• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help identifying an old percussion rifle

daveshrews

NES Member
This is an old percussion rifle (I think?) that I found at my parent’s house. The only markings I can find anywhere are “LH”, and I haven’t been able to find what that means. The rifle most likely came from the VA / WV/ KY area if that helps.

Does anyone have any tips on identifying the rifle, the approximate age, or the approximate value? Thanks!

Dave EC72154B-84FB-4A28-B98D-01935837BA17.jpeg 5DC41952-2BEB-42A5-8F33-619109E5F480.jpeg 71B5D40E-5CAC-4A73-8A9D-C589D9963A37.jpeg

Nice find!
How’s the bore?
Is the nipple removable?
Thanks! The barrel is pretty dusty but I don’t see any obvious signs of rust or anything. I’m going to get a good light to check it out soon. The rifle has been stored in a pretty well climate-controlled room so it seems to be in pretty good shape.

It almost looks like the nipple could be removable but I’m a little nervous to mess with it too much. Do they unscrew or come out a different way? I’ll take a closer look in a bit and report back.

Drop a nickel plated case down the barrel and use a flashlight. It refracts well inside and you’ll have a better idea. If the ram rod is with it, check if there is a mark on the end. Some people leave a mark on it to indicate it’s still loaded.

Back
Top Bottom