• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HELP! M&P 40 CCW Holster

So I did a search and didn't find the best answer to my problem so I figured it was worth presenting my question to the forum.

I have an M&P40 full-size, which I purchased with the mindset that this would be my CCW. I have since purchased a Galco soft IWB holster, which works "ok" but I bought it to for the sake of buying a holster and I know there is a better one out there. Then I bought an Uncle Mikes Law Enforcement Super Belt Slide Holster (OWB). Again not a horrible holster, but I do not feel I am concealing well enough. Admitedly I was not using the "best" belt for the job

Ideally I don't want to go buy larger pants just to carry IWB. This is why I bought the OWB. I don't like how I print with the OWB, so I went back to the IWB, but only have one pair of jeans that it works with.

My questions: (ranked based on $$$)
1 - Who has an M&P40 FS that they CCW and what holster do you use?
2 - Am I wasting my time trying to find an OWB and should I just deal with having to buy new pants to utilize an IWB?
3 - Am I trying to conceal too difficult of a gun and should I consider buying/trading for a M&P40c?

I would like to have a holster that if I go somewhere where firearms are "restricted" ie schools, post office, etc. I could remove the gun and lock it in my vehicle and not worry about what an empty holster might appear like. I may be asking too much, but clearly I am not helping myself any by buying holsters and "assuming" they will be fine.

Things I have looked at: Cross Breed SuperTuck, Comp-tac MTAC, Blackhawk Serpa

I have both an M&P 40 full size and an M&P 40 Compact. Here are some of my observations:

The Full size is a much nicer gun to shoot. It feels great in my hand, and balances nicely. I can shoot my full size much better than I can my compact. However, the compact conceals like a dream and is perfect for practical shooting (not a target gun).
I use a Crossbreed Supertuck which accomidates both pistols and, I am extremely happy with it. I can, and have worn it in excess of 24, yes 24 hours at a time without the least bit of discomfort. I often carry the compact wearing a form fitting Medium T-Shirt without any concern. Carrying the fullsize isnt quite as easy to conceal but its not a problem with second shirt or sweatshirt on.

I highly recomend that you pick up a supertuck for your m&p. It will be like a night and day difference. Even if you find that the full size doesn't conceal well enough, you can use it with an M&P compact. (Use Code: NRA for a 10% discount)

Looks like you are just about confirming my gut. I have heard good things about the CrossBreed but wanted to hear about it from an M&P owner to make sure I would not be wasting my time. the NRA discount? is that for ordering a holster from Crossbreed directly?

Overall I am not a "tiny" guy, but I'm not Andre the giant by any stretch. I am about as tall as Tom Cruise and have the build of the late Billy Mays. So I dont know if my size is the root of my concealment issues or what not.

the NRA discount? is that for ordering a holster from Crossbreed directly?

Yes it is. I ordered mine on a Tuesday and had it at my house on Friday. Their customer service is 2nd to none.

Also their products are guarenteed for life and come with a 2 week trial period, so if you arn't happy with it for any reason, just send it back.

"Once you receive your holster you have two weeks to try it out, if it doesn't work for you, simply give us a ring and we will buy it back. Even after your two-week-try-it-free period is over, the holster still carries a lifetime warranty and we will repair or replace it as long as you own it if it fails you in any way under normal use."

My questions: (ranked based on $$$)
1 - Who has an M&P40 FS that they CCW and what holster do you use?
2 - Am I wasting my time trying to find an OWB and should I just deal with having to buy new pants to utilize an IWB?
3 - Am I trying to conceal too difficult of a gun and should I consider buying/trading for a M&P40c?

1- I carry mine sometimes. Usually I carry my sig p229 which is harder to conceal IMO than the M&P. It's a little shorter, but chunkier. I use primarily the Comp-Tac MTAC IWB rig. It's the balls. I hide guns under just a t shirt.

2- OWB is ok if it works for you. That's what's important, not what we think. How well does it conceal and how comfortable is it? Nothing else matters really.

3 - No. It's not that bad of a gun to conceal but conceability depends on your body type.

I strongly recommend the MTAC IWB. I have one for both my carry guns.

My waste size is somewhere between 34 and 36 (depending on the line of clothing, and how much I've been excersizing) and I carry IWB-only. I buy my pants in 36 to allow for the extra bulk of IWB. I've been wearing the same belt since I was 14 years old. [laugh] Seriously. It's 1.5" wide, thick and rigid, and I have several different buckle holes in it depening on what gun I'm carrying, or if I'm even carrying at all. Of course, the buckle holes have gotten progressively further towards the end over the last 16 years. [grin]. (My father gave me that belt so it's got sentimental value.)

Finding the right belt is key here. But yeah you might have to buy some pants a tad bigger. Or consider it an incentive to lose a little weight! [wink]

I have 2 crossbreed holsters. I carry G27 in one and full size 1911 in the other. I think you just have to adjust your clothing to what you are planning on carrying.
The other thing is get a good gun belt. I bought my from Crossbreed it's a very tough belt. Sometimes I feel sorry for all it has to hold up[wink].

so far it looks like 2 votes for the cross breed and 3 votes for the mtac. Anyone out there have both and can provide a comparison? Clip structure and strenght? Kydex/Leather/Cowhide/Horsehide when an undershirt is not an option? Stay put during strenous activity?

This is a big decision for me. Because I am determined to wear very regularly once I get this holster so I want long term comfort and performance even under some activities that a bit more involved than a casual stroll.

I have had the following M&P holsters"

Lobo Gunleather IWB: ended up in the box of holsters

Kirkpatrick Leather Hidden Defense: box o' holsters

Comp Tac CTAC: works OK but digs into me

K&D Holsters Cochise Defender: same as CTAC because of the plastic clips.

I do have a Crossbreed Supertuck for a S&W revolver. The thing is a piece of shit.

I finally found the M&P holster that I can wear all day, every day and not worry about discomfort and printing:

FIST #20

DSC00610.jpg

This thing is amazing. Once the leather broke in, it became magically comfortable and will not let a full size M&P print unless you twist yourself into a pretzel.

My daughter attends gymnastics classes in a gym that has a very small and crowded observation room. Today that room was packed to the gills with sheeple MILFs and not a once even noticed the pistol and magazine I was wearing under my untucked shirt.

I only carry my M&P compact when circumstances demand extreme caution against being made. Otherwise, I carry my full size everywhere and all the time.

Check out Nick Matthews #1. www.nm-holsters.com Similar design to the one Jose posted but with a more severe cant. I have an M-tac but this one is more comfortable. It's for my Glock 26 but I did own a full size M&P at one time. I had the C-tac slide for the M&P and, though it concealed pretty well, I didn't like how the kydex dug into me.

I also have a full-size M&P 40 and use a Supertuck with a belt from The Beltman. I can carry all day, and often do with just a T-shirt over.

About your comment "when an undershirt is not an option," well, it's always an option. You may just be choosing not to exercise it. :)

I usually wear a "tough guy" tank undershirt (my friend calls them "wife-beater" shirts) even under a regular T-shirt as I find it more comfortable, even in the summer.

Check out Nick Matthews #1. www.nm-holsters.com Similar design to the one Jose posted but with a more severe cant. I have an M-tac but this one is more comfortable. It's for my Glock 26 but I did own a full size M&P at one time. I had the C-tac slide for the M&P and, though it concealed pretty well, I didn't like how the kydex dug into me.

One of the things I like about the FIST 20 is that it is adjustable for cant. Many holsters cant the gun way too much for me. I am not a big guy, so if the gun is canted fwd too much (> 10 - 15 deg) the back end of the slide prints through my shirt something fierce.

I also have a full-size M&P 40 and use a Supertuck with a belt from The Beltman. I can carry all day, and often do with just a T-shirt over.

About your comment "when an undershirt is not an option," well, it's always an option. You may just be choosing not to exercise it. :)

I usually wear a "tough guy" tank undershirt (my friend calls them "wife-beater" shirts) even under a regular T-shirt as I find it more comfortable, even in the summer.
Agree. After ten years in the .mil, wearing undershirts every waking moment even during the hottest, most humid days, it now feels wrong to wear a shirt without one.

Not wearing an undershirt makes carrying a concealed pistol unbearable to me.

I like the idea of all leather, but how good is the retention? Also, how is the retention on the kydex portions of the super tuck and m-tac? I have heard the supertuck has some retention issues and needs to be remolded to your particular firearm before you get the full effect. Is there any truth to this? Any experience with having to remold the m-tac or the all leather fist?

I like the idea of all leather, but how good is the retention?
It varies from holster maker to holster maker. FIST holsters are TIGHT when they get to you. So much so that you cannot insert a semi auto without the slide going out of battery. They are made that way on purpose to allow for break in and individual adjustment of retention.

Also, how is the retention on the kydex portions of the m-tac?
While I don't have an MTAC, I do have a CTAC and its retention is perfect right out of the box and easily adjustable.

I have heard the supertuck has some retention issues and needs to be remolded to your particular firearm before you get the full effect. Is there any truth to this?
There is a LOT of truth to that. The Supertuck I bought for a S&W revolver had a ridge molded around the opening at the top. That ridge would snap over the back of the cylinder and made it nearly impossible to draw the pistol cleanly and without a struggle. It is an extremely POOR substitute for properly molding the kydex around the gun. If you grind off that ridge, as I did, you will lose all retention and will have to waste time carefully heating the plastic and remolding it around the gun to get some retention back.

Any experience with having to remold the all leather fist?
The way I break in tight leather holsters is as follows. I first oil and wrap the pistol in cling wrap. I then run tap water at full hot, then soak the inside of the holster until the leather starts to soften slightly. Shake the water off the holster, dry the outside with a towel, and stick the pistol wrapped in plastic into the holster. Sit aside for a few hours, then remove the pistol and let the holster air dry completely. Unwrap the pistol, dry, and re-oil to prevent rust.

Once the holster is completely dry, try the pistol in and out about twenty times, checking the retention level as you go.

Some holster makers mold the leather into the trigger guard and into the ejection port to enhance retention. Those features can be adjusted or eliminated by pushing out on them from the inside while the holster is still wet and pliable. You can also increase retention later on as the holster loosens by rewetting and remolding around the gun, particularly into the trigger guard and ejection port.

FIST holsters can also be ordered with a compression screw near the trigger guard to tighten retention as the holster ages.

I had a full sized M&P in 9 that I carried with a Cop-Tac IWB. It was about the 4th holster I tried and the first one that actually sorta worked but I had to cant it WAY forward. The issue I had was with the grip - the M&P full size has one that sticks down pretty far. Eventually I sold the gun and bought a SIG P239 which I carry in an MTAC IWB. At its worst, it looks like a cell-phone bulge

So it looks like I am down to the Mtac and now the FIST. Apparently I am not allowed to buy it for myself either because my gf caught wind of my endeavor and demanded that I decide on an item and let her buy it for christmas.

This was honestly the first I have heard of FIST, I am familiar with several other brands, but I was not familair with FIST.

Has anyone else ever dealt with the FIST?

Jose, you seem to have a lot of knowledge about holsters. I'm having the same problem that you described with your CTAC. It digs in, especially when I'm sitting. What holster do you use when you carry your full size pistol? I suppose that the digging in thing is caused by it being kydex, so do you normally carry in leather?

zep, I have almost eliminated my use of kydex holsters for various reasons.

I do still have three CTACs but don't use them very much any more, except for my 637, for which I only have a CTAC since it is my least carried pistol.

In my experience the two biggest pinch points on the CTAC are the bottom of the clips (anything south of the attachment screw) and the tip of the sweat shield. Once you set the ride height and cant to your liking you can trim and round off the excess clip so that it doesn't poke you when you sit or move. Same thing for the sweat shield.

The ohther major irritant are the little nutserts for the various screws that hold the holster together and anchor the belt clips. Cover them up with moleskin on the side that faces you.

That said, here are the leather holster I use for my pistols

K&D Holsters Cochise Defender for M&P9c (also fits full size). They are sadly no longer in business.
MPCochiseDefender.jpg

Same for S&W Third Generation (5906/5946/4006/915/etc) and S&W K frame
P1010021.jpg

Notice how far down the clips stick? I have since cut them down.

FIST #20 for M&P9. Once broken in, the most comfortable leather IWB holster I have ever tried.
DSC00610.jpg

O'Rourke Leather pancake for M&P
DSC00489.jpg

I am looking at the FIST 20 for my new Kimber 3" 1911 - any thoughts anyone? I like my crossbreed supertuck on my Sig because it protects my skin from the gun - does the Fist 20 have anything on the skin side to protect you or is this going to be a you need to wear an undershirt?

I wish I could combine the two and make one holster like the Fist 20 with a flap that extends up.

Edit: I just noticed I can add a body protector for $8

Only thing is it looks like the 1911's sit high in the fist 20 IWB

Last edited:
I am looking at the FIST 20 for my new Kimber 3" 1911 - any thoughts anyone? I like my crossbreed supertuck on my Sig because it protects my skin from the gun - does the Fist 20 have anything on the skin side to protect you or is this going to be a you need to wear an undershirt?

I wish I could combine the two and make one holster like the Fist 20 with a flap that extends up.

Edit: I just noticed I can add a body protector for $8

Only thing is it looks like the 1911's sit high in the fist 20 IWB

Yeah, I just ordered a Fist #20 with the body protector. I almost always wear an undershirt, but if anything is going to press into my side, I'd rather it be leather than metal.

Jose should get some store credit or something for referrals.

I have both an M&P 40 full size and an M&P 40 Compact. Here are some of my observations:

The Full size is a much nicer gun to shoot. It feels great in my hand, and balances nicely. I can shoot my full size much better than I can my compact. However, the compact conceals like a dream and is perfect for practical shooting (not a target gun).
I use a Crossbreed Supertuck which accomidates both pistols and, I am extremely happy with it. I can, and have worn it in excess of 24, yes 24 hours at a time without the least bit of discomfort. I often carry the compact wearing a form fitting Medium T-Shirt without any concern. Carrying the fullsize isnt quite as easy to conceal but its not a problem with second shirt or sweatshirt on.

I highly recomend that you pick up a supertuck for your m&p. It will be like a night and day difference. Even if you find that the full size doesn't conceal well enough, you can use it with an M&P compact. (Use Code: NRA for a 10% discount)
Ditto to what Jon said, I carry both in the same holster, which was purchased after he suggested it, you will not be disappointed. The full size definitely conceals just fine in the crossbreed in the winter time with a jacket/sweatshirt, but it is a bit harder to conceal in the warmer months.

Back
Top Bottom