• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Help Identify this Safe

Most safes like that are rated for a certain length of time in regards to burn through. I bought a safe a couple of years ago it was a Champion Victory model not cheap but it sounds about the same dimensions and weight. I think it was rated to 1300 degrees for 3 or 4 hours can't remember which. How much are you paying? Mine was $1400.00 new

Most safes like that are rated for a certain length of time in regards to burn through. I bought a safe a couple of years ago it was a Champion Victory model not cheap but it sounds about the same dimensions and weight. I think it was rated to 1300 degrees for 3 or 4 hours can't remember which. How much are you paying? Mine was $1400.00 new

Well I didn't want to post any prices so I wouldn't skew any opinions on it. Thanks for the info, I was trying to match the Eagle shown on the front with a model but none of the ones I have tried to research look like that. Maybe it's just a sticker that he put on that's throwing me off [thinking]

The pic from the OP doesn't look like any current Cannon safe. Note that all pics on their website (for safes matching anything similar in height) have either a 3 or 5 spoke handle in the center of the door. This may be an older model.

As for an opinion you asked for, I would contact the seller and have him send you the exact model number and then contact Cannon ( http://www.cannonsafe.com/contact/ or 1-800-222-1055). I would ask them for a spec sheet and the original MSRP.

Good luck making your decision.

The pic from the OP doesn't look like any current Cannon safe. Note that all pics on their website (for safes matching anything similar in height) have either a 3 or 5 spoke handle in the center of the door. This may be an older model.

As for an opinion you asked for, I would contact the seller and have him send you the exact model number and then contact Cannon ( http://www.cannonsafe.com/contact/ or 1-800-222-1055). I would ask them for a spec sheet and the original MSRP.

Good luck making your decision.

Thanks Blackhorse

Cannon makes models specifically for some big box (and club) stores. The currently offered Cannon EX20 at Costco's doesn't show up on Cannon's website either.

I'd also check that it has throw-bolts that go out all four sides . . . seems that many safes skip the top and bottom, leaving them vulnerable to attack.

When you buy a safe from anywhere or buy a house from anyone, it pays off to change the combo/locks for your own protection. Simple insurance. Changing the combo on a S&G combo lock is a very simple process, even a caveman can do it. [smile] S&G's website gives instructions and the special key should come from the safe owner (or can be obtained from S&G, Cannon or local locksmith).

As for the tinfoil crowd: If I felt that the seller would be following me home, checking my plates, etc. I'd simply not do business with them. Otherwise, I wouldn't be checking my rear-view mirror every hundred feet.

The weight tells you a lot - at 720 lbs, it's in the "gun safe" category, well above the homac/stack on cabinets, but nothing you would ever get an insurance rating for a jewelery store. At that weight, I would expect 10 or 12 gauge, which is standard (some premium gun safes use 7 gauge or even thicker).

The lock is probably an S&G Group II (or possibly a II-m), in which case, ordering a combination change key should be very easy. Doing it yourself is not a big task - just learn about the forbidden zone, and try the new combination at least 5 times before closing the safe.

You can generally find the model of the lock by taking the inside panel off the door and looking at the lock mechanism.

It wasn't me (I've got mine) but it only took about 30 seconds to find the ad from the info you provided. [thinking]

I know, it's been on craigslist for about a month with no takers and now as soon as I showed it, within a half hour someone said they'de take it. Well I'm pretty pissed at myself. I've been looking for a safe with the right dimensions that I could afford for about 6mo now[angry] Maxed out the first and had to stop buying until we found one

I found the ad in about a minute too with a google search. I wouldn't buy it out from under you nor do I have the space for it. Price didn't seem bad but I hesitate to buy anything like that where you can find the same brand at sams club.

I found the ad in about a minute too with a google search. I wouldn't buy it out from under you nor do I have the space for it. Price didn't seem bad but I hesitate to buy anything like that where you can find the same brand at sams club.

Yea, I should have changed the info a bit, but I normally let my guard down on NES. Too many good people so I assume they all are good, then I get screwed by a few a**hats who find their way on here.

Back
Top Bottom