Help! Live round stuck in the chamber!

F2386

NES Member
Hey NES, I recently picked up a gen 4 G17 from another NES'er. I went to the range today and got off approximately 8 rounds before I experienced what I thought was a simple failure to feed. I tried to rack the slide but it would only move the slightest bit. I dropped the magazine and tried to rack the slide again but no such luck. The slide is stuck about 1/4 inch back. My friend, who witnessed all this happen, tried to clear the jam as well but to no avail. We used as much force as we could dare because we're almost certain that the round is live. We eventually stopped screwing with it and decided we need some professional help.

So, fellow NES'ers, which gunsmith would you recommend for solving this kind of issue? I live just outside of Boston so hopefully I can find someone local. Thanks for the help!

Fred

P.S. For those who are interested, I was using factory American Eagle 115gr FMJ's in a U-notched pre-ban magazine.

Attachments

• G17B.jpg
    G17B.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 197
  • G17A.jpg
    G17A.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Fred,
Grasp the slide as tight as you can. (Like you are trying to rack it)

Then with an open palm whack/ palm the slide foreward. You may end up wacking the gun out of your hand.

Obviously safe direction etc applies.

View attachment 20718

Last edited:
You could also place the front sight against something keeping the muzzle clear, like the edge of a table and push down on the reciver/pistol grip.The area of metal on the slide just below the front sight and above the barrel is also good if the gun has the crappy cheap stock Glock sights. If its got steel sights it wont matter.

Last edited:
I had the same experience with a g23. The combination of a lone wolf barrel and store bought reloads was to blame. It happened a couple of times before I decided not to use the ammo with that barrel.
I found I was better off getting the gun to close completely and then discharging the round. In order to do that you need to smack the back of the slide with your palm or something more. Maybe a rubber mallet.
Obviously you need to be damn sure about everything you're doing. Particularly about the direction of the muzzle.

The extractor is most likely stuck against a cartridge that has firmly wedged itself inside the chamber. Keeping the gun pointed in a safe direction, lay it on it's left side with the ejection port facing up. Lift the extractor edge with a small flat blade screwdriver and the slide should go backwards. Lock the slide back and then extract the bad round. This may not, in fact, be what's wrong with the gun, but my buddy's gen 1 G17 did this exact same thing at the range last weekend, and I've seen it happen with a Sig 226 as well.

You didn't just smash the s**t out of it up against a bench? (with finger off the trigger, obviously) That's what I usually do... put the corner of the slide on a shooting bench and put all your body weight on the gun, it'll usually come right out. I've never had to do this with a Glock, though. (Only ever 1911s with some bad reloads). If this really is with AE 115 gr ammo, I'd be taking pictures of that crap and I'd be pretty pissed at Federal and sending them a nasty letter. AE is
supposed to be premo grade practice ammo.

-Mike

it's a glock... aren't they disposable anyway?

Yes, they are all disposable. Just bring all your Glocks to me with FA-10s and I will dispose of them for you for free. If you have more than 4 I'll pay for the transfers. [rofl]

-Mike

You could also place the front sight against something keeping the muzzle clear, like the edge of a table and push down on the reciver/pistol grip .

That's a great way to shear the front sight off. Especially if it is a stock Glock front sight.

Hahaha... I swear, NES'ers know everything and anything. I sprayed a ton of Rem Oil down the barrel and let it sit for a bit. Pointing my G17 in a safe direction, I grasped the slide and smacked the back of the grip as hard as I could and viola! Out came the round. Upon inspection, I can clearly see that something is wrong with it. A good portion of the cartridge's rim appears to be shaved off (it looks like an elongated "U"). I can also see the outline of the bottom of the bullet against the upper part of the cartridge. Lastly, when I try to put this round into the barrel, it only fits halfway in.

Was this simply a defective round or is there something else at play here? I'd post pictures but my camera is out of commission at the moment.

Fred

Hahaha... I swear, NES'ers know everything and anything. I sprayed a ton of Rem Oil down the barrel and let it sit for a bit. Pointing my G17 in a safe direction, I grasped the slide and smacked the back of the grip as hard as I could and viola! Out came the round. Upon inspection, I can clearly see that something is wrong with it. A good portion of the cartridge's rim appears to be shaved off (it looks like an elongated "U"). I can also see the outline of the bottom of the bullet against the upper part of the cartridge. Lastly, when I try to put this round into the barrel, it only fits halfway in.

Was this simply a defective round or is there something else at play here? I'd post pictures but my camera is out of commission at the moment.

Fred
Chicken or egg, sometimes the round gets deformed because of poor feeding and sometimes the round misfeeds because it was deformed.

If it does not clear the feed ramp (weak spring in mag and/or dirty mag), then it catches the case mouth on the lower portion of the feed ramp and the slide comes along and between brass and steel, "you loose that fight 9 times out of ten my friend." [wink]

If the round was too long, or the case mouth malformed, it could catch in the same way.

Its a Glock they Self Clear all jams by themselves . Just place it on the ground and wait for it to explode , simple really end of problem.

9's are not generally known for fail to feed problems, that is more a for-tay problem.

I'm real interested in the outcome of this

The problem was resolved. It appears to be due to either a defective AE 115gr round or a feeding issue with an old pre-ban magazine. Looking at the round, it appears to have been deformed to begin with. It only fits halfway into the chamber because it gets too big towards the bottom of the cartridge.

9's are not generally known for fail to feed problems, that is more a for-tay problem.

I'm real interested in the outcome of this

most likely a defective round. This exact malfunction showed up on somebody's Glock 19 at a training course I was at over the weekend.

Slide locked up tight. Solution was to brace the gun on something solid using the rear sight and smack firmly to dislodge. The defective round (Remington UMC) had a U-shaped lip on the top of the case.

most likely a defective round. This exact malfunction showed up on somebody's Glock 19 at a training course I was at over the weekend.
If pre-ban mags were not involved, I'd agree. That they were makes it more of a 50/50 arrangement. Even the later mentioned deformation of the rear of the case could be explained by the bad mag...

Regardless, the springs in the pre-ban mag should be replaced if they have not been and watch out for bad ammo, its out there... [wink]

Back
Top Bottom