle this list down to like 2 - 3 guns and then go try them at MA Firearms School or Granite State, but my list is too long and I need help pairing it down.

• Beretta 92a1 / m9a1
  • CZ-75B(D?)
  • S&W 5906/5904/915
  • Sig P226 (MK25?)
  • Ruger P89
  • Canik TP9SF Elite

For what it's worth, I have a large frame and large hands, but they're not fat. A 1911 fits in my hands comfortably. I mined this older thread for so
I've owned the Beretta 92. the Sig P-226 and the CZ 75B. All are excellent pistols, and all of mine were 100% reliable and soft shooting pistols, I eventually sold all three pistols just because I had too many guns in my safe. But if I had to buy one of those pistols today, I'd buy the CZ 75. I never could get used to where the safety was on the Beretta 92. And believe me, I have tried. And I never liked the high-bore axis on the Sigs.
me options before writing this.

Hah, I appreciate where you're coming from but...

2. I like the inherent safety margin provided in the first pull of a DA/SA
There is no inherent safety margin with DA/SA over modern striker fire handguns. Just inconsistency. This is more of the “newb shitlogic” as mentioned above.

That is unless you plan on pointing the pistol at non targets with your finger on the trigger and just squeezing it “lightly” lol

Should probably list your requirements in order of importance because you’re not getting everything you want.

Back
Top Bottom