• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help - Linear Compensator (MA Compliant)

Hello, hope everyone is doing well.
I would really appreciate some quick help picking a "range-friendly" linear compensator on a 16" MCX Virtus please. Specifically one that is MA legal (not flash suppressor).

Would either
1) BRT Covert Comp or
2) the KVP Linear Compensator be good options for this in MA?

Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks for the help! It's much appreciated : )

I've seen the KVP, not familiar with BRT. Neither are flash suppressors, therefore you are good to go in Mass with either one.

Are you dead set on linear? Yeah it's nice for others at the range but guns are loud, so get what you really want and enjoy. You will get a million "Tastes Great! Less Filling!" arguments regarding which comp is best, but for what it's worth the best ones I have shot (and now own) are the VG6 Gamma and the Strike Industries Cookie Cutter. Note that the Cookie Cutter is insanely loud, however.

I have the BRT as an extension on a 14.5” pre-ban build (it’s a flash suppressor + Linnear comp - works ‘ok’ at both applications) and KVP on post bans.
I like the KVP, it reduces the concussion a lot for the shooter vs using a brake (Especially if you have a roof above you/wall next to you)

Hello, hope everyone is doing well.
I would really appreciate some quick help picking a "range-friendly" linear compensator on a 16" MCX Virtus please. Specifically one that is MA legal (not flash suppressor).

Would either
1) BRT Covert Comp or
2) the KVP Linear Compensator be good options for this in MA?

Any advice or suggestions?
Thanks for the help! It's much appreciated : )

A linear comp is basically a muzzle protector. It doesn't reduce recoil, muzzle rise or flash.

IMHO, even in MA there are better options. Sure its quieter than a real brake/comp.

But its going to be loud no matter what. There are real comps that aren't terribly offensive or the comps made by Kinetitech or Ferfranz that offer a shroud that reduces the blast compared to a bare comp.

(The Ferfranz CRD has been discontinued but is still available if you google it. Here's a link to a review: FERFRANS CRD Modular Muzzle Brake Review - BlackSheepWarrior.Com)

Thanks! What comps would you recommend that would be range/hunting friendly?

A linear comp is basically a muzzle protector. It doesn't reduce recoil, muzzle rise or flash.

IMHO, even in MA there are better options. Sure its quieter than a real brake/comp.

But its going to be loud no matter what. There are real comps that aren't terribly offensive or the comps made by Kinetitech or Ferfranz that offer a shroud that reduces the blast compared to a bare comp.

(The Ferfranz CRD has been discontinued but is still available if you google it. Here's a link to a review: FERFRANS CRD Modular Muzzle Brake Review - BlackSheepWarrior.Com)

I'm not sure about the legality of that in Mass - do the threads count as a threaded barrel?
If not, why?
I’d be curious about this too! I thought I read only the barrel couldn’t be threaded, but the muzzle device could be. If that’s true, this is REALLY a stupid law. So maybe it is lol

I'm not sure about the legality of that in Mass - do the threads count as a threaded barrel?
If not, why?

The law says a flash hider or threaded barrel to accomodate one. So its fine.
1) its not the barrel that is threaded.
2) you can not screw a flash hider onto these threads.

Its a comp. pure and simple. "permanently affix" it to the barrel using on of the 3 methods the ATF approves of (There is no guidance in MA on how to do this, so taking Fed guidance is your best bet) and this is not a threaded bbl

I’d be curious about this too! I thought I read only the barrel couldn’t be threaded, but the muzzle device could be. If that’s true, this is REALLY a stupid law. So maybe it is lol
The language of the law references the attachment of a flash hider as the purpose of the threaded bbl. So its kind of logical. Either way. Threading a comp to receive a shroud is not a problem.

As an aside. CT's old AWB was for all intents and purposes the same as MA. (with a few very minor differences). As such, threaded bbls were prohibited if you wanted to have other evil features. However, silencers ARE legal in CT. So it was pretty typical for CT residents who wanted to maintain compliance to permanently affix a brake as part of a system with a silencer. Most of these used some kind of very coarse threading on the brake to provide a quick attach for the silencer. (Surefire and Sig come quickly to mind)

Last edited:
Thanks! What comps would you recommend that would be range/hunting friendly?

There really is no comp that is at all effective that is range/hunting friendly. Though when I had a SCAR I found the PWS comp that came with it to not be too bad. Its simple physics, a comp strips off gas, exiting the muzzle at somewhere between 5000 psi and 20,000 psi (depending on the length of the bbl) and directs it out and sometimes back.

The more gas it "grabs" and the more back it directs the gas the more effective it is.
An interesting data point here is the SJC Lund Titan comp that I own. This is a very large effective comp that is popular in 3 gun. At one point out of curiosity I put it on a 10" SBR. The big comp combined with the very high uncorking pressures with an SBR (the gasses are at a higher pressure when the bullet leaves the bbl than on a gun with a longer bbl) resulted in the muzzle actually DEPRESSING every time I pulled the trigger. It was crazy. I had to actually lift it back up on target.

The ability to switch from a reasonably effective brake to something that is quieter than a plain muzzle is why I really like the KinetiTech system with the shroud.

If I'm going to generalize, a smaller single port comp is going to be less loud and less effective than a large multiport comp.

I own one of the Kinetitech muzzle devices. Its an earlier version with a less well engineered brake that works ok. Adding the shroud though DEFINITELY quiets things down to something less than a a bare muzzle.

Don

p.s. This is the older version I have in both .223 and .30. You can see that the brake isn't really an engineered device. the one I linked to above should be much more effective.
Kineti-Tech Muzzle Brake with Concussion/Redirector Sleeve

Back
Top Bottom