• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

help me choose a full size & mostly metal range 9mm (MA)

If you want 22lr, get the Beretta 92 9mm and then get the 22lr slide conversion kit for training/plinking. I spend more time with this combo than any other pistol. It's a beautiful setup.
I was looking at that. The conversion kit is about $350 right now; you think it's a good deal vs buying a dedicated $400 target 22?

Beretta M9, Sig P226, CZ SP01 or Browning/FN Highpower. Of the above, my favorites for the range are the CZ75 SP01 or a Highpower. Just also picked up a new Springfield SA35 (HP clone) and its phenomenal.

The Hi-point is the ugliest and the toughest gun of all the guns mentioned.
One of these have been on my wish-list lately, which I think blows the Hi-point out of the water.... the SAR-9. It's basically a Turkish-made Glock/HK-esque full size striker gun. Sarsilmaz is the official pistol supplier of the Turkish national police and armed forces, and the handgun sells for around $300 USD.

Allegedly reliable and well made. Perhaps a bit more of a serious gun and duty proven than the Hi-point but of a similar cost. Seems like a great trunk/backup gun you leave in the car that if it got lost/stolen/banged up, it wouldn't be the end of the world.

blued (or is it black now?) or stainless? [laugh] S&W, Manhurin, Interarms? or Fort Smith?

@Buck F and myself are enamored with the PPK even for all of its faults and generally shitty mchorrible nature. [rofl] it's just a goddam cool looking gun, dat form factor. JAMES BOND had one! [rofl] (although his was a 32 I think).
Pm sent

I was looking at that. The conversion kit is about $350 right now; you think it's a good deal vs buying a dedicated $400 target 22?
Ehhhhh. $350 is a lot. But the Glock kits are about $300, so not too far off. I got the Beretta conversion kit on a black friday sale a few years ago for 50% off (so I prob paid $175-ish).

A dedicated Ruger Target is going to be a sewing machine. However, I've found the Beretta kit to be dead nuts accurate and butter smooth. Further, it's insanely reliable because of the "falling block" locking system. I put the shittiest ammo through it and it shoots. I give it duds made from other guns and it shoots.

The main advantage of the Beretta kit is you dont have to buy a separate gun. Just throw the slide, a couple mags, and a snack bag of 22 ammo in your bag and off you go.

One of these have been on my wish-list lately, which I think blows the Hi-point out of the water.... the SAR-9. It's basically a Turkish-made Glock/HK-esque full size striker gun. Sarsilmaz is the official pistol supplier of the Turkish national police and armed forces, and the handgun sells for around $300 USD.

Allegedly reliable and well made. Perhaps a bit more of a serious gun and duty proven than the Hi-point but of a similar cost. Seems like a great trunk/backup gun you leave in the car that if it got lost/stolen/banged up, it wouldn't be the end of the world.
Until someone makes a video like the two below, the Hi-point is still tougher.

View: https://youtu.be/a3V8mK5FadI

View: https://youtu.be/2JV8PY4_b80

Oh, and if you're OK dropping $1200-$1300 ish, the Walther Q4 is unreal as is the CZ Shadow 2. They make shooting paper almost boring they're so accurate with so little recoil.

Until someone makes a video like the two below, the Hi-point is still tougher.

View: https://youtu.be/a3V8mK5FadI

View: https://youtu.be/2JV8PY4_b80

that still doesn't make an HP not a piece of shit. IIRC flannel daddy killed his by throwing it up against a rock. although to its testmanent it did fire a few rounds before it completely fell apart

the value prop of that gun is f***ing garbage though now. Basically the only value HP handguns have in the industry now is as a prank to pull on your friends. Like imagine giving your friend one of those f***ing things for his birthday, it's basically like gifting him a huge dildo with sidecar of elephant shit.

Lots of guns blow a shitpoint out of the water. [rofl] There are a half a dozen turkatron or other imports like that that make HPs look stupid. The SAR-9 was "okay" but the one I messed with looked like it had soap bar grips. Still better than an HP though.

The taurus G3 and G3c basically massacre the HP at a marginally higher price point.

The only thing an HP really beats is a Jennings, Jimenez, Bryco, or one of those low grade, deathtrap type SNS/ring of fire shitpistols.

@Buck F and myself are enamored with the PPK even for all of its faults and generally shitty mchorrible nature. [rofl] it's just a goddam cool looking gun, dat form factor. JAMES BOND had one! [rofl] (although his was a 32 I think).

So true, cool/Bond factor are the only reason I want one. And I take my martinis stirred, not shaken.

I had to Google it.

Holy sh*t that is one ugly looking gun.

I find the serrations on the barrel lug to be a particularly hideous design choice. As if this thing already didn't have enough serrations on it.

But it is a metal frame gun, and OP was asking about Caniks.

While waiting on my LTC to be issued, I'm having fun obsessing over my first range guns.

My goals are not to train for defensive use, but for shooting accurately with iron sights. And maybe, eventually, local USPSA shoots. I've all but made up my mind to get a Ruger MKII or IV Target for 22lr shooting and re-training myself on the basics. So the next question is: what is a good range 9mm to practice with? Supposedly shooting life is easier with striker fired handguns, but I'm kinda broken and like to make easy things hard.

So, I'm looking at full sized mostly metal DA/SA 9mms. I'm expecting to buy USED, and I'd like to keep cost to $600 or less and the gun to not need $100s in parts to be worthwhile. I'm going to keep it in iron sights, but factory removable front/rear sights would be really nice. That's probably the most important other than just being DA/SA. After removable sights, having a good set of aftermarket options (springs/triggers) to tune the action would be helpful. I want to whittle this list down to like 2 - 3 guns and then go try them at MA Firearms School or Granite State, but my list is too long and I need help pairing it down.

• Beretta 92a1 / m9a1
    • Love the look, the metal. Don't really care about slide safety.
    • Would use D spring, and maybe do G conversion. Saw something about a stainless trigger and skeletonized hammer too.
    • IT vs US manufacture matter?
  • CZ-75B(D?)
    • People seem to love these, this is high up on the list
  • S&W 5906/5904/915
    • An earlier NES thread liked the 5906 a lot (link at bottom)
  • Sig P226 (MK25?)
    • DE vs US manufacture matter?
  • Ruger P89
    • "Like a 9mm mullet" lol
  • Browning P35 Standard/MK3/MK2
    • Looks like a beautiful weapon, but will be hard to find in my price range I think
  • Canik TP9SF Elite
    • Given MSRP, this is the only one that I would get new
    • Not a big fan of all the plastic I see, nor the integrated trigger safety

For what it's worth, I have a large frame and large hands, but they're not fat. A 1911 fits in my hands comfortably. I mined this older thread for some options before writing this.
Beretta and 5906 are the only 2 I have first hand experience with and I prefer the 5906. Just feels better in my hand. Mags for both still readily available.

I've owned the Beretta 92. the Sig P-226 and the CZ 75B. All are excellent pistols, and all of mine were 100% reliable and soft shooting pistols, I eventually sold all three pistols just because I had too many guns in my safe.
What is this “too many guns?” I see you wrote words, but I can’t comprehend the order. Why are you punishing your guns just because your safe is too small …?

OP, do as @Sparky123 suggets and buy all three. Just remember the object lesson and buy a really big safe.

What is this “too many guns?” I see you wrote words, but I can’t comprehend the order. Why are you punishing your guns just because your safe is too small …?

OP, do as @Sparky123 suggets and buy all three. Just remember the object lesson and buy a really big safe.

Too many guns is when you buy a gun and then realize you already had one of them in the safe and forgot about it, but you still keep both.

Lots of guns blow a shitpoint out of the water. [rofl] There are a half a dozen turkatron or other imports like that that make HPs look stupid. The SAR-9 was "okay" but the one I messed with looked like it had soap bar grips. Still better than an HP though.

The taurus G3 and G3c basically massacre the HP at a marginally higher price point.

The only thing an HP really beats is a Jennings, Jimenez, Bryco, or one of those low grade, deathtrap type SNS/ring of fire shitpistols.
TBH IDK why the HP is even discussed period, unless you are in absolute financial struggle and $100 on a firearm you need for self or home defense is going to make or break having a gun at all. Like you said Taurus and Turkce guns in the sub $400 gun category that blow it out of the water when it comes to the price:quality ratio.

Why skinflint $50 for a HP over a used but actually functional and servicable Türkğün or Taurus. That's just retard behavior from those who do.

I'm going to be that guy. Please don't take this personally.....

Your emtire post is newb shitlogic, imo just buy whatever you like the most gutfeel wise, you're /going/ to choose poorly anyways so what difference does it make. 🤣 I'm 110% serious, too.

Lol. This was 1000% me. Trying to do research and debate pros/cons in my mind for weeks until I bought something. And it was indeed dumb. Granted, I was gifted a BG380 as my actual first gun, so I guess it only went uphill from there.

Lol. This was 1000% me. Trying to do research and debate pros/cons in my mind for weeks until I bought something. And it was indeed dumb. Granted, I was gifted a BG380 as my actual first gun, so I guess it only went uphill from there.
Uphill is right. Bg380 is arguably the or one of the worst modern 380-type micro gun. Awful trigger. Awful shootability Awful ergos, and that's saying something as the micro 380 category isn't known for either.

Every shot was disappointing. The only thing it's good at is being small.

Uphill is right. Bg380 is arguably the or one of the worst modern 380-type micro gun. Awful trigger. Awful shootability Awful ergos, and that's saying something as the micro 380 category isn't known for either

The only thing it has going for it is that it is truly a pocket pistol. But that said, the light strikes, the failure to return to battery, the like 13lb plastic trigger with no predictable break, the overall sh*t design of trying to put paws on a slide that feels like a pencil in your hands...it's terrible. Talking sh*t about this gun is practically a pastime for me. I was gifted mine, but I think that was more of an FU by the prior owner.

Uphill is right. Bg380 is arguably the or one of the worst modern 380-type micro gun. Awful trigger. Awful shootability Awful ergos, and that's saying something as the micro 380 category isn't known for either.

I can do one worse... this is the BG380s spiritual predecessor

smegma.gif

The... SMEGMA 380.... [rofl]

See those dimples on the mag? there is no mag release. You have to rip the mag out of the gun. (the magazine is held in by these plastic squeeze clip things) There also is no slide lock. At all.

also the trigger is about 28 lbs and gritty as f***.

slide is all zinc/pot metal garbage.

Not sure it will meet your price point, but I'd highly recommend the Sig P210. It's by far, my favorite range gun.

full

Frank
Looks good to

Hah, I appreciate where you're coming from but...

1. I like researching things
2. I like the inherent safety margin provided in the first pull of a DA/SA
3. I'll manage my money however I want!
The 5xxx serried SW are decent and where plentiful and cheap not to long ago.
Buy the double stack version few thousand rounds of ammo and be done with it.
I have a ForTgay 4013t double stack and its a great little gun. Its one of the best pointing grip to draw pistols I own. The snubby 2nd and then the 1911.

I bought the 4013 not even knowing how gay they where. Shot it and with the amount of ammo that came with it, no brainer.

My only advice. Used can be tricky and the older the gun the less value there is in fixing it.

As far as needing the least amount of upgrades: well that is dependent on your expectations and then how the pistol lives up to that after 6-12 months of active shooting.
Whats the market on gen 1 M&P these days?

Agree with all of that but the BG380 is all I can carry when cycling and not have it painfully obvious I have a gun in my jersey.

Back
Top Bottom