• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help identifying some old shotguns

mrmags

Banned
View attachment 124292I dont know alot about shotguns or older ones for that matter, so i bring my questions you fine gun buffs!
I aquired a few shotguns from a great uncle. 2 appear to be very old and 2 i can identify and are from the early 60's
there is a J.C. Higgins semi auto 12 gauge-multi choke
also a mossberg 190-16 gauge bolt action-multi choke
Now for the money!!!
i have one double barrel marked Lefever
and one double barrel with no markings except (machine made)

Last edited:
The Lefever is probably the most valuable of the bunch. Determine the condition, barrel length, chokes and find all the markings you can. You'll be able to determine the model off the serial number - it may even be on the sideplate engraving.

The Sears gun will have a model number on it somewhere something like:
Or a similar code - that will be the code you use to determine the manufacturer/model. A lot of makers made "hardware store" guns. Wards, Sears, etc.

The hammer gun is probably a wall hanger but it's worth trying to find more markings to get more info - proof marks, etc will be clues as to where it was made. Remove the forearm and open the barrels - it should separate at that point and the watertable will have markings as well as the underside of the barrels.

good luck and keep us posted

Thanks all. I have lots of info on 3 out of 4. Going to break down the unknown double today to see what its marked with
i found the Lefever specs. Is a ds grade with a low serial. But not the greatest shape. Thanks everyone for your help. Ill post some more pics and details later

Back
Top Bottom