Help me buy a new handgun

The time has come for a new gun and with it comes new questions. I'm planning on getting either a gen3/4 g19 or g23. I plan on accomplishing this feat by trading my sr45, two holsters, 4 magazines, and 500 accumulated rounds of ammunition for my new pistol. I plan on doing the following through a dealer. I have a few questions, which are as follows:

-do you think it's reasonable to trade that package (plus a little cash on my end) for one of the pistols I'm interested in?
-do dealers accept ammunition in the kind of package deal in suggesting?
-would you recommend a g19 or g23? I already have a shield, so I stock 9mm. I'm not sure if I would like to start stocking .40. I know nothing good comes from a fotay. Then again, if there comes a day when 9 is scarce, I can shoot 40. Couple this with the fact that I can get a 9mm barrel and mags effectively making another pistol.

It's a lot to consider and I thought I would toss this one up to the wise minds of nes.

Disclaimer: my new gun will be a carry piece, range gun, and home defender.

Glock 19 all the way!

There are billions of rounds of 9mm.

More fun to shoot.
More accurate for most people.
Won't blow up.
Cheaper.
No less lethal.

Up to 17 rounds in a G17 mag.

Doubt any ffl would take in ammo for trade. Bad juju.

Why don't you just sell the setup you listed and pay cash? Glocks are still overpriced from what I have seen. Not that I am looking for one.

Glock 19 .. skip the .40

Between the gens , the gen 4 is good , unless you like the ease of customizing with spring weights and not having to deal with a multi coil spring go gen 3.

I love the 19 so much i own 3 , though one i bought so i could try my hand at stippling and copy the agency arms stippled guns, cause if im going to pay someone to burn dots into polymere for 400$ i might as well buy a gun and a 20 dollar wood burner.. just waiting for that to arrive

Glock 19 .. skip the .40

Between the gens , the gen 4 is good , unless you like the ease of customizing with spring weights and not having to deal with a multi coil spring go gen 3.

I love the 19 so much i own 3 , though one i bought so i could try my hand at stippling and copy the agency arms stippled guns, cause if im going to pay someone to burn dots into polymere for 400$ i might as well buy a gun and a 20 dollar wood burner.. just waiting for that to arrive

I agree.

Go with Gen 3. Or Gen 2 if you do not like the finger grooves.

Doubt any ffl would take in ammo for trade. Bad juju.

Why don't you just sell the setup you listed and pay cash? Glocks are still overpriced from what I have seen. Not that I am looking for one.
For the record, they are not handloads - all ammo I bought at Walmart or dicks all in original factory boxes (i think)

about preban mags - are 19/17 mags easier to find than 22/23?

- - - Updated - - -

I agree.

Go with Gen 3. Or Gen 2 if you do not like the finger grooves.
Grooves don't bother me, I've shot and held a gen 4 and held a gen 2 at the shop. I like the rail because this will be my hd gun and I'd like to have the option of mounting a light.

G19 NO DOUBT! There are dealers who will take the rounds of ammo and do a trade in deal but most will try to squeeze you and few will give much for the ammo. best bet, go in and ask what they will give you for SR etc... then ask what they will give you in trade 2nd. Don't tell them your full plan until they give you a dollar amount.

G19 NO DOUBT! There are dealers who will take the rounds of ammo and do a trade in deal but most will try to squeeze you and few will give much for the ammo. best bet, go in and ask what they will give you for SR etc... then ask what they will give you in trade 2nd. Don't tell them your full plan until they give you a dollar amount.
I like the way you think, kid. I didn't realize everyone thought the 19 was that far above the 23. Being able to swap barrels and mags seems valuable to me, but I get what everyone is saying.

Glock 19 all the way!

There are billions of rounds of 9mm.

More fun to shoot.
More accurate for most people.
Won't blow up.
Cheaper.
No less lethal.

Up to 17 rounds in a G17 mag.

I saw a gen 4 in ma on a fb classifieds page for 550 today, I'm glad the bank was closed.

Whew when I saw the title I figured this was a go fund me thread.

Become a Green member here, sell the gun and ammo separately in the classifieds, live happily ever after.

Sell your your stuff outright you will do better. Dealers don't give deals when buying from you. They will make money on your gun and the one you buy from them.

Then get the 19 of your choice I have a Gen 3 and am happy with it.

For the record, they are not handloads - all ammo I bought at Walmart or dicks all in original factory boxes (i think)

- - - Updated - - -

Grooves don't bother me, I've shot and held a gen 4 and held a gen 2 at the shop. I like the rail because this will be my hd gun and I'd like to have the option of mounting a light.

Mags,

9mm are much more valuable due to demand.

Many 40 owners are cops so they don't care to use pre ban.

I would go with the 19,I would also try to sell the gun on my own.It's all up to how bad,and fast you want the other gun.

Sell your your stuff outright you will do better. Dealers don't give deals when buying from you. They will make money on your gun and the one you buy from them.

This as he says. The value of your SR45 is probably about $400. A dealer will probably offer no more than $250 and as the above post says, the dealer makes money on your trade in and money on your purchase.

You're better off selling privately then using the cash to buy whatever, dealers aren't going to give you crap for that gun when they have a pile of new ones in the back.

You're better off selling privately then using the cash to buy whatever, dealers aren't going to give you crap for that gun when they have a pile of new ones in the back.

this. you will not get a great offer from a dealer, and forget trading in ammo. try to trade ammo to a dealer and you'll end up getting laughed out of the shop.

dump the SR45, get the G19. they are good guns.

I would go with the 19,I would also try to sell the gun on my own.It's all up to how bad,and fast you want the other gun.

This all the way. You can find a gen3 G19 for a reasonable price. You just need to have patience and check the classified here on a regular basis.

G19 gen 4- Love it! Great gun, low maintenance, reliable, eats everything you throw at it, and is comfortable. YMMV. Good luck! [grin]

Another for the selling outright camp. I traded a bit early on until I realized how easy it is to sell privately these days. The dealer will probably offer you half or less than what he'll put it out for, at least from what I've seen. I'll keep a gun until it sells or forever if it doesn't, but I'll never trade to a dealer again. Good luck!

The time has come for a new gun and with it comes new questions. I'm planning on getting either a gen3/4 g19 or g23.
It's a lot to consider and I thought I would toss this one up to the wise minds of nes.

Disclaimer: my new gun will be a carry piece, range gun, and home defender.

Either model will serve your purposes as an all-purpose firearm. As you indicated, you can buy a 9mm conversion barrel for the G23 or a complete G19 slide to use on the G23 frame. If you live in MA, there are probably more pre-ban G19 magazines than G17 mags available, but expect to pay a big premium on them. Even u-notch G19 mags are selling for upwards of $80, although there is one on Gunbroker now with an asking price of $50 (no bids) and $90 to $100 (or more) for a square notch mag. Same with G17 mags, but I rarely see a square-notch G19/G17 pre-ban mags anymore. A pre-ban square notch G23 mag is more reasonable in price at about $60 - $75 depending on the condition, while a u-notch generally sells for $60 or less. G22 mags used to be reasonable, but they are climbing in price as well. As they become more scarce, the price continues to climb on all Glock pre-ban mags.

If you intend to buy a Glock pre-ban mag off Gunbroker, make sure that the Seller will ship to MA. Not all Sellers will ship to MA, and those that do, will ask you to send a copy of your LTC-A to them, especially if it is a FFL.

Last edited:
Either model will serve your purposes as an all-purpose firearm. As you indicated, you can buy a 9mm conversion barrel for the G23 or a complete G19 slide to use on the G23 frame. If you live in MA, there are probably more pre-ban G19 magazines than G17 mags available, but expect to pay a big premium on them. Even u-notch G19 mags are selling for upwards of $80, although there is one on Gunbroker now with an asking price of $50 (no bids) and $90 to $100 (or more) for a square notch mag. Same with G17 mags, but I rarely see a square-notch G19/G17 pre-ban mags anymore. A pre-ban square notch G23 mag is more reasonable in price at about $60 - $75 depending on the condition, while a u-notch generally sells for $60 or less. G22 mags used to be reasonable, but they are climbing in price as well. As they become more scarce, the price continues to climb on all Glock pre-ban mags.

If you intend to buy a Glock pre-ban mag off Gunbroker, make sure that the Seller will ship to MA. Not all Sellers will ship to MA, and those that do, will ask you to send a copy of your LTC-A to them, especially if it is a FFL.
Thanks for the tips!

The .32 S&W is underrated - or NOT.

It is reported (by some), that the .32 was responsible for more deaths than any other Caliber anytime before WWI.

The answer is simple - although most deaths were not instantaneous, the complications and infections were usually fatal. OUCH.

This was a time when surgery was not what it is today, and Penicillin was not yet discovered.

Deaths were slow, painful, and certain.

One thing is still for sure - the recipient of a .32 slug is a not happy fellow.

But just try to buy a modern .32 S&W Firearm - ain't gonna' be easy.

Kinda an aside but why the interest in the 19 over the sr?

Not being inside the OPs head, I can only guess, but cheaper ammo(9mm), more concealable, and better availability of aftermarket parts would be the big 3 for me. Every stock SR series pistol I've shot had a better trigger than any stock Glock I've ever shot, but that wouldn't be enough for me to stick with it given the cheap and available upgrades for the G. All that being said, it's too bad Ma makes it so difficult, and getting a Sprinfield XDm (full size or compact) is very difficult and expensive; there is another great pistol in the large capacity 9mm realm.

The .32 S&W is underrated - or NOT.

It is reported (by some), that the .32 was responsible for more deaths than any other Caliber anytime before WWI.

The answer is simple - although most deaths were not instantaneous, the complications and infections were usually fatal. OUCH.

This was a time when surgery was not what it is today, and Penicillin was not yet discovered.

Deaths were slow, painful, and certain.

One thing is still for sure - the recipient of a .32 slug is a not happy fellow.

But just try to buy a modern .32 S&W Firearm - ain't gonna' be easy.

Thanks for the relevant post.

Kinda an aside but why the interest in the 19 over the sr?
A few factors: 9mm (and 40) is cheaper than 45, there are a metric ton more accessories for glock pistols than the sr45 (there are a lot for the 9/40, but 45 gets left out a lot), the sr is a little bit bigger and heavier than I can carry all day comfortably, ability to accept pre ban mags of varying sizes, and most importantly glocks emit the pleasant odour of edelweiss since they're Austrian. Rugers smell like southport Connecticut.

- - - Updated - - -

Non reloads dont matter, dealers wont buy ammo from you unless its a factory sealed case of ammo.

Back
Top Bottom